• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Pace Bowlers (Tests)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But that would say a lot more about your ability as a batsman than it would their respective prowess to the level of players who actually had to face them. Lee was basically a pressure release valve for 3/4 of his career. The 2005 Ashes being a particular example.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I mean what you say about Wagner applies just as much to anyone else with a good record as a bowler. So this just boils down to feelings of nostalgia that older bowlers were better just because.
No it doesn't. I'm fully aware everyone at the moment are reaping positive comparisons by statheads. current bowlers are not as good as some would like to believe. The absolute top of the crop are still special, but not as special as are being made out by numbers alone.

Xix2565

International Debutant
And that doesn't apply to past eras where not everyone was fully professional/competent and those players that were dominated with impunity, regardless of conditions? I'm not really interested in Wagner v Thompson, but this idea that modern bowlers aren't good just because they got play in this era, as if that's something in their control or isn't applicable to every other era.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Since the voting opened for the 39th spot, there have only been 4 actual votes but plenty of discussion after Burgey foisted his opinions on the thread. I'll leave the voting open for another day or two so we can get back on track.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Based on the quality of the recent voting, no doubt this spot will be filled by Sreesanth. Unless he's edged out by Ewan Chatfield.

1649383854474.png

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Only 6 votes in for the 39th spot and yet there are members who wish to extend beyond a list of 40. I agree there are some worthy candidates yet to be selected but keeping the thread going depends on interest and voting. I'll keep the voting open for another 24 hours.