• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition (aka WWIII) - No 21 - 30

Sparkley

Banned
''Yes, I definitely remember Kallis being rated amongst the best bowlers of his era''

That is a moot point. Swann is the number one spinner in the world today. It doesn't automatically make him better than a Kumble or a Saqlain just because they had to play in the same era as Murali and Warne and were never number one as a result of that.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had Headley and Hutton from that bunch. Should've had Botham and Lillee too, thinking about it.

Who put Beefy and Punter at #1?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I had everyone bar the Indians who made this 10. :ph34r:

It's the just way it turned out.. Gavaskar was very close, Dev was quite close and although I would be happy enough with Dravid squeezing into a top 50; I didn't really consider him for my top 25.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey Burgey, do you think there is an Australian cricketer who makes it to these lists and is overrated?
I don't know who's on the full list yet, neither do you.

I thought I already said in the other thread that I didn't have Border in my top 25, and he's probably my favourite player of all time. I don't think I'd have Waugh in my top 50 either. But he'd be close.

So how about we just wait and see who ends up where?

Having said that, I reserve the right to **** can other peoples' choices :ph34r:

Last edited:

stuw

Cricket Spectator
I had everyone bar the Indians who made this 10. :ph34r:

It's the just way it turned out.. Gavaskar was very close, Dev was quite close and although I would be happy enough with Dravid squeezing into a top 50; I didn't really consider him for my top 25.
So ricky ponting would make your top 25 but dravid would not make your top 50:huh:
Thats bizzare considering there is not a lot of gap between the two.

Jager

International Debutant
Dravid definitely deserves a top spot in my opinion, he's just such a gentleman and worked so hard. He held an entire team together :) I'd put Miller right up near first place if I was to redo my list too.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid definitely deserves a top spot in my opinion, he's just such a gentleman and worked so hard. He held an entire team together :) I'd put Miller right up near first place if I was to redo my list too.
Reckon this should be allowed without question TBH.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I had him at no.7 - I don't actually reckon I'll be his highest ranking. Someone ranked him no.3 last time around IIRC, and it wasn't me.
I wanted to put him higher but could only justify #16. My sort of player to a tee in a few ways but the exact opposite in a few others.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I wanted to put him higher but could only justify #16. My sort of player to a tee in a few ways but the exact opposite in a few others.
Number 16 is still pretty bloody good, and give or take I reckon that's about where he'll end up.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
All-rounders are generally overrated in these sort of exercises (look at Kapil and Botham), so I guess Miller will be in top 15.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All-rounders are generally overrated in these sort of exercises (look at Kapil and Botham), so I guess Miller will be in top 15.
Haha I agree with you about so many things when it comes to ranking cricketers over time, in particular the processes and what's important, but that's one thing we'll always differ greatly on. :p

The difference between, for example, Miller's batting and McGrath's batting is always going to be a lot bigger than the difference between their bowling. I think in all our hair-splitting and personal preferences, we lose sight of just how little difference there is between the quality of two great bowlers or two great batsmen; if you can split them by something that's an obvious point of difference like lower order batting or useful change bowling, then you should. We have a natural bias against doing that though IMO in our efforts to rate the greatest at each discipline in order.

It's a different thing altogether when picking all-time teams because of diminishing returns, diseconomies of scale or whatever you want to call it - and I think this is another thing that biases us, because the quest to pick the greatest XI is always there - but when just rating players in order I think it's something we have a natural inclination not to do.