• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks Top 25 Bowlers of All Time (Version 2010)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Same as last time.
Yeah man, Trueman deserves better.

How is this for a stat?

Among the 7 bowlers selected till now, 5 played at least one test match in the 10 years 1991-2000. And none played a test match in the 50 years 1921-1970!

Himannv

International Coach
Yeah man, Trueman deserves better.

How is this for a stat?

Among the 7 bowlers selected till now, 5 played at least one test match in the 10 years 1991-2000. And none played a test match in the 50 years 1921-1970!
Yeah agreed. Most bowlers in those era's are hardly ever spoken about. I guess people are more likely to vote for players whom they have seen as opposed to others.

Himannv

International Coach
But that's not the case in batsmen's thread so far.
I reckon thats possibly because some pre-war players are a bit too good to ignore. So far I think its 3 pre-war picks and 3 more modern picks. Only Sobers represents all those middle years.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon thats possibly because some pre-war players are a bit too good to ignore. So far I think its 3 pre-war picks and 3 more modern picks. Only Sobers represents all those middle years.
In terms of watching them live, I'm sure most of us haven't seen Hobbs, Bradman, Hammond and Sobers live. I believe that can be said about Viv Richards too, to an extent. So, that can't be the reason why bowlers from previous eras aren't being selected.

According to the numbers, Lohmann, O'Reilly, Trueman etc. are as good as say Hammond or Sobers. Bradman is a different story altogether.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
3 - George Lohmann
2 - Bill O'Reilly
1 - Charlie Turner

I get the feeling I'll be posting that over and over again for a while.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
3 - George Lohmann
2 - Bill O'Reilly
1 - Charlie Turner

I get the feeling I'll be posting that over and over again for a while.
Lohmann and O'Reilly should be selected at some point, can't see Charlie Turner making the top 25 though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of watching them live, I'm sure most of us haven't seen Hobbs, Bradman, Hammond and Sobers live. I believe that can be said about Viv Richards too, to an extent. So, that can't be the reason why bowlers from previous eras aren't being selected.

According to the numbers, Lohmann, O'Reilly, Trueman etc. are as good as say Hammond or Sobers. Bradman is a different story altogether.
I think the reason is that with exception of Trueman, O'Reilly and Grimmet, most pre-1970 bowlers either played too few tests (Lohman, Spofforth, Tyson) or did not have spectacular bowling averages (Wes Hall, Alec Bedsar) or lacked enough 5WI/10WM (Miller, Lindwall).

In due course of time they will be voted for though.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Personally think that Lindwall was a fantastic bowler. Hopefully he'll grab a spot sooner or later.