• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Premier League - Draft (RESTARTED)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
True and currently i would have atleast 2 other Srilankan Spinners ahead of Murali if we were to play a series starting tomorrow.
I wouldn't.

Even though Murali has declined over the past 2 years, he's still far superior to every other spinner around, with the possible exception of Swann.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Spark,can you edit the surnames with the first name Initials in the list instead of nicknames?

Will become tougher to search and more likely to miss someone as the list grows later on.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If other people are like me they're probably a bit confused as to how the whole thing will work in terms of weightings of current and career form and Test and FC numbers.
Well the weightings are geared to reflect reality as well as possible AFAIK. The best advice I can give everyone is to pick players if they were to play a game tomorrow. Obviously with the number of players being drafted the standard of the competition will be somewhere between FC and Test so both records are relevant.
But as has been mentioned before Rohit Sharma won't/shouldn't be better than ABDV etc etc

Obviously Murali hasn't been excellent in the very recent past but the bloke has taken wickets for fun for so long that I'd back him to be excellent still.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Obviously Murali hasn't been excellent in the very recent past but the bloke has taken wickets for fun for so long that I'd back him to be excellent still.
Since the 2008 India series he's played 10 Tests - 3 in India where he's always struggled, and one on an absolute highway in Pakistan.

Despite that, of the spinning fraternity only Swann, and maybe Shakib, have really outperformed him. He's still one of the best spinners around - he only seems crap because of who he is and his past performances.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Draft round 3:

1. Marcuss - S Katich
  2. Shri - C Woakes
  3. GingerFurball - MEK Hussey
  4. Cevno - S Chanderpaul
  5. weeman27bob - T Dilshan
  6. Spark - M Clarke
  7. Samuel_Vimes - Brad Haddin
  8. Got_Spin - Graeme Smith
  9. Himannv - Thilan Samaraweera
  10. marc71178 - Mark Ramprakash
  11. Howe_zat - Steven Finn
  12. centurymaker/vcs
  13. GIMH
  14. Noble One
  15. Teja.
  16. Daemon/Flem274*

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Marcuss has all last seasons simming stats tbh.
Yeah but the way they were worked out for this season is a bit different, so players will change from that for no real apparent reason. Last season's database was pretty buggy and crap in the way it worked which is why I was so keen to get you to use this season's (which, for those who aren't members of CricSim, is completed now and currently in use - so you don't have to worry :p).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well the weightings are geared to reflect reality as well as possible AFAIK. The best advice I can give everyone is to pick players if they were to play a game tomorrow.
I used to tell people this on CricSim but I felt at times that they took it a little too literally and factored in extremely recent form too heavily (eg. "Dilshan didn't score many runs in his last Test series so he's out of form and I won't pick him").

The database is designed through a series a complex formulas, and its aim is to replicate what would happen across a 21-round, 18-team season starting tomorrow. Extremely short-term form isn't really relevant because a player who's just had a bad series or two would pick himself back up over the course of 30 weeks or however long it'd taken to finish a competition that long. If someone has genuinely declined over a couple of years then they won't do so, though.

People who tried to get clever and second guess the database in CPL ended up being burnt (Julian's famous quote is a classic example). It reflects reality a little more than you'd imagine.

Doing well here also requires people to understand that Test failures who dominate strong domestic competitions would thrive in a competition like this where playing for their country isn't on the line and the overall standard is lower.

But yeah, basically, pick who you think would go well if this was real. The people who have done that have fared the best on other sites.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Well the weightings are geared to reflect reality as well as possible AFAIK. The best advice I can give everyone is to pick players if they were to play a game tomorrow.
I used to tell people this on CricSim but I felt at times that they took it a little too literally and factored in extremely recent form too heavily (eg. "Dilshan didn't score many runs in his last Test series so he's out of form and I won't pick him").
Well that's just not cricket. I didn't pick Chris Gayle, because I presumed that if there were a game tomorrow, he'd make himself unavailable. :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well that's just not cricket. I didn't pick Chris Gayle, because I presumed that if there were a game tomorrow, he'd make himself unavailable. :laugh:
This is a big-money, high-profile domestic competition featuring players from all over the world playing alongside each other. Of course he'd be available. :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman

The database is designed through a series a complex formulas, and its aim is to replicate what would happen across a 21-round, 18-team season starting tomorrow. Extremely short-term form isn't really relevant because a player who's just had a bad series or two would pick himself back up over the course of 30 weeks or however long it'd taken to finish a competition that long. If someone has genuinely declined over a couple of years then they won't do so, though.

People who tried to get clever and second guess the database in CPL ended up being burnt (Julian's famous quote is a classic example). It reflects reality a little more than you'd imagine.

Doing well here also requires people to understand that Test failures who dominate strong domestic competitions would thrive in a competition like this where playing for their country isn't on the line and the overall standard is lower.

But yeah, basically, pick who you think would go well if this was real. The people who have done that have fared the best on other sites.
In other words, you might as well award me the trophy now?