• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing Clichés

Team <batting first> will be looking for a good start, while Team <bowling first> for some quick wickets in the first few overs.

Wickets are the key.

What clever cricket that is.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batsman comes down the pitch and bludgeons spinner straight over his head 20 rows back for six:

"He won't be disappointed to see him doing that".

Really? Because I'd be pretty ****ing shattered if I tossed up a reasonable offering and someone had to fetch the ball using a taxi.
McGain must reckon he's around the corner from a 10-fer by that rationale.

bagapath

International Captain
Ravi Shastri at the presentation ceremony after every frigging one-day game: "Ladies and Gentlemen. We had a wonderful game of cricket. Over six hundred/five hundred/four hundred/ three hundred/ two hundred runs were scored and the match went right down to the wire"

Could be 115 all out and 116 for 2 in 23.4 overs or 330/6 and 319 all out. but this damn routine never changes.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Usually by Ian Chappell in regards to Sehwag:

Context: an over before tea, 15-20 session before stumps, India chasing 600. Sehwag gets out cheaply playing an ambitious shot.

"Thats just how he plays."

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"He's put him down"

For me has always conjured up an image of a vet standing over a terminally ill family pet

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Boycs saying "As Fred Trueman would've said 'That were too good for the likes of thee, lad'" when a ball goes past the edge of a lower order batsman.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Batsman comes down the pitch and bludgeons spinner straight over his head 20 rows back for six:

"He won't be disappointed to see him doing that".

Really? Because I'd be pretty ****ing shattered if I tossed up a reasonable offering and someone had to fetch the ball using a taxi.
"When he hits it, it stays hit"
"The Adelaide Oval scoreboard...."
Above are 3 of the most annoying for me, particularly the last 2.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Can't stand Hussain (who I mostly like as a commentator) employing the verb 'to whack' repeatedly when referring to any batsman who has ever cleared the ropes.

Also, (and this applies to many) commentators who declare the ball 'out of the ground', when it clearly is only in the stands.