• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just came across a copy of each Beldam/Fry. What's a reasonable price for each?
Much depends on what sort of nick they're in - Bowlers tends to be a bit pricier - if they were in top condition a dealer would want £250 and £200, but condition is everything and for something that was clean and complete but has some faults then half that and rebinds or damaged copies even less - unless it's a really classy rebind and they match, but even so they are not always easy to shift. Although you virtually never see it they did come with a very flimsy and basic dust jacket back in the day - if they still had those then that would up it

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

Ended up as $180 apiece, so pretty much £100. Pretty reasonable condition I guess.

Kinda can't believe that I actually own these tbh. Grabbing a copy of Great Batsmen was probably the end-goal for collecting cricket books, and I've got it with my first serious purchase.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Much depends on what sort of nick they're in - Bowlers tends to be a bit pricier - if they were in top condition a dealer would want £250 and £200, but condition is everything and for something that was clean and complete but has some faults then half that and rebinds or damaged copies even less - unless it's a really classy rebind and they match, but even so they are not always easy to shift. Although you virtually never see it they did come with a very flimsy and basic dust jacket back in the day - if they still had those then that would up it
Oh interesting, I didn't know this!

I own a copy of Great Batsmen and have seen Great Bowlers on the bookshelves of various cricket booksellers and I've never seen a dustjacket!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
- The Ashes centenary series
- Australian Cricket Legends past and present (Jack Pollard)
- Crcket Yearbook 1992 Featuring the World Cup (edited by Richie Benaud)
- The Hamlyn Encyclopedia of Cricket (Peter Wynne-Thomas and Peter Arnold)
- Chappelli has the last laugh
- Greg Chappell (Adrian McGregor)
- Cricketer at the Crossroads (Max Walker)
- Fifteen Paces (Alan Davidson)

They are all gathering dust at my parents house.

Im going to try read Davos book, but not that interested in the others.

neville cardus

International Debutant
My copy of Home Gordon's Background to Cricket is a bit smudgy atop page p. 164, beginning with the words "in order to obtain notification of his selection, and at once..." Would someone care to snap a photograph of this page for me?

neville cardus

International Debutant
Anyone know of a good, empathetic biography of Hutton? I don't feel I have any sort of handle on the guy. On the one hand, he insisted that he would captain England only as a professional; on the other, he did everything in his power to look and sound like a gentleman -- even to the point of taking elocution lessons to suppress his Yorkshire accent.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Anyone know of a good, empathetic biography of Hutton? I don't feel I have any sort of handle on the guy. On the one hand, he insisted that he would captain England only as a professional; on the other, he did everything in his power to look and sound like a gentleman -- even to the point of taking elocution lessons to suppress his Yorkshire accent.
Hutton did that? Sounds like the kind of thing I'd associate more with Sutcliffe. (Cardus apparently wrote that Sutcliffe eventually spoke "not with the accents of Yorkshire but of Teddington").

neville cardus

International Debutant
Yes, Michael Parkinson says something about it somewhere. The claim is also made here:

neville cardus

International Debutant
David Mitchell writes beautifully. But he does not know much about cricket. From Utopia Avenue (2020):

The captain, a boy named Whitehead, ran up to the wicket and delivered a yorker. The batsman smacked the ball in Jasper’s direction.
Whitehead bowled. The wicket leaped from the ground. ‘Hoooowwww-zzzzzzaaaaaaaaattt!’
Yorkers, notoriously, are difficult to "smack." And no-one asks, "Howzat?" when the stumps are parting.

Chubb

International Regular
David Mitchell writes beautifully. But he does not know much about cricket. From Utopia Avenue (2020):

Yorkers, notoriously, are difficult to "smack." And no-one asks, "Howzat?" when the stumps are parting.
Good grief. You'd expect better from him.