• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anything by Frith, Arlott and Batchelor is worth reading

The other stuff is more variable - we did a series of articles in the review section called 'The Ashes in Print' you might find useful

I'd also recommend you don't touch Pavilion Library reprints or Sportsman's Book Club or Readers Union editions or anything without a dust jacket - the first editions shouldn't be any more expensive

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Oh, what's wrong with Sportsman's Book Club editions? Are they abridged, or prone to typos, or something? (I have a dozen or so, but they were all fairly cheap second-hand copies so I'm not going to care too much).

fredfertang

Oh, what's wrong with Sportsman's Book Club editions? Are they abridged, or prone to typos, or something? (I have a dozen or so, but they were all fairly cheap second-hand copies so I'm not going to care too much).
I'm just a sad bastard who's precious about first editions and dust jackets :)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The problem I've got over here is sourcing them! I can only find a very limited number of quasi-local options for older cricket books, unfortunately

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I'm just a sad bastard who's precious about first editions and dust jackets :)
Love first editions too. Should probably start collecting them more seriously. I am focussing on reading what I have for the time being though as far as cricket books are concerned.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The problem I've got over here is sourcing them! I can only find a very limited number of quasi-local options for older cricket books, unfortunately
Wow, really? England is one of the best places for cricket books in the world. You get them cheapest there. You can even buy 'a lot' of books for extremely cheap on ebay uk.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I found an autograph book in an antique store this morning. It features almost every South African cricketer of the Fifties, together with virtually every touring party to the country that decade. Bargain of a lifetime: It cost me the equivalent of forty quid.

fredfertang

I found an autograph book in an antique store this morning. It features almost every South African cricketer of the Fifties, together with virtually every touring party to the country that decade. Bargain of a lifetime: It cost me the equivalent of forty quid.
Post some pics then

neville cardus

International Debutant
Also picked up a signed first edition of one of Archie MacLaren's books.

Not much of a signature collector myself, but I know value when I see it. Once I've gotten bored of these things, I'll have to learn to use eBay.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The History is what I am reading. Some things which he argues,

The Australian cricket board are dodgy as hell. Complete autocrats. Basically all the problems with WSC can be traced a lot earlier (the 1912 walk out for instance).

Bradman, at the behest of MCC, forced the Aussie Board to book and tour the 'non-white' test countries who were being rebuffed by the Board. Without Bradman Australian cricket and cricket in general would have been unbelievably insular, and would have been completely eclipsed by the football codes during the 1950s. Bradman the administrator is a real hero here.

He seems to insinuate MCC when dishing out Bodyline blame. It is depicted as this really premeditated thing. Plum Warner's presence was ominous.

Benaud (and Worrell) saved cricket - fairly standard stuff here.