• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose the two opening bowlers for Post Packer World XI

Who are the TWO opening bowlers for the Post Packer Dream XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
These are both true. Competition for wickets was fierce particularly with Lindwall and the hugely-underrated Bill Johnston, with a supporting cast including - at various times and to varying degrees - the likes of Johnson, Toshack, McCool, Archer, Benaud and Davidson.

You're absolutely right that he didn't do as much bowling as he might have, and this was due to the back injury he suffered when he crash landed his Mosquito during WWII. While he played 55 Tests, he didn't do what most people would consider 55 Tests worth of bowling. Hence the relatively ordinary wpm ratio.
Yeah this is all true. Miller was cut short in his prime really. He could have been so much better statistically if he hadn't got the injury. Oh well at least he survived the war and came back and showed us what he did.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It's the difference of a good batsman vs. an average batsman against an all-time great bowler vs. a good bowler
I don't think I'd put Hadlee in the "average" batsmen category. It depends who you think is average though.

I'd say it's the difference between:

A good batsmen vs someone who can hold the bat if need be; and
A great bowler (probably outside the all-time greats vs an all-time great.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
True - his career was brilliant enough for us to sometimes overlook the fact that, due to the war, Miller played a grand total of one Test before his 27th birthday. And even that wasn't actually recognised as an official Test match until two years later!

Anyway, I'll stop making this thread into a Miller tribute now. :)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, Botham and Imran offer a perfect example why I think that way. Go by the raw figures. Imran scored 30.2 runs per innings, Botham scored 32.3 runs per innings. Yet their averages of 37 and 33 respectively suggests that Imran contributed a lot more to his team with the bat than Botham did. What good are not outs if you're still contributing less to a team than the guy who did get out?
My approach to raw figures:

Batting average
  • Divide runs scored by number of times dismissed.
  • Where a batsman happens to bat for 5 minutes and makes 2 not out, do not treat it as effectively 2-and-out, because that would quite obviously produce an unfairly distorted batting average.
For all-rounders

Subtract bowling average from batting average.

Simple!

stephen

My approach to raw figures:

Batting average
  • Divide runs scored by number of times dismissed.
  • Where a batsman happens to bat for 5 minutes and makes 2 not out, do not treat it as effectively 2-and-out, because that would quite obviously produce an unfairly distorted batting average.
For all-rounders

Subtract bowling average from batting average.

Simple!
So by this reasoning Kallis is as good as Sobers? Botham worse than pretty much everyone else?

stephen

Same ground 8 years earlier was just as good a spell of bowling overall. Difference is, he was threatening all day back then. 2005 his opening spell was sheer awesome but afterwards, was okay.

Lord = McGrathville.
He really exploited that ground better than anyone else. Picked up a Michelle there every test he played.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So by this reasoning Kallis is as good as Sobers? Botham worse than pretty much everyone else?
Kallis is overtly underrated.
Yep. How does someone possibly, in this era, become such a quality batsman and bowler? It was different in Sobers's day, cricket was so much less professional and occasionally you would come across exceptional talent in two areas. But with the amount of training and work people do today in order to be as good as they can in sport, I find it incredible that someone can be SO good at batting, bowling and slip catching. Kallis is probably in my all-time XI.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously it's not the only way of analysing a player's ability or his contribution.

But it is a very good rule of thumb, for the simple reason that an all-rounder has to bat and bowl on the same pitches, and in the same conditions.

(Kapil may be a little hardly treated here, because he was a fast bowler who played much of his cricket in conditions that favoured spin bowling).

In Kallis' case, the similarity between his stats and Sobers' are striking. Sobers is in my view the greater player because he was a better and more attacking batsman, and this was both players' primary suit. Kallis as a bowler didn't have Sobers' versatility but his record is nonetheless highly impressive and his bowling is often, as W might say, misunderestimated.

In Botham's case, his stats really don't lie.

(1) Overall career performance: he was, on balance, a very good all-rounder, as reflected by his averaging 5 more with bat than ball.

(2) First half of his career: he was one of the finest all-rounders in history, as reflected by his averaging (?) 18 more with the bat than ball. (40 v 22 IIRC).

(3) Second half of his career: he was bloated, complacent and mulleted. His performances were fitful and infrequent and he scarcely deserved his place in the England team, let alone a World XI. His stats, once again, reflect this perfectly: he averaged much more with the ball than the bat.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
I hope you guys dont run out of steam before we start the no.6 poll where precisely these same issues will be raised

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In Kallis' case, the similarity between his stats and Sobers' are striking. Sobers is in my view the greater player because he was a better and more attacking batsman, and this was both players' primary suit. Kallis as a bowler didn't have Sobers' versatility but his record is nonetheless highly impressive and his bowling is often, as W might say, misunderestimated.
I don't know whether Kallis was as good as Sobers, but I definitely think he belongs in the debate. When Sobers played, the standard you needed to push yourself to in order to play international cricket to a good standard was lower- there was still an amateur ethos, fitness wasn't so vital, fielding was less intense. This is the case for all players compared across eras- it's generally not fair to hold it against players from earlier eras.

However, on the other hand, you have to give Kallis the credit for being good enough to bat and bowl to the standard he has in this era. I think people are so accustomed to it that it's forgotten how awesome an achievement it really is. It's almost the equivalent of one of the greatest footballers in the world also being good enough to represent their country at rugby. Yet both skills are combined into the same sport, giving one incredible match-winning machine. I haven't even started on his slip-catching.

And he's kept on doing it for years and years and years without being burnt out. His 14-year career has contained 128 tests and almost 300 ODIs. He has over 20,000 international runs and is just short of 500 international wickets. And he's STILL going!

Kallis gets nowhere near the respect he deserves IMO. He maybe isn't glamorous or inspiring- he's never hit six sixes off an over, he takes most of his wickets through tight, economical bowling, he scores with a lower strike rate that a lot of his contemporaries. But he just quietly keeps on churning out the runs and taking the wickets. In his own way, he truly is one of the most incredible cricketers around.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Though I voted for Greenidge in the openers' poll (alongwith Gavaskar), I won't mind if Hayden wins that poll....unlike this poll where I voted for Hadlee and want him to win over McGrath so badly...though I am almost a die-hard fan of McGrath, and I think all of Marshall, Hadlee, Imran, Wasim and McGrath are very worthy candidates...I wouldn't have cared about the fast bowlers' poll had Murali won the spinner's poll, then I would have been happy to vote for Hadlee for the 4th bowler option over Warne...But if Hadlee and Murali fight for the 4th bowler option, it'll be so hard for me to choose one since I want both of them to be in the playing XI so badly...

Last edited: