• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose the last player for Post Packer XI

Select the last player for the Post-Packer XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
mcgrath was champion bowler of the highest caliber. but i wont ever rank him above hadlee, imran and marshall (or below, for that matter).

with all things being equal as bowlers, i would prefer each of them over mcgrath because they are superior batsmen in varying degrees. in a team like this that is likely to have richards and gilchrist 5 and 6, lower order support from imran, hadlee, marshall and warne would let them play their natural game - which is blasting the ball in all directions - without a worry in the world. you can choose between murali and mcgrath for the last spot. but i think we've got the right fast bowlers to lead the attack. there could be other combinations that can be equally lethal (akram, ambrose and mcgrath or garner, holding and donald) but none better than what we've got already.

Slifer

International Captain
Fair assesment that. But then again i dont think the diff in batting between Murali (as much as i like him) and Mcgrath is enough to include him over Mcgrath on the basis of their respective batting skills

bagapath

International Captain
Fair assesment that. But then again i dont think the diff in batting between Murali (as much as i like him) and Mcgrath is enough to include him over Mcgrath on the basis of their respective batting skills
I didnt say that. I chose murali because we have enough fast bowling power in the team. murali and warne together is a a scary proposition for any opposition batting line - up

Slifer

International Captain
except for india. which is my point. MCgrath doesnt really have a bogey team or country to speak of, as opposed to murali who does.

bagapath

International Captain
this is the last day for this poll. by midnight india time it will be locked. so please vote as soon as possible if you havent done so. JBH! is your vote in, mate?

bagapath

International Captain
Murali wins by a considerable margin, though not everyone is happy I know. Gonna have him included in the team. If for any reason you guys want to have a snap poll between him and Mcgrath (open only for two days) then I am game for it.

JBH001

International Regular
Murali wins by a considerable margin, though not everyone is happy I know. Gonna have him included in the team. If for any reason you guys want to have a snap poll between him and Mcgrath (open only for two days) then I am game for it.
Thanks for the heads up, Bagapath. Voted for Murali as he made the most sense.

Dont know about the snap poll either, there were 15 - 20 votes left outstanding, so I dont know if people really cared enough to vote en masse for the last spot. Admittedly, I am biased towards Murali in this vote, although if it werent tight I would have voted for Botham. Neither do I see what Mcgrath would add in a side with Hadlee.

But I think it your poll, Bagapath, to conduct as you see fit, and I see a lot of people whinging and moaning when they dont really do any of the poll work. So if you want to have a snap poll go for it, otherwise I see no need to pander to forum opinion, and to therefore do a snap poll just for the sake of it.

bagapath

International Captain
funnygirl wants akram in the snap poll. am sure someone would want kallis and ikki would want ponting. i am thinking of doing a kalaignar karunanidi here. promise something and never deliver it!

note: that is an old indian politician's name.

Fusion

Global Moderator
funnygirl wants akram in the snap poll. am sure someone would want kallis and ikki would want ponting. i am thinking of doing a kalaignar karunanidi here. promise something and never deliver it!

I’m going to vote for a pacer because I like the 4 + 1 balance. So if the only choice I have is to vote for McGrath, then that’s who I’ll be voting for. But ideally I would like to vote for Akram. I think he provides the variety that many are looking for, plus he solidifies the batting that much more.

adharcric

International Coach
Why? Just to appease those who voted for McGrath, didn't get their way and are now whining about it? If you genuinely think we should have a seamer vs spinner poll, then fair enough. Otherwise, Murali won this fair and square.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, I reckon it'd be fairer.

Precambrian

Banned

Kalaignar promised Rice @ Rs.2 and delivered didnt he? And the free TVs? :p

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Why? Just to appease those who voted for McGrath, didn't get their way and are now whining about it? If you genuinely think we should have a seamer vs spinner poll, then fair enough. Otherwise, Murali won this fair and square.
This. I voted for McGrath, but Murali won this outright. Let's move on.