• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chelsea or Manyoo- who do you hate more?

Who do you hate more- Chelsea or United?

• Total voters

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This thread has turned amusing, Man U fans getting angry about people being angry abot hating 'em.

Actually don't have much problem with foreigners liking the big 4. Don't really expect them to do anything else. It's the people from England who show no interest whatsoever in their local teams that gets me down. The bores in the pub that tell me when I walk in with my City shirt on "you don't want to support them, support a good team like United" when they've never been to Old Trafford in their life. Has I've said before my best mate is a United fan, but he used to come to watch Exeter, and has been at Wembley both times. It was a good year for him last year. His dad comes from Salford.

I also despise Ferguson, I believe his intimidation of refs has gone too far. Some will say "they all do that", but IMHO Fergie has made them all do it to counter him. It never used to be this bad before Fergies dominance. Interesting that the bad decision against them came after a Moyes fergie-style rant against Riley.

What's frustrating is I believe United are a great team to watch, and would win things anyway without the veiled threats.

Rippers comments are utterly insulting, BTW. Passion and shouting from the terraces does not always lead to violence.:@

In fact a lot of the Hoolies tend to just be there for the fights and aren't that bothered about the team. Real fans realise that it is utterly detrimental to their team to get involved in trouble.

Xuhaib

International Coach
:laugh: At least your honest.
and whats wrong in that? I have no emotional attachment to a Hull or an Exeter so why would I support them ofcourse I will go for a team that is always in chance for the title and has the star players.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah this, never understood how one can get so wrapped up in the affairs of a sporting team that it becomes more than a weekend hobby. What is the ****ing point of English fans (i use the term loosely) going on a rampage of destruction just becasue they lose a game of ****ing soccer? until somone can validate this sort of behaviour, all football fans who partake in this are somewhere between the scum under my carpet and the rotten floorboards that it rests on. Anyone who says it's passion or some **** like that can get ****ed, throwing a chair through some poor german shop owners window is not showing passion for your team, grow up, get a hair cut, job and a grip on reality, a pumped up bit of leather going into a net is not the be all and end all and if your life depends on your team putting said leather into a net more than the opposition, just **** off, die and do us all a favour by not having kids. This is aimed only at those who partake in riots/stabbings/pitch invasions/murders etc, not the average joe who works 9-5 (or equivalent shift work), and happily stands in the terraces singing songs in the cold, if that's what average joe wants to do, then average joe can do so, just dont **** everyone else up because your team lost a GAME of soccer.
That is one hell of a rant. Actually that can apply to Italian football fans. Heck even Inter fans are no saints, what with a bunch of them throwing a moped off the top tier of the San Siro (I have been there and it is quite impressive to drag a moped up there), or throw flares or fans of two seperate clubs even have a punch-on when they randomly meet at a servo in the middle of Tuscany (and they are not playing each other that weekend).

Oi **** I will have to seek damages for breach of copyright since it is reserved for me.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually don't have much problem with foreigners liking the big 4. Don't really expect them to do anything else. It's the people from England who show no interest whatsoever in their local teams that gets me down. The bores in the pub that tell me when I walk in with my City shirt on "you don't want to support them, support a good team like United" when they've never been to Old Trafford in their life. Has I've said before my best mate is a United fan, but he used to come to watch Exeter, and has been at Wembley both times. It was a good year for him last year. His dad comes from Salford.
The bolded part is indeed an intensely annoying attitude amongst a few fans of big clubs- the "why do you support a not-that-successful club?" brigade. It's really just another incarnation of what I'm ranting about, the "why do you support that not-that-close-to-where-you-live club?" brigade. Really, you support Exeter (i presume) because you enjoy it. Noone should have a problem with it, including the pub bores who melt the **** off everyone. Why should you have a problem with someone else choosing to support United or Chelsea?

grecian

I'm enjoying supporting Exeter ATM, but to say I've enjoyed it throughout the 30 years:laugh:

I'm finding your argument bizarre, TBH Uppercut. If you really are just a casual supporter who does it for lolz, why are you so angry at people who resent you for it:unsure:

Yes, many of us do take it too seriously, I'll admit it, because we believe the club is an integral part of our community and a running thread throughout our lives. We don't as such resent, more not understand glory-hunters.

Uppercut

I'm enjoying supporting Exeter ATM, but to say I've enjoyed it throughout the 30 years:laugh:

I'm finding your argument bizarre, TBH Uppercut. If you really are just a casual supporter who does it for lolz, why are you so angry at people who resent you for it:unsure:

Yes, many of us do take it too seriously, I'll admit it, because we believe the club is an integral part of our community and a running thread throughout our lives. We don't as such resent, more not understand glory-hunters.
The thing is, i'm anything but a casual supporter. I barely ever miss a United match, I've supported them fanatically for as long as I can remember, I can probably recall almost any match we've played from about the past four or five years (including those FA cup ties against Exeter :p). I'm properly pathetically obsessed.

That doesn't mean it doesn't annoy me when people in the same boat as me act smugly superior to the casual fans.

Pothas

Pretty much agree with that, It is easy to get anoyed with armchair fans of the big 4 (just listen to 606) but hold nothing against them at all. In fact when I was younger I used to follow Newcastle as well as Brentford, this was because as mentioned by others they played great football. However in the last few years I lost interest because for me to really follow and love a club I need to see them play live on a regular basis, but for many people that is not the case. I also have a general dislike for the hype of the premiership but I would never turn down a chance to see one of the big 4 live. (unless the Bees were at home that weeked)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Such people just piss me off. Dedication? **** that. People go to see their teams on cold January evenings because they enjoy doing it. I may enjoy having *** a lot but i don't consider myself smugly superior for doing it in a dirty alley while other people with less "dedication" stick to ****ing in a bed.

Football's something you watch for fun. What's wrong with someone who doesn't enjoy it as much watching it less? The hatred is bizarre...
Nah, think you've got this wrong. It's been a couple of years since I was able to do ever home and away, but if you honestly think I enjoyed standing on the Moss Rose terrace in sub-zero temperatures in December watching an LDV vans Trophy game then you must be smoking crack! The point is that it is about more than fun; sure I'd enjoy the game a lot of the time, but I went to games like that because I simply had to, I couldn't allow myself not to, because I couldn't not be there. I certainly didn't spend hours thinking "Me and 12 others will be at Macclesfield tomorrow!" - it was nothing but dedication.

This is the fundamental difference between lower league fans and the rest IMO. We know it's gonna be turd 90% of the time but we're dedicated to the team and we love the club. It's not about enjoyment, enjoying it is a bonus.

Uppercut

Nah, think you've got this wrong. It's been a couple of years since I was able to do ever home and away, but if you honestly think I enjoyed standing on the Moss Rose terrace in sub-zero temperatures in December watching an LDV vans Trophy game then you must be smoking crack! The point is that it is about more than fun; sure I'd enjoy the game a lot of the time, but I went to games like that because I simply had to, I couldn't allow myself not to, because I couldn't not be there. I certainly didn't spend hours thinking "Me and 12 others will be at Macclesfield tomorrow!" - it was nothing but dedication.

This is the fundamental difference between lower league fans and the rest IMO. We know it's gonna be turd 90% of the time but we're dedicated to the team and we love the club. It's not about enjoyment, enjoying it is a bonus.
Of course you enjoyed it. Or rather, you enjoyed going more than you would have enjoyed not going. Otherwise you wouldn't have went.

I use the term "enjoyment" loosely. Being a football fan means a lot of the time you don't enjoy it- and that applies to fans of big clubs too. It's great being a United fan at the moment but when they lose it hits hard. Distinctly remembering Ludek Miklosko and Andy Cole's finishing throwing the title at Blackburn in '95, Marc Overmars's crucial winner in '98, Costinha dumping us out of the Champion's League in the 93rd minute in '04 and a humiliating 3-0 loss to AC Milan in the semis two years ago don't leave me thinking, "Oh Gosh, what fun it is being a tragically obsessed football fan". I can't choose not to support them when it's not especially fun.

But in the long run, following football is certainly something i enjoy. Imagine living without it and you'll agree with me. You might not have glorious moments like John Terry falling on his arse as a Tranmere fan, but you have fantastic Dave Challinor-inspired cup runs to remember when your team defies all expectations. You can't watch them take on Arsenal on ITV on a Tuesday night but you're capable as far as the rest of your life allows of seeing them play in person any game you like. For all the dire performances and cold, wet days you may have to endure there'll be moments of brilliance when you smash a brilliant last-minute winner to beat a team you particularly dislike. And it doesn't matter how rare such moments are, because when they don't happen often they're so special when they do that it makes the whole thing worthwhile.

So yeah, of course i enjoy following United. That's why i do it. The emotional investment has gone well beyond the stage of being voluntary but that doesn't mean my life's not better for it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You're making assumptions about my state of mind IMO. I might well have enjoyed being in a nice warm pub more on that Tuesday night, in fact I certainly would have done, I enjoyed our goal and **** all else. Games like that are 0% about enjoyment, they are all about being there because you feel ti is your duty to get behind the team. Much the same as when I knew I was going home to dirty nappies and a bunch of tidying up to help with at home, would I have enjoyed myself more had I gone the pub from work? In many ways, yes, but there was only ever one option for that decision, and it was the same with the whites.

Of coruse, there are times where I enjoy it so so much, much as being with my kids is the most special thing in the world. Ned Kelly's 77th minute goal at Wembley will live with me forever, I felt amazing for 4 minutes and it will never be taken away from me. But watching them is something I do a lot of the time because I have to, because I can't help it. Hell, I spent money watching them on Saturday when I knew I wouldn't have any food in my cupboads until Tuesday and that was the only money I had. Why? Because it's in my blood and I couldn't stop even if I wanted to. I'm dedicated to the cause, it being about enjoyment is something that stopped in 1992, that is just a by-product of my passion that happens from time to time

Uppercut

You might not specifically enjoy it all the time, but I suspect you enjoy living with it more than you would enjoy living without it (even if only because you would feel that you were neglecting your duty if you didn't). I may be wrong though. I can't speak for everyone. It's just that I can't see why you'd go out of your way to do something if you didn't prefer life with supporting Tranmere as a part of it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You might not specifically enjoy it all the time, but I suspect you enjoy living with it more than you would enjoy living without it (even if only because you would feel that you were neglecting your duty if you didn't). I may be wrong though. I can't speak for everyone. It's just that I can't see why you'd go out of your way to do something if you didn't prefer life with supporting Tranmere as a part of it.
Oh yeah, you're right about that. I don't particularly disagree with too much of what you say, the Dave Challinor moments, the last minute winners (you can't ****ing see me!!) - I just disagree that it doesn't take dedication to stand on a rain-sodden terrace in the midst of winter etc

Uppercut

Oh yeah, you're right about that. I don't particularly disagree with too much of what you say, the Dave Challinor moments, the last minute winners (you can't ****ing see me!!) - I just disagree that it doesn't take dedication to stand on a rain-sodden terrace in the midst of winter etc
Maybe. I don't think it's especially worthy of respect though.

Hardcore United fans used to piss me off so, so much with that attitude. They'd say things like, "we're the real fans, we went to Sunderland for a Carling Cup tie in the pouring rain!" expecting some kind of medal for bravery while a 6-year-old me sat there thinking of how much I'd love to see them play a Carling cup tie at Sunderland on a rainy Wednesday evening.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I use the term "enjoyment" loosely. Being a football fan means a lot of the time you don't enjoy it- and that applies to fans of big clubs too. It's great being a United fan at the moment but when they lose it hits hard. Distinctly remembering Ludek Miklosko and Andy Cole's finishing throwing the title at Blackburn in '95, Marc Overmars's crucial winner in '98, Costinha dumping us out of the Champion's League in the 93rd minute in '04 and a humiliating 3-0 loss to AC Milan in the semis two years ago don't leave me thinking, "Oh Gosh, what fun it is being a tragically obsessed football fan". I can't choose not to support them when it's not especially fun.
I feel so bad for you.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I don't want any medal for following my team everywhere, I don't anymore because I have good reasons not to and there are many people who can't go to every game their team plays for good reasons. Actually fell out with a mate on Saturday on this issue, it involved me saying "yeah well if I was 30 and lived with my mum I'd go to every ****ing game" - kinda matches up with what you're saying. That being said, nothing more annoying than being talked down to by a Prem fan who never tries to go the game, doesn't even cross their radard, but they think they understand football more because their team is better. That's what pisses you off, when you follow a team with all your heart and some **** disrespects that. It does take dedication to follow a smaller team, and we don't know anything less about football just because our players aren't as talented.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Back OT, I couldn't really give a crap if people hate Man United. I understand why they do it (I hate Ronaldo as much as anyone TBH) and I am just of guilty as hating people like Liverpool. I'm not a massive fan anyway and I have better things to do than get angry at people hating my team.