• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chelsea or Manyoo- who do you hate more?

Who do you hate more- Chelsea or United?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because if you're a casual follower of the game, the big 4 generally have the best players who are generally (not always) better to watch, and they're usually the most televised teams and play in the bigger games.

On a side note, it was great to have the CL on SBS this morning, so at least it wasn't on Fox, where all we hear is Robbie bloddy Slater say when someone misses a shot from 55 metres out "He should have done better". God his commentary ****s me no end.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon it also ties in with the frustration alot of people have with the comfortable hegemony the big 4 have developed in England. Glory hunters send their money back in to the coffers of teams that don't need it, perpetuating this dominance that seems to go on forever. Frustrating for those who support a team with no hope of winning anything in the near future.

I'd say this is much clearer outside the UK (and I say that without having any first hand knowledge of the UK of course :laugh:). Only 1 guy (bar me), in my football team follows anyone outside of the big 4, and that's only because he grew up in London following Spurs. I'd think you'd get a broader cross section of fans over there, as the affiliation of the UK posters on CW would suggest.

ripper868

International Coach
It confuses me how some of those pathetically obsessed with a football club manage to feel contempt for casual fans who have lives. I say this as someone firmly in the former camp. What's the deal with all the hate of people who support a team in their spare time as opposed to as a lifestyle choice?
Yeah this, never understood how one can get so wrapped up in the affairs of a sporting team that it becomes more than a weekend hobby. What is the ****ing point of English fans (i use the term loosely) going on a rampage of destruction just becasue they lose a game of ****ing soccer? until somone can validate this sort of behaviour, all football fans who partake in this are somewhere between the scum under my carpet and the rotten floorboards that it rests on. Anyone who says it's passion or some **** like that can get ****ed, throwing a chair through some poor german shop owners window is not showing passion for your team, grow up, get a hair cut, job and a grip on reality, a pumped up bit of leather going into a net is not the be all and end all and if your life depends on your team putting said leather into a net more than the opposition, just **** off, die and do us all a favour by not having kids. This is aimed only at those who partake in riots/stabbings/pitch invasions/murders etc, not the average joe who works 9-5 (or equivalent shift work), and happily stands in the terraces singing songs in the cold, if that's what average joe wants to do, then average joe can do so, just dont **** everyone else up because your team lost a GAME of soccer.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah this, never understood how one can get so wrapped up in the affairs of a sporting team that it becomes more than a weekend hobby. What is the ****ing point of English fans (i use the term loosely) going on a rampage of destruction just becasue they lose a game of ****ing soccer? until somone can validate this sort of behaviour, all football fans who partake in this are somewhere between the scum under my carpet and the rotten floorboards that it rests on. Anyone who says it's passion or some **** like that can get ****ed, throwing a chair through some poor german shop owners window is not showing passion for your team, grow up, get a hair cut, job and a grip on reality, a pumped up bit of leather going into a net is not the be all and end all and if your life depends on your team putting said leather into a net more than the opposition, just **** off, die and do us all a favour by not having kids. This is aimed only at those who partake in riots/stabbings/pitch invasions/murders etc, not the average joe who works 9-5 (or equivalent shift work), and happily stands in the terraces singing songs in the cold, if that's what average joe wants to do, then average joe can do so, just dont **** everyone else up because your team lost a GAME of soccer.

biased indian

International Coach
Stay tuned for Biased Indian’s views on politics, as he follows up a searing critique of Mussolini and his facist beliefs with a glowing tribute to Hitler.
i like Liverpool because of the fact that i hate Man u...i started following the English football around 95 if i am correct it was the time Blackburn where giving stiff challenge to Manu for the title ....i always tend to like the team which fail to win the trophy when i am first hooked on to a sports and then continue to support them ..the same goes with Barcelona the first live European club football i saw was the one where they lost 4-0 to a French team i forgot whom

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because if you're a casual follower of the game, the big 4 generally have the best players who are generally (not always) better to watch, and they're usually the most televised teams and play in the bigger games.
That is glory hunting then isn't it?

You don't have any local/geographic heritage to the team, so you pick your favourite team with regards to how successful they are.

Problem is less an issue in sports which equalise and don't have such a team dominance, but in the major football leagues, it occurs a lot.

Hence why people hate Manchester United, because they are one of the terms that exacerbate this the most.

Burgey

That is glory hunting then isn't it?

You don't have any local/geographic heritage to the team, so you pick your favourite team with regards to how successful they are.

Problem is less an issue in sports which equalise and don't have such a team dominance, but in the major football leagues, it occurs a lot.

Hence why people hate Manchester United, because they are one of the terms that exacerbate this the most.
I see your point mate, but I don't think it's necessarily glory hunting. It's being a casual observor and seeing those teams and enjoying watching them and becoming a fan. It probably becomes glory hunting after a time, or is for some people, but not all of them.

Some people (not your good self btw) take an attitude to football supporting that's akin to the horrible sort of music snobbery we get on here as well. "Ooh, you like United/ Liverpool/ Chelsea/ Arsenal therefore you're a Johnny-Come-Lately who has no idea about the game. I support some Toilet team no one outside a 50 km radius has ever heard of, which gives me some real credibility". Newsflash - no it doesn't.

Support who you like and feel free to put **** on someone when their team loses or whatever, but not on some faux-snobbish or rose-tinted glasses basis, as though supporting a smaller, struggling team or sitting on the hill at a ground like the old Cumberland Oval at Parramatta (or its English equivalent) gives you more cred than someone who supports one of the big four or sits in a comfortable seat in the stands at the new Parra Stadium (or its English equivalent). It doesn't, and people who look on those things romantically are just pulling their puds. I went to the old Cumberland Oval - there was one toilet block for 20,000 people, one grandstand, if it rained you sat in muddy puddles. As a kid I thought it was fun. Looking back it was ****. Thank God we burned the bastard down in 81.

Support who you like. Same with music - listen to what you like. I couldn't give a tinker's that people think you're an idiot if you like some bubble gum pop crap - if you like it, listen to it. It's harmless, it's enjoyable, so do it. Laugh at the music snobs - their first point of reference generally is "It's popular, therefore I'll ****-can it". I've got a mate who's always banging on about Bob ****ing Dylan. If it's not Bob Dylan or someone belting out an Aria from some Puccini opera he ****-cans it. Great bloke, but on this point there's toss-pottery involved. Who cares? I couldn't give a **** if some bird poured into a pair of leather pants can't hit a high C, if the song's catchy, I'll listen to it. And I'd rather see her film clip than some old footage of Dame Joan Sutherland for which I'd definitely need my wide screen.

Growing up here in the 80s, you got one match a week from England, if that. You got virtually nothing from the Continent, unless you were a Soccer-Bloody-Soccer (SBS) TV watcher. So people watched the match of the week, and it was generally always one of the big clubs, because it rated well here. I guess it sort of grew on itself - they showed those teams coz they were popular and would usually win, so more people supported them, making them more popular. For the casual fan, it's much the same today, though there's less of an excuse now than there was back then, given the standard of coverage is so much better now than it was then.

From the point of view of the English football competition, I definitely see long term problems as the same sides dominate year in and year out, but that's something for the FA to (somehow) sort out if they can. Not sure how they'll do it tbh. For my part, despite supporting United, I still raise a smile if a side like Pompey or Hull or whoever gets up and beats them. It does the competition good, and in the long run it probably does my team good as well. :)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think its important to separate the local from the international viewer though.

I don't support a team in football anymore, but I used to support Liverpool when I lived in Singapore for 3 years, and my first year or two back in Australia. Why? Because every person supporter Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal. I chose Liverpool because I used to play as them in the old Fifa games, with Fowler and Owen. But if it wasn't them, it would have been another one of the teams that wear red and are always at the top of the table (this was before Chelsea's rise).

Is that really supporting though? Its not being a snob, but surely a local Aston Villa fan (for eg.) would look at that and go "well, that's fairly ****" and would find it hard to take them seriously as a supporter. Not because they don't stand in the cold and bleed for their club, travelling to all games etc. But because you're only a fan because of the marketing of the club, and that comes from money, and that comes from people spending money on your club, and that comes from money and success. Its a never ending circle.

The EPL ****s me on this point (and almost every EPL fan here has disagreed with me on it). I understand the limitations, and how they can't have a salary cap because the best players would go to Spain or Italy, but that doesn't make it good for the fans to see their team sit in the middle of the table for 3 years.

Also important to note that the majority of glory hunter supporters are an age bracket of 15-25, when football was shown plenty with all teams, but Man U were winning titles, and Liverpool and Arsenal were right behind them.

I posted a link to an Indian television ad which showed just how unlikely it is for an Indian to support a team outside of the big 4, I'll try and find it.

Burgey

Yeah, the local-international distinction is an important one. Wasn't it Madrid who signed Beckham as much for the shirts he'd sell as for his footballing talents?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, and it worked too.

Just found the ad: YouTube - EPL TVC

Gee, I wonder who Indians will be supporting :dry:

The audacity to say "What's your true colour?"

There's nothing true about that at all!

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally follow Liverpool because it was were Kewell was playing when I really started to get interested in Football. Same goes for why I also support Everton to a certain extent because of Cahill.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

On a side note, it was great to have the CL on SBS this morning, so at least it wasn't on Fox, where all we hear is Robbie bloddy Slater say when someone misses a shot from 55 metres out "He should have done better". God his commentary ****s me no end.

At least he's familiar with the correct terminology. Our Sky up here carries the A-League coverage from Fox and when I watched a game a few months back the (Aussie) comms kept talking about being "strong in the tackle", the "breakdown" & the "tackle area".

Thought they were going to talk about the ruck soon. Sort it out, chaps. 'Snot rugby, you know! Clue's in the shape of the ball.

Agent TBY

International Captain
More media exposure = Bigger fanbase = More media exposure. It's a cycle that's never going to get broken.

I support Everton, but I get to watch such a small number of matches of theirs that it'd be really hard to call me a fan.

ripper868

International Coach
Personally follow Liverpool because it was were Kewell was playing when I really started to get interested in Football. Same goes for why I also support Everton to a certain extent because of Cahill.
Yeah have a soft spot for everton, and now fulham (schwarzer) and did for middlesbourough(pretty sure thats spelt abhorently rong) before that.

I support Man U, mainly because of how they play the game - attacking - i couldn't give two stuffs of "yeah but they have all the moneez so they buy premierships etc" they are one of the more exciting soccer teams to watch and hence why they have a good following the world over. Who the **** wants to watch endless scoreless draws between teams who are scared to attack and counter attack? when did playing for the draw become a good result? I find soccer boring to watch at the best of times, bar the World cup, reckon that's brilliant, so for me i support the team which plays with the most attacking style and provides the most entertainment in a sport i struggle to sit through. People want to see goals, not draws, and hence Man U appeals to the neutral half a world away.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ahh, yeah, forgot about Boro & now Fulham. But I guess I never really got that much into either team because of the fact that it was/is quite hard for me to see any of Schwarzers games. If there were a team in the Prem that I chose to support, it would be Millwall though, again because of Cahill.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Yeah have a soft spot for everton, and now fulham (schwarzer) and did for middlesbourough(pretty sure thats spelt abhorently rong) before that.

I support Man U, mainly because of how they play the game - attacking - i couldn't give two stuffs of "yeah but they have all the moneez so they buy premierships etc" they are one of the more exciting soccer teams to watch and hence why they have a good following the world over. Who the **** wants to watch endless scoreless draws between teams who are scared to attack and counter attack? when did playing for the draw become a good result? I find soccer boring to watch at the best of times, bar the World cup, reckon that's brilliant, so for me i support the team which plays with the most attacking style and provides the most entertainment in a sport i struggle to sit through. People want to see goals, not draws, and hence Man U appeals to the neutral half a world away.
Not Man U BTW.

Uppercut

I see your point mate, but I don't think it's necessarily glory hunting. It's being a casual observor and seeing those teams and enjoying watching them and becoming a fan. It probably becomes glory hunting after a time, or is for some people, but not all of them.

Some people (not your good self btw) take an attitude to football supporting that's akin to the horrible sort of music snobbery we get on here as well. "Ooh, you like United/ Liverpool/ Chelsea/ Arsenal therefore you're a Johnny-Come-Lately who has no idea about the game. I support some Toilet team no one outside a 50 km radius has ever heard of, which gives me some real credibility". Newsflash - no it doesn't.

Support who you like and feel free to put **** on someone when their team loses or whatever, but not on some faux-snobbish or rose-tinted glasses basis, as though supporting a smaller, struggling team or sitting on the hill at a ground like the old Cumberland Oval at Parramatta (or its English equivalent) gives you more cred than someone who supports one of the big four or sits in a comfortable seat in the stands at the new Parra Stadium (or its English equivalent). It doesn't, and people who look on those things romantically are just pulling their puds. I went to the old Cumberland Oval - there was one toilet block for 20,000 people, one grandstand, if it rained you sat in muddy puddles. As a kid I thought it was fun. Looking back it was ****. Thank God we burned the bastard down in 81.

Support who you like. Same with music - listen to what you like. I couldn't give a tinker's that people think you're an idiot if you like some bubble gum pop crap - if you like it, listen to it. It's harmless, it's enjoyable, so do it. Laugh at the music snobs - their first point of reference generally is "It's popular, therefore I'll ****-can it". I've got a mate who's always banging on about Bob ****ing Dylan. If it's not Bob Dylan or someone belting out an Aria from some Puccini opera he ****-cans it. Great bloke, but on this point there's toss-pottery involved. Who cares? I couldn't give a **** if some bird poured into a pair of leather pants can't hit a high C, if the song's catchy, I'll listen to it. And I'd rather see her film clip than some old footage of Dame Joan Sutherland for which I'd definitely need my wide screen.

Growing up here in the 80s, you got one match a week from England, if that. You got virtually nothing from the Continent, unless you were a Soccer-Bloody-Soccer (SBS) TV watcher. So people watched the match of the week, and it was generally always one of the big clubs, because it rated well here. I guess it sort of grew on itself - they showed those teams coz they were popular and would usually win, so more people supported them, making them more popular. For the casual fan, it's much the same today, though there's less of an excuse now than there was back then, given the standard of coverage is so much better now than it was then.

From the point of view of the English football competition, I definitely see long term problems as the same sides dominate year in and year out, but that's something for the FA to (somehow) sort out if they can. Not sure how they'll do it tbh. For my part, despite supporting United, I still raise a smile if a side like Pompey or Hull or whoever gets up and beats them. It does the competition good, and in the long run it probably does my team good as well. :)
:notworthy:

Great rant.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Apart from United (its in my blood to hate them as a club, but even I admite they play good football and I don't mind watching them), i generally prefer teams that play decent football. In general the best footballing side in the Prem outside Manure is Arsenal, so I'll watch their games when they are. They are probably the only two sides in the prem you can pretty much guarantee will play good football if you watch them. There are other sides who sometimes play good football and sometimes play crap football, the Blackburn-Wigan game this weekend was actually a decent watch.

The thing that depresses me most about Oldham at the moment is not that we've had **** results the last 2 months, but more that every time i've seen us, we've played terrible football. In the late 80's early 90's we played decent football with 2 wingman who stayed as wide as possible, we eventually had success with that but before that we still played attractive football, we also played decent football in the prem, which ultimately led to our demise.

I'm also biased towards players who are genuine wingers, because thats where i prefer to play when I play myself.

Thus i don't like teams like Bolton and generally don't watch quite a lot of the live premier league games on these days because its mostly sh*te football. It depresses me that the best way for the not so rich to stay in the big league is to play this kind of football, but unfortunately there's not really a cure.

Would say my hatred for Manure is like my hatred for Yorkshi*e in cricket. To pull a cliche its 'in my blood.' It makes for great banter as well given that my Mum's family are from accross the border, If i go to the cricket its half the time with Yorkshire supporting mates, and the same with Manure that a lot of the people I'll associate with are fans and I'll have a good laugh with them, but at the end of the day if they lose it'll put a smile on my face.