• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes to England Team in Next Match Onwards

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whatever happens this match Morgan shouldn't tour Sri Lanka and Taylor should, rather him in the side over Bopara as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Unfortunately I don't think Taylor will get a shot until Bopara gets a few chances (and inevitably fails)
Haha yes, quite.

Whether or not Bopara is better than Morgan, surely someone is, so the sooner he gets dropped for Bopara so Bopara can fail as well, the better.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Bopara isn't picked for a dead rubber when the incumbents in the middle order have scored about half a run between them all series it's starting to look like the management maybe don't fancy him much.

Which might make one ask, not unreasonably, WTF he was selected in the first place. Could it be the selection panel are more enamoured with him than the two Andys?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As for openers, I honestly think Hales might be ahead of Carbs in the pecking order now. Is somewhat boom and bust, but when he gets in he scores big.
But so does Carberry :unsure: For a guy who guys 'big' Hales only has one 150+ score and a less than stellar conversion rate.

Jarquis

Must admit it'd never struck me. Scored a 50 v SL"A" last year for the Loins and a big ton v Somerset with Karthik and Suppiah in tandem.
Heh, much akin to saying a batsman's adept at playing pace because they scored a big ton against Steve Harmison and Liam Plunkett.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm not one for pulling out scores from someone's record (and I like Morgan ITBT), but I was there the day he got his ton against India and rarely have I seen an easier Test hundred. Guess they were one day fields for the whole time, so he felt right at home.

Pothas

Yeah I was at the Rose bowl and it was the same, a very easy 70. Had pretty much the easiest job around this summer. His only really impressive innings was his first ton and even then Kaneira bowled utter crap at him for his first 40-50 runs.

dfx-

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bell has proven for the umpteenth time that he can't cut it against quality bowling; KP that he has lost what he once had, probably for good. Having been given so many previous opportunities, why on earth shouldn't they be dropped? Given their experience and reputations, they should be aspiring to the level of performance that someone like Sangakkara - who a matter of weeks ago managed to score 516 runs in three Tests at an average of 86, including a century and a double century, against the very same attack that is making them look like novices - is achieving, not hiding behind a fledgling teammate. Averaging 9 (Bell) and 4.5 (Pietersen) should get experienced players dropped, and if they both continue to average less than 20 after the next match, as I predicted they would, England will be announcing that they are content to field a sub-standard middle order of experienced players who cannot be relied on to score runs against top class bowling.

I don't understand how anyone can argue that Morgan has looked far worse than the other two. To my eye, they have all looked equally inept. But for me the key difference is that Morgan is facing this sort of bowling in these conditions for the first time, and so it is rather to be expected that he would struggle. I have no doubt - given the reality that KP and Bell are bigger names, that Morgan is the one who will be sacrificed. But it doesn't make it right.

The great thing though is that dropping him would remove the last remaining firewall between them and the axing they deserve. If they again fail in the final Test, then I hope Strauss' reported recent threats will be borne out and they miss out on the Sri Lanka tour. Let's see what Hildreth, Taylor, Bairstow etc. are made of. Out with the old, in with the new.
We've been proven wrong, my friend, 'weight of runs' Bell and Pietersen showed Morgan how to bat against spin at this level this morning..err..:unsure: