• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

Fusion

Global Moderator
There's no history of certain nations voting together due to financial incentives or otherwise though is there?
Sure, the Asian bloc usually sticks together. Same can be said of the "western" bloc of England, Aus, NZ (and possibly SA). Of course, since the Asian bloc has more votes/money they get their way and get hammered by people for being money-hungry evil empires. However, I fail to see why the opposing bloc is not critisized for voting with the (losing) group, instead of just voting the "right/moral way".

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sure, the Asian bloc usually sticks together. Same can be said of the "western" bloc of England, Aus, NZ (and possibly SA). Of course, since the Asian bloc has more votes/money they get their way and get hammered by people for being money-hungry evil empires. However, I fail to see why the opposing bloc is not critisized for voting with the (losing) group, instead of just voting the "right/moral way".
I guess that would depend on what was viewed as the right way :happy: It would be nice to see countries vote based on what they thought rather than who else was voting that way, but I guess it's hard to prove they're not. Although an ongoing theme of countries sticking together over everything sort of stands out.

It's a waste of time having a vote though, as you know which way it's going to go anyway.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two more cars found in Surat....

India still safer?
No, not now. But you seem to be expressing a fair amount of glee about it.

The answer might well have been different a week ago. It's a fluid situation re. the security in different countries.

Anyway, i hope Australia send a team. I have little doubt several players won't go though (as is their choice).

duffer

No, not now. But you seem to be expressing a fair amount of glee about it.

The answer might well have been different a week ago. It's a fluid situation re. the security in different countries.

Anyway, i hope Australia send a team. I have little doubt several players won't go though (as is their choice).
Err, not how I read it. Think he's just reiterating the point he's been making for a long time. Although I disagree with the notion that India is just as unsafe as Pakistan. I think it's safer but is slowly degrading due to the incompetency of government regarding national security.

pasag

RTDAS
It seems though that Australian management may be looking in aligning themselves closer to India and will try an avert a split as much as possible. I mean a lot of the stuff coming out of the boards during the Sydney crisis was diplomatic and trying to be as noninflammatory as possible. Now they've also been working together with the Champions League so I don't think from a CA-BCCI stand point there is such a quick move to fight and separate.

Also, Australia are no Sri Lanka in terms of finances, I was reading the other day in Haigh and Firth's recent book on the board that they have profits in the hundreds of millions so any split in world cricket may hurt CA financially but certainly wouldn't cripple them by any means.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
That still doesn't help the fact that it's inevitable teams will eventually stop touring India or Pakistan, or any other country affected by terrorism full stop if this violence escalates any further.

All it takes is one team being blasted to smiterins for tours to the country being affected to be cancelled for at least 10-20 years before any talks of tours ever happen again.

In some ways I prefer the split in ideologies/paranoia rather than acting sensibly too late. It'll be a freaking tragedy if a team of talented cricketers suddenly disappears from the face of the Earth because boards choose to be diplomatic and take that risk. :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That still doesn't help the fact that it's inevitable teams will eventually stop touring India or Pakistan, or any other country affected by terrorism full stop if this violence escalates any further.

All it takes is one team being blasted to smiterins for tours to the country being affected to be cancelled for at least 10-20 years before any talks of tours ever happen again.
* smithereens.
In some ways I prefer the split in ideologies/paranoia rather than acting sensibly too late. It'll be a freaking tragedy if a team of talented cricketers suddenly disappears from the face of the Earth because boards choose to be diplomatic and take that risk. :huh:
That's such an exaggeration it's comparable to comparing Daniel Vettori with Dominic Tuohey.

duffer

If a global split in cricket happens then I'm probably done with caring about the game. Would stick to the football and basketball.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
9 11 before it happened was something out of the twilight zone if anyone talked about it. There is no prediction to what terrorists are capable of.

Better to exaggerate security flaws than to be sorry.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
9 11 before it happened was something out of the twilight zone if anyone talked about it. There is no prediction to what terrorists are capable of.
That's debateable TSTL, not that I'm willing to go into that on here.

More importantly, it's been said more times than you could wish for, but the ultimate aim of terrorism is to force people to change stuff they don't want to change. Allowing a minimal threat to escalate to this is beyond the wildest dreams of the tiny minority of terrorists who would aim to disrupt cricket tournaments.

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain

Excatly. So if the terrorists had specifically cricketers as targets than we would have known but as it stands its far from that because there havent been any slightest of indications of that. If they were than forget pakistan, cricketers wont be safe anywhere in the world and would require same sort of security as leaders. Imagine that :laugh:

If you really look at the reasoning of some of the players, most of them are not willing to go becuase their team-mates or a board which they support have issues not becuase they dont wana go themselves. If your Given huge amount of security and are playing away from places which are unsafe, still you got issues? Thats just bs...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Stay in your home and lock the doors and windows. Something that hasn't happened before certainly could happen. South Africa's crime rate is so high, so you could be killed playing cricket there too. I mean its not like wealthy people would be targets for the gangs in South Africa?

Burgey

Err, not how I read it. Think he's just reiterating the point he's been making for a long time. Although I disagree with the notion that India is just as unsafe as Pakistan. I think it's safer but is slowly degrading due to the incompetency of government regarding national security.
Yeah, that's probably right. Apologies to SS for any offence caused by my post.

Heard Michael Clarke on the radio this morning and I must say he sounded pretty positive about touring. Hopefully most of the players will agree with him :).

Burgey

Can't agree with that, sorry. You do that, the terrorists win. It can also be used as excuses by governments to limit and/ or remove fundamental rights of their citizens.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Will be interesting to see what England do.. They have a test match scheduled at Ahmedabad, dont they?

And FYI, a major ploy to bomb the Gemini Bridge here in Chennai (it is practically the centre of the city and such a hub that anyone travelling anywhere within the city will have to use some part of the bridge or the Mount Road (over which it stands) at some stretch).. Apparently, they had planned to bomb the place on August 15.. Which is interesting timing because that is our Independence Day and there will be big festivities, Army March and what have you on the Beach Road, which is parallel to this bridge and therefore, most common people would HAVE to take the bridge on that day.....

duffer

And FYI, a major ploy to bomb the Gemini Bridge here in Chennai (it is practically the centre of the city and such a hub that anyone travelling anywhere within the city will have to use some part of the bridge or the Mount Road (over which it stands) at some stretch).. Apparently, they had planned to bomb the place on August 15.. Which is interesting timing because that is our Independence Day and there will be big festivities, Army March and what have you on the Beach Road, which is parallel to this bridge and therefore, most common people would HAVE to take the bridge on that day.....
:scared:

I remember being in India at the time of the Jaipur bombings and watching news programs covering the situation they had a former government minister on there who said that after the blasts the government had major plans to set up a state of the art intelligence network dedicated solely to the terror issue in the country and in order to suss out any major threats and activities beforehand. Problem is once the hysteria died down a couple of months later they decided to cancel the plans as there were "more important" issues at hand for them.

In short, this is such a believable threat for people because there is next to no confidence in the government to do anything about it and any business/sporting teams who opt to pull out of going to India do have my sympathies.