• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British sports personality of the year

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is it that time of year already? Such a crap event. A series of meaningless awards that nobody (including those receiving them) give a **** about, which are given a very glamorous ceremony which is no doubt very expensive and paid for my the license payer. All of this is made worse of course by totally insincere interviews with the nominated "personalities" in which they roll out the usual cliches and try desperately to convince the poor people watching at home that this is a legitimate use of broadcast space.

"I've always dreamt of captaining England, and winning the Ashes, and I was so lucky to accomplish that, but it doesn't compare how privileged I feel at being nominated for sports personality of the year"

**** off.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah its just a bit too crap for me to get angry about though.

Cavendish has got to win though, guy is the best British sportsman by a mile.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah its just a bit too crap for me to get angry about though.

Cavendish has got to win though, guy is the best British sportsman by a mile.
I always fall into the same trap though. Inevitably when it's being shown, I have nothing to do and at home. So, I sit down, nothing else is on the tv, so I think "oh go on, maybe I'll watch a bit, it can't be as bad as I remember it to be, and they might show some decent sport". This is of course a terrible mistake. The show is always something like 3 hours long, and so unnecessarily drawn out with all sorts of awful segments. During which time we get Gary Lineker (who I usually like, but gets on my nerves these days) being very smug and telling crap jokes, Sue Barker smiling and saying how jolly good everything is, and the awful (and I mean awful) Clare Balding appearing a lot for no obvious reason and being generally annoying. Then we get to the sport, or rather clips of sport, which are all from distorted camera angles and mashed together with some garish music to comprise a typically awful BBC musical medley, which thy seem so fond of. The whole thing could be done in 30 minutes, not this horrible drawn out affair. It's a shame, because I really want to enjoy it, but to quote Mark Kermode, "I'd like to be proved wrong, but I am so, so right".

Actually, having said that, I do remember the giving of the lifetime achievement award to Bobby Robson a few years back, which was actually incredibly moving. So it's not always total dirge, just mostly.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Darren Clarke nailed on, I'd have thought.

Cavendish might be a good sprinter and all (can't help but notice that no-one gave a **** about the green jersey in this country until he came along, but I digress), however he's an absolute Grade A ****, so that will count against him.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
no-one gave a **** about the green jersey
This appears to be what happens in the traditional cycling countries, too. Norwegians (including self) made just the same error a few years earlier.

Mind, he was world champion this year (putting him into very exalted company) so that should count too.

Apparently being a grade A **** is a positive thing too as he 'is just human', 'has an attitude of a winner' etc.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah I'd say Clarke is the call. Lots of complaints about no women being on the list flying around

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This appears to be what happens in the traditional cycling countries, too. Norwegians (including self) made just the same error a few years earlier.

Mind, he was world champion this year (putting him into very exalted company) so that should count too.

Apparently being a grade A **** is a positive thing too as he 'is just human', 'has an attitude of a winner' etc.
You're just bitter because Hushovd can't hold his wheel any more.

grecian

Pfft, Sideburns won, but I think we can all agree that the REAL winner was Jessica's arse:wub:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can't argue with either of the above

Funniest moment for me was the look of horror on Mrs Wiggins' face, as he was going up to collect the award, when Sue Barker announced that he would say a few words.

EDIT
btw Grecian, what's the story with Kim Wilde being your avatar? Obv better looking than Clive Dunn, but apart from that? And did you read the story about her and brother Ricky drunkenly serenading the tube passengers the other day with an acoustic version of 'Kids in America'?

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Hard luck on Murray to be up against the Olympians of course (and yes I know he was one) but I reckon that even in the future he may need to win the big one to scoop this.

grecian

Can't argue with either of the above

Funniest moment for me was the look of horror on Mrs Wiggins' face, as he was going up to collect the award, when Sue Barker announced that he would say a few words.

EDIT
btw Grecian, what's the story with Kim Wilde being your avatar? Obv better looking than Clive Dunn, but apart from that? And did you read the story about her and brother Ricky drunkenly serenading the tube passengers the other day with an acoustic version of 'Kids in America'?
that's the reason, thought it was funny, and she was one of my biggest fantasies at a formative age, it was always her or Clare Grogan, personally I scored it a draw, with a ridiculous score for each.

grecian

Hard luck on Murray to be up against the Olympians of course (and yes I know he was one) but I reckon that even in the future he may need to win the big one to scoop this.
Wimbledon and he wins, it's the only tournament the majority of brits care about.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah he'll win Wimbledon in 2014 but Cole Stockton will beat him into second after 40 goals for the whites in the prem and a World Cup Final hat trick