• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brilliant Ishant

krkode

State Captain
Ishant reminds me a bit of Jason Gillespie. The hair, the build, maybe the bowling action a little bit too... :p

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's certainly bowling well in this series, it'd be nice if the Aussie bowlers could sidle up next to him at the end of the day's play and get a few tips on how to bowl in Indian conditions :happy:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He seems to be picking up his wickets with the one which seams back in, and he's esp. troubled Ponting with that, most likely as he gets on the front foot so early.

I wonder whether taking an off stump guard might help the right handers, getting them outside the line more often than not and allowing them to cover the off cut. It may also make him bowl at them more. I realise that may bring an lbw into play, but I'd think if he's forced to bowl straighter then if the ball jags towards leg then it's likely to miss. If it doesn't you'd think top quality players would pick him off their pads.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He seems to be picking up his wickets with the one which seams back in, and he's esp. troubled Ponting with that, most likely as he gets on the front foot so early.

I wonder whether taking an off stump guard might help the right handers, getting them outside the line more often than not and allowing them to cover the off cut. It may also make him bowl at them more. I realise that may bring an lbw into play, but I'd think if he's forced to bowl straighter then if the ball jags towards leg then it's likely to miss. If it doesn't you'd think top quality players would pick him off their pads.
Reminds me very much of McGrath, actually. His stock ball for a long time was the ball seaming back into the batsmen. So batsmen started to move across more and pick him off their pads. So he worked on bowling so the ball held its line or moved away and started to really dominate from that point onwards. Can see Sharma having to do the same thing.

EDIT: krkode! Where ya been!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ishant needs to go for at least another 2 years from strenght to strenght for me to be totally convinced that he is India's best quick since Dev. Given how the likes of Khan, Nehra, Pathan, Patel have bowled in recent years.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
^Whats wrong with Zaheer?Patel bowled exceptionally well in SL odi series..Seroiusly Indian bowlers are way too underestimated.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Imagine a bowling combo of druggy Asif and ugly Ishant:blink: would rip many a top batting line up to pieces.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
^Whats wrong with Zaheer?Patel bowled exceptionally well in SL odi series..Seroiusly Indian bowlers are way too underestimated.
Zaheer well yes he has certainly been better since he came back in early 07. But the rest have started brilliant and gone nowhere.

Sharma's early form is soooooooooo reminiscent of Pathan in 04, Patel in his debut series vs ENG was bowling 90 mph reverse swinger deliviers & has lost that early spark even if he is still a decent bowler and as i presume you are an Indian fan you would know the stories of Nehra etc.

Its not that Indian seamers are under-rated, but ever since Dev retied EVER quick that looks a bit good for a while gets a whole leap of pressure to be the next great pace-bowling hope. So you just have to be cautious when rating them.

Precambrian

Banned
Zaheer well yes he has certainly been better since he came back in early 07. But the rest have started brilliant and gone nowhere.

Sharma's early form is soooooooooo reminiscent of Pathan in 04, Patel in his debut series vs ENG was bowling 90 mph reverse swinger deliviers & has lost that early spark even if he is still a decent bowler and as i presume you are an Indian fan you would know the stories of Nehra etc.

Its not that Indian seamers are under-rated, but ever since Dev retied EVER quick that looks a bit good for a while gets a whole leap of pressure to be the next great pace-bowling hope. So you just have to be cautious when rating them.
Disagree, unlike Pathan who came out storming frm the U-19 world with his Akram-like swing with 140+ kph pace, and then gradually faded out, Ishant came into the International scene with good performances in the domestic structure. And when he first appeared on the scene in 2007, he hardly caught anyone's eyes, and was dropped. He went back, worked on his pace, did the domestic circuit well and earned his place to Australia. And then he did that Ponting spell. All these times, he has learned quickly and his pace has increased. Also he has learnt a few more skills like the slower one, and now the reverse swing.

Unlike Pathan who completely relied on his ability to bring the ball into the RHB at a good pace, Ishant has much more variety, and a pace that is only gaining as he is ageing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Re: Ishants hair. Could be worse. Could walk out wearing a hair band.
Or have long, strange looking dreadlocks which he ties in a knot at the front when he bowls.

Don't have any problems with Ishant's hair or even Bracken's hair but Symonds's hair is a disgrace to the human form IMO.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sharma's early form is soooooooooo reminiscent of Pathan in 04,
Except Pathan did little of great note against strong Test nations (ie. not Bangladesh and Zimbabwe).

Patel in his debut series vs ENG was bowling 90 mph reverse swinger deliviers
No, actually, he was the same paced Test bowler he is now - somebody who bowls mainly at 135kph, dropping as low to 125kph and getting up to over 140kph, peaking at around 145kph.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree, unlike Pathan who came out storming frm the U-19 world with his Akram-like swing with 140+ kph pace, and then gradually faded out, Ishant came into the International scene with good performances in the domestic structure. And when he first appeared on the scene in 2007, he hardly caught anyone's eyes, and was dropped. He went back, worked on his pace, did the domestic circuit well and earned his place to Australia. And then he did that Ponting spell. All these times, he has learned quickly and his pace has increased. Also he has learnt a few more skills like the slower one, and now the reverse swing.

Unlike Pathan who completely relied on his ability to bring the ball into the RHB at a good pace, Ishant has much more variety, and a pace that is only gaining as he is ageing.
Well fair enough, i guess i should probably say the hype is similar, since Sharma definately seems to be improving game by game, long may it continue.

But i still want to see a solid 2 years of this before i conceed he should be touted India second greatest quick since Kapil Dev.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No, actually, he was the same paced Test bowler he is now - somebody who bowls mainly at 135kph, dropping as low to 125kph and getting up to over 140kph, peaking at around 145kph.
Nah man, his pace & action all seems to have changed in rapid time since that series.

I clearly remember in the second test of that series he had a spell of serious pace bowling Geraint Jones & Hoggard with 150 mph yorkers & getting someone else LBW too, while maintaining a pace range of 140-145 mph.

Around that time a lot of Indian fans on CW where hyping him & Sreenath too was Indian's new generation tearaways. No he is around that pace you are mentioning, he still looks a solid operator of course but another clear example of an intially overhyped Indian quick,

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Nah man, his pace & action all seems to have changed in rapid time since that series.

I clearly remember in the second test of that series he had a spell of serious pace bowling Geraint Jones & Hoggard with 150 mph yorkers & getting someone else LBW too, while maintaining a pace range of 140-145 mph.

Around that time a lot of Indian fans on CW where hyping him & Sreenath too was Indian's new generation tearaways. No he is around that pace you are mentioning, he still looks a solid operator of course but another clear example of an intially overhyped Indian quick,
I think the illusions have been created by media,manee is right

no indian bowler has lost pace here is the account of the pace bowlers

1-irfan pathan- started as a bowler who swung the ball late at 130km/hr on average
changed his action \bowled at 133 on average buit lost the swing,
now again has gone back to his original action swinging the ball at 135km
he is bowling faster than ever before when he came he clocked one delivery at 143 and people said he was 140 bowler but now he clocks 140 regularly and some stupids say he has lost pace.

2-sreesanth-bowls in the 130-145 kmhr swings the ball away ,he is mostly among the top three indian bowlers on any surface ,not playing as he is injured

3-munaf-lacks stamina so when he first came he started at 120 and went up to 147km
he is the same now and increased his stamina and bowls at 125-140 and can reach 145

4-balaji,nehra.agarkars-they were dropped as they lacked control at test level and were never a sucess at tests.excpet balaji who is injury prone

so our top 5 fast bowlers

1-ishant
2-zaheer
3-sreesanth
4-munaf
5-r.p singh

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Except Pathan did little of great note against strong Test nations (ie. not Bangladesh and Zimbabwe).
Well. He took four wickets for 0 in the first four balls of a Test match against Pakistan.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pathan was never a particularly good bowler, nor did he ever do anything that deserved the ticket to fame that he got. He had good control of the swinging ball, but he didnt bowl at a brisk pace and he didnt offer much else when the ball was not swinging. In fact, he didnt even swing it both ways.