• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brilliant Ishant

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wiry pacer Ishant Sharma's coach Sharwan Kumar wants the young lad to try non-vegetarian dishes so that he can put on some weight.

Full text of the article can be read here

I've heard about Javagal Srinath turning non veg to put on muscles. But does that theory hold good in today's sport, when there are a lot of alternative medicine available? I mean protien capsules etc?
I read that and immediately thought of Ravi Shastri's comments earlier this summer on radio in Sydney "Indians aren't Australians, and vice versa. You don't just sit an Indian bowler down, feed him a couple of steaks and he turns into an Aussie".
Thought it wa a top quote at the time, and seems pretty appropriate now.

Anyways, McGrath was a human bean pole when he started. Sharma hasn't even reahed the age yet where he'll fill out. Whatever he'e eating now seems to be working for him pretty well, tbh.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
After Australia, it was hardly a bold judgement to make. However, few would have predicted his rapid development to bowl such mature spells so early in his career. I just pray to God that he stays fit for the eight or nine years he'll have left bowling at this sort of pace.

Xuhaib

International Coach
After Australia, it was hardly a bold judgement to make. However, few would have predicted his rapid development to bowl such mature spells so early in his career. I just pray to God that he stays fit for the eight or nine years he'll have left bowling at this sort of pace.
Look at the amount of slack I was given.

Precambrian

Banned
Superb display man. To dominate the champions on a docile pitch is absolutely good. Glad Dhoni helped him with an attacking field.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm wary of hyping a youngster up to the heavens, but Ishant looks very, very promising.

I don't think it's ridiculous to state that assuming India play enough Tests in future, and he stays fit and continues his development, that he might end up running Glenn McGrath's final wicket tally close.

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah. he has definitely got the potential and more importantly an understanding captain (Dhoni) and years in front of him. To trouble Ponting, on both Indian and Australian pitches, speak much about him.

Precambrian

Banned
Priceless to watch Ponting's reaction after he was bowled comprehensively by Ishant today. His face talked of complete disbelief, and let me quote Ian Chappell here:

The one that bowled Ricky Ponting - it came back off the seam and knocked the stumps flat. Ponting first looked around at the stumps and then he looked at the pitch as though he couldn't believe it was happening to him once again. Ishant has definitely got the wood on Ponting at the moment and that can't be a bad thing for India.

JackPot

U19 12th Man
ishant is sensational and he is just 20yrs old.

if he can tone up some muscle and maintain injury free record, he will have many records to be broken...

20 yrs old and can boast of claiming the only batsmen with a chance to chase tendulkaar's record five times in as many tests is something u cannot pass by...

remember, ishant got ponting more than once in the same over twice....ofcourse the first plumbs in both occassions were not given out...

once in the famous perth test victory[aur ek karegaaa] and the second in this match...

way to go ishant!

kudos to vengsarkar and co, for bringing a talent like this into international games right away

Precambrian

Banned
A word of advice for the young man: Haircut.

(see also Broad, S)
I think it's basically a "mental disintegration" thing, to distract the batsman from focussing on his hand, and to partially hide the sight screen, as the red cherry can get lost in the black background.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, it's ****eh. Honestly looks like a woman who's just walked off the set for a shampoo add at stages.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think he's especially ugly really, just has a **** haircut. Actually, Australia produces a lot more unattractive cricketers than most nations. Could be on to something.

Anyway, I wasn't really convinced by Sharma after the Australia tour, I must admit. I think the guy bowled some good spells and showed some class but he was also wayward and times and had a long way to go. This current series against Australia is a coming of age for the guy IMO, and he's bowled really, really well. Very impressive young bowler.

masterblaster

International Captain
Ugliest player in world cricket IMO.
What does that have to do with anything?

I wouldn't care if he came in with his head shaved on both sides with a mohawk in the middle. As long as he continues to bowl like this and keep taking wickets, I'll be a happy Indian supporter.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ugliest player in world cricket IMO.
What does that have to do with anything?

I wouldn't care if he came in with his head shaved on both sides with a mohawk in the middle. As long as he continues to bowl like this and keep taking wickets, I'll be a happy Indian supporter.
That might make him look nice :)

Seriously, I agree that his looks are unimportant but I am also guilty of saying to my wife, "this guy has to be one of the ugliest cricketers we have" and "why the hell doesn't he get a hair cut? I am sure he will look better. This way he just draws more attention to his already bad mug."

My apologies Ishant.

Precambrian

Banned
That might make him look nice :)

Seriously, I agree that his looks are unimportant but I am also guilty of saying to my wife, "this guy has to be one of the ugliest cricketers we have" and "why the hell doesn't he get a hair cut? I am sure he will look better. This way he just draws more attention to his already bad mug."

My apologies Ishant.
Could be that Ishant expects the batsman also to pay more attention to his mane than ball.