• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee in test team

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
So Lee would not be picked before:

a. Harmison - fortunately for Aus, England are likely to drop him as he is their only chance of success;
no i would not drop him because i know that if he bowls as accurately as he did this summer he will be successful.

social said:
b. Hoggard - mediocre medium pacer that Aus bats are lining up to milk AGAIN;
mediocre medium pacer? you really dont watch much cricket do you?

social said:
c. Jones - not as accurate as Lee, doesnt swing the ball, and 10ks slower;
oh thats a good joke, jones is not as accurate as lee. if lee has been accurate for an entire test i'd be extremely surprised.
and jones doesnt swing the ball? when was the last time you watched him bowl? hes been renowned for his ability to reverse swing the ball. and you also need to realise that bowling quicker isnt necessarily better.

social said:
TEC, you're bias against Lee continually sees you making ridiculous statements such as this - it's becoming embarassing, particularly as you obviously have not seen him bowls for what, 12 months.
the fact that hes been hammered in about half the ODIs hes played in the last 12 months suggests that he hasnt improved in terms of accuracy.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
twctopcat said:
Fair enough you don't agree with the point but why do you make yourself look stupid by exaggerating with that bilge??
Flintoff is England's best bowler.

Harmison is POTENTIALLY as good as any bowler in the world - 6' 7", fast, movement but seems to lack it mentally. Unless he regains form, England cannot hope to bowl Aus out twice on a regular basis on what are likely tobe batsmen-friendly late-summer tracks.

Hoggard - except for one test in SA, he remains a typical, honest English medium pacer, i.e gives 100% but holds no fear for quality batsmen on quality tracks.

Jones - distinctly average except for the very odd occasion where his ordinary action clicks into gear and he is able to gain reverse swing. Will not be a consistent performer until he sorts his action out AND he is fully fit.

Anderson - lots of potential but needs a lot of work on his action and mental side.

That better for you.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
because that makes a difference?
obviously lee and hayden are far better players than i am, but thats never been my argument.
quite frankly rikki clarke would take your bowling to the cleaners and then destroy you with the ball, but would that change the fact that hes one of the worst players to play for england?
C'mon don't take things too seriously, this is a cricket forum, not a funeral. Just being tongue and cheek :p

twctopcat

International Regular
social said:
Flintoff is England's best bowler.

Harmison is POTENTIALLY as good as any bowler in the world - 6' 7", fast, movement but seems to lack it mentally. Unless he regains form, England cannot hope to bowl Aus out twice on a regular basis on what are likely tobe batsmen-friendly late-summer tracks.

Hoggard - except for one test in SA, he remains a typical, honest English medium pacer, i.e gives 100% but holds no fear for quality batsmen on quality tracks.

Jones - distinctly average except for the very odd occasion where his ordinary action clicks into gear and he is able to gain reverse swing. Will not be a consistent performer until he sorts his action out AND he is fully fit.

Anderson - lots of potential but needs a lot of work on his action and mental side.

That better for you.
Don't really care, but it didn't hurt, did it?

Top_Cat

All I will say about Lee is that in the last year I've seen him bowl, I've seen soem great signs in his bowling that he will challenge for a top-5 spot in the future. And this is coming from a guy who's found himself shaking his head continuously at spells I've seen from him against England (home and away) and others.

I've seen more consistent speed in his bowling, a trajectory which seems more likely to lead to edges behind the wicket (much less of the low-trajectory slinging we saw from him in his first and subsequent Tests - have a look at the footage if you have it and see how much he's changed) and greater accuracy back of a length (of the length Gillespie bowls). As I said, he's displaying the signs so it's now up to him to put it all together.

twctopcat

International Regular
From the last vb series i saw a massive difference to the WC, he now seems to bowl a lot closer to the stumps like mcgrath and generally seemed a tighter, more consistent bowler, unfortunately.

Top_Cat

From the last vb series i saw a massive difference to the WC, he now seems to bowl a lot closer to the stumps like mcgrath and generally seemed a tighter, more consistent bowler, unfortunately.
And with no reduction in pace, either.

anzac

International Debutant
I expect to see him get a run in the ODIs in the current series v NZL, and then if he can maintain his form from the VB series then I'd expect him to start in the Tests.............the intimidation factor & NZL's poor batting performances v genuine pace..................

it's a bit far off to start looking at the Ashes just yet - if he doesn't do much v NZL you can forget the Ashes..............

Top_Cat

expect to see him get a run in the ODIs in the current series v NZL, and then if he can maintain his form from the VB series then I'd expect him to start in the Tests.............the intimidation factor & NZL's poor batting performances v genuine pace..................
Why would he start in the Tests even with a good ODI series? Who would you drop?

Eclipse

International Debutant
I've noticed him bowling better line and lengths and not getting hit as often because of it...

Still havn't seen him creat that many opertunities for the slips, other than with the very new ball..

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Why would he start in the Tests even with a good ODI series? Who would you drop?

exactly, Lee wont get a test unless someone else gets injured, or a massive form slump, which i cant see happening in the near future.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If lehmann gets dropped for the tests as well as the ODIs then i would not be surprised if Australia play 5 bowlers and bat Gilchirst at 6. I don't think it would be a big risk as 4 of the five bowlers have got 50s aganist New Zealand. It would be pretty harsh on guys like Katich if this happens but i wouldn't be surprised. This is probably Lee's best bet to get in the test team.

Simon

chaminda_00 said:
If lehmann gets dropped for the tests as well as the ODIs then i would not be surprised if Australia play 5 bowlers and bat Gilchirst at 6. I don't think it would be a big risk as 4 of the five bowlers have got 50s aganist New Zealand. It would be pretty harsh on guys like Katich if this happens but i wouldn't be surprised. This is probably Lee's best bet to get in the test team.
i doubt australia will play 5 bowlers unless they are picking 2 spinners, so a 4 man pace attack is very unlikely...

on a side note mate, can u check ur email, cause ive replied to ur wcc sign up and im trying to get it sorted....

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
i doubt australia will play 5 bowlers unless they are picking 2 spinners, so a 4 man pace attack is very unlikely...

on a side note mate, can u check ur email, cause ive replied to ur wcc sign up and im trying to get it sorted....
They played 4 quicks in the Windies so why would they do it again.

Also i just about to reply to those emails

Why does Brett Lee appear to concentrate so much on maiming the batsmen instead of trying to find a better way to avoid having to carry the oranges.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, England, New Zealand... though only maybe.
Sorry, I quadroupled what you asked for. :)

On a point of order, you named 5 which isn't quadrupling ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
Is that 1 Test or 1 Series in SA?