• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's hard to know with Ruiz, because the **** won't get in the ring. In 3 and a half years he's fought a 40 year old Arreola (and got dropped) and scraped past a probably 50 year old Ortiz. He was an excellent boxer, but at this point I think Parker probably beats him based solely on the fact that he's been in the ring with decent opposition.
Yeah, he’s really stuffed up his career in the last few years

Don’t blame him solely for the Wilder fight falling through but he could have fought someone

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It's hard to know with Ruiz, because the **** won't get in the ring. In 3 and a half years he's fought a 40 year old Arreola (and got dropped) and scraped past a probably 50 year old Ortiz. He was an excellent boxer, but at this point I think Parker probably beats him based solely on the fact that he's been in the ring with decent opposition.
I've fought a few 40yo Arreolas in my time. :naughty:

Sorry.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
With how things are stacking up at the moment I have this funny feeling that Tyson Fury is going to pull out of the Usyk fight with some little injury and "generously" give the opportunity to his mate Parker.

Then Fury will be free to make the AJ fight for huge money.

Niall

International Coach
With how things are stacking up at the moment I have this funny feeling that Tyson Fury is going to pull out of the Usyk fight with some little injury and "generously" give the opportunity to his mate Parker.

Hrgovic is the replacement option supposedly if Fury pulls out.

"His excellency" said Hrgovic was offered the following 6 fighters for the Joshua card the other night, Dubois ,Bakole , Sanchez ,Miller, Kabayel & Jared Anderson and he clearly turned them down hoping for a pull out for Fury.

I would have liked to have seen Hrgovic against some of those guys because tbh any of the six would be his second most impressive win on his CV .

social

"His excellency" said Hrgovic was offered the following 6 fighters for the Joshua card the other night, Dubois ,Bakole , Sanchez ,Miller, Kabayel & Jared Anderson and he clearly turned them down hoping for a pull out for Fury.

I would have liked to have seen Hrgovic against some of those guys because tbh any of the six would be his second most impressive win on his CV .
Hrgovic is in the Ruiz class of non fighters these days

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, just holding out for that Joshua payday or a title-shot. You've gotta give credit to Zhang (and Joyce) for not taking the same approach.

Remember David Tua very much did this back in the 90's after beating Hasim Rahman and earning mandatory status. His activity collapsed and when he did fight it was against nobodies. By the time he finally got his title shot v Lewis he was 30lbs over weight and showing so much ring rust it was embarrassing. His career never recovered.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

That's pretty pathetic from Hrgovic, especially considering he'd be getting a decent paycheck from Mr Al-Alsheikh.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Fury's grand plan

1) drop out of the Usyk fight
2) hope Parker beats Zhang
3) Fury fights Joshua for $$$
4) If he wins, hope Parker gets a match with Usyk and somehow beats him.
5) "Oh I could never fight Joe, the man's me brother. Now who wants to see Fury-Whyte 2!!!"

social

Yeah, just holding out for that Joshua payday or a title-shot. You've gotta give credit to Zhang (and Joyce) for not taking the same approach.

Remember David Tua very much did this back in the 90's after beating Hasim Rahman and earning mandatory status. His activity collapsed and when he did fight it was against nobodies. By the time he finally got his title shot v Lewis he was 30lbs over weight and showing so much ring rust it was embarrassing. His career never recovered.
Focused Lennox was as good as it gets

Neutralised Tua’s left & made him look like a complete scrub

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Focused Lennox was as good as it gets

Neutralised Tua’s left & made him look like a complete scrub
Yeah, I don't think a motivated and fit Tua does much better. He was on track to lose a wide points decision v Rahman before he buzzed him after the bell in the 10th. Lewis just way too good to let that happen.

Last edited:

social

Yeah, I don't think a motivated and fit Tua does much better. He was on track to lose a wide points decision v Rahman before he buzzed him after the bell in the 10th. Lewis just way to good to let that happen.
Tua’s fight against Ike was incredible

Had a top career but that was arguably his peak

thierry henry

International Coach
Btw I think Parker's punch resistance has been gone, probably since the Whyte fight.
Yeah, I don't know if he was ever quite as iron-chinned as people used to say (which was before he had really been tested in that department) but at this point you'd have to say he's bordering on chinny. It's a shame from a boxing perspective (obviously much less important than a "future health" perspective) because the "iron-chinned" Parker would've had a much easier time with Zhang and maybe even in the Joyce fight. I know that Zhang is a huge puncher, but Parker couldn't afford to get hit by ANYTHING and that really dictated how he had to fight.

thierry henry

International Coach
On the other hand, was it low-key sort of genius to have Parker fight Wilder and Zhang? Obviously risky (especially given he's a bit chinny now), but they're the two biggest names and biggest bogeymen in the division who can be outworked or out-boxed even by someone who is not exactly a master boxer. They certainly weren't easy fights for Parker, but they were winnable fights for him without having to go too far outside his wheelhouse or dig too deep into his reserves of stamina. Maybe I'm just being Captain Hindsight but it seems clever matchmaking in retrospect.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
On the other hand, was it low-key sort of genius to have Parker fight Wilder and Zhang?

Maybe I'm just being Captain Hindsight but it seems clever matchmaking in retrospect.
Given that you yourself noted that Parker would have a good chance of scoring a "dull decision" v Zhang I think you're doing yourself a disservice.

thierry henry

International Coach
Given that you yourself noted that Parker would have a good chance of scoring a "dull decision" v Zhang I think you're doing yourself a disservice.
Look tbh I'm just on here saying whatever most of the time, I can't remember what I said 5 minutes ago

thierry henry

International Coach
I actually think Parker would match up ok against Zhang (yet would always struggle with Joyce). Zhang is certainly much more well schooled than Wilder but there’s a vague stylistic similarity in that they’re both huge punchers but low output with dodgy stamina. Zhang has particularly bad stamina. Parker has a chance of winning a dull decision against that sort of opponent.
yeah actually wow what an analyst

Niall

International Coach
I watched Joyce tonight against a scrub and yeah not impressed. He is huge but even slower than usual and it didn't seem like much pop in his output.

I respect the dude for taking the Zhang fight and not ducking, but if he sat on his ranking he probably would have got a lucrative Saudi fight.

Ducking FTW. :sadangel:

Niall

International Coach
Whyte beat Christian Hammer in a small Irish hotel on Paddys day lol

In other news Nathan Heaney has the best walkout in boxing, the moustache the icing on the cake. Cracking fight he was involved in also tbf.