• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
British boxing seems to have a massive drug problem

Hard to believe that it’s solely confined to there but they’re the ones popping

Niall

International Coach
Good God, people talking about Parker v Joshua II , it would be better than Chisora but that's a very low bar sadly.

If they want to be conservative and avoid Hrgovic, surely Wallin, Hunter , Mc Kean would do and yeah none of those are excellent enticing match ups.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Good God, people talking about Parker v Joshua II , it would be better than Chisora but that's a very low bar sadly.

If they want to be conservative and avoid Hrgovic, surely Wallin, Hunter , Mc Kean would do and yeah none of those are excellent enticing match ups.
They're not going to take any of those fighters on a week's notice.

They have a huge money fight at the end of the year vs Wilder.

Niall

International Coach
This is woeful stuff from Hrgovic, I don't doubt he has talent, but those online who believe he runs through the elite boxers may want to reconsider.

social

I only saw the KO & it was quality but Joshua is being hammered for his performance by some guys who know boxing so assume that the rest of the fight was rubbish

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I would think it would have been the exact type of fight you'd want prior to a Wilder fight.

Plenty of good rounds, a few issues to iron out here and there, and then a nice confidence-building KO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Genuinely think Wilder retires Joshua at this point.

Got a puncher's chance, but if Deontay tags him it's red rover for the big fella.

Wilder/Usyk or Fury/Usyk the most credible match ups, stating the bleedin' obvious as I am.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Genuinely think Wilder retires Joshua at this point.

Got a puncher's chance, but if Deontay tags him it's red rover for the big fella.

Wilder/Usyk or Fury/Usyk the most credible match ups, stating the bleedin' obvious as I am.
You'd say loser of the Wilder/Joshua fight retires. Big pay day for that fight though.

Fury fighting Thunderlips is a bit of a joke though. Get the Usyk fight on.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure why Wilder has now suddenly become some great boxer or kryptonite for AJ.

This is a guy who was getting outboxed by the likes of Gerald Washington. OK, he has the right hand, but elite level boxers should be able to take that away from him. It's an exciting fight.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not sure why Wilder has now suddenly become some great boxer or kryptonite for AJ.

This is a guy who was getting outboxed by the likes of Gerald Washington. OK, he has the right hand, but elite level boxers should be able to take that away from him. It's an exciting fight.
He hasn't; he's not even an especially good boxer.

What he has got is an engine and the most concussive punch I think I've seen, certainly since Foreman 2.0.

I mean he knocked down Fury, what, four times (?) in their trilogy and he (Fury) has a chin and movement AJ can only dream of.

If Wilder lands (and I'm pretty sure he will at some point) Joshua isn't getting up.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He hasn't; he's not even an especially good boxer.

What he has got is an engine and the most concussive punch I think I've seen, certainly since Foreman 2.0.

I mean he knocked down Fury, what, four times (?) in their trilogy and he (Fury) has a chin and movement AJ can only dream of.

If Wilder lands (and I'm pretty sure he will at some point) Joshua isn't getting up.
Sure, it is a stylistically difficult matchup for Joshua, and I'd probably pick Wilder in that fight. I just don't like how it's all of a sudden become the consensus that Wilder would just win that fight without even needing to see it.

Wilder has fought exactly one top heavyweight, and he lost against that person 3 times. He's never fought Klitschko, never fought Andy Ruiz, never fought Usyk, never fought Povetkin etc etc. His best win is...Luis Ortiz? Fury himself has been knocked down by the likes of Cunningham and Pajkic - we're not talking about Floyd Mayweather level elusiveness here.

I just don't see this big gap between AJ (or even Joe Joyce, Zhang, Hrgovic etc) and the supposed top guys Usyk and Fury. I think it's heavyweight boxing and any fights between the top 10 guys would be competitive.

social

Wilder has been outboxed for long periods by some average fighters & has been one of the most carefully managed fighters in recent memory

I’m convinced that he only fought Fury the first time because his management believed Tyson was there for the taking and they weren’t exactly rushing to fight Ruiz recently

He’s also only fought one round in about 2 years and that was after being ko’d twice by Fury

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd probably back joshua to be honest. Wilder has barely fought since the third Fury fight and will be 38 by the time they fight. Joshua has at least stayed active, and to me seems to be making some solid, if unspectacular progress in his last two fights. Still it's a hard one to pick. Yeah, Wilder has that one-punch ko power, and if Ruiz is able to knock Joshua on his butt you can't help but think Wilder should have no problems. But I also can't forget how completely helpless he looked in the 2nd Fury fight. If Joshua can put forward an organised, pressuring offense I could very easily see Wilder coming apart in a similar fashion. Having said that, Joshua won't be able to do the easy long-range work that Fury's barge-poll jab did, and who knows how he'll cope with the fear factor of getting in the ring with One Punch Man. Just so hard to predict, and should be a cracker whichever way it goes.

Last edited:

social

I haven’t seen anything to suggest that Joshua is especially chinny

He got caught with a temple shot by Ruiz which impacts your balance and got up but never recovered and also got up after being caught flush by Wlad who could really bang

On the other hand, Wilder was flattened twice by Fury who wasn’t known as a puncher beforehand

IF Joshua doesn’t get caught, I can readily see him winning a wide decision

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah it seems like a narrative has developed that Wilder is tough and gritty while Joshua is flaky. There may be some truth to that in terms of their mentalities, but I'd say the evidence suggests that Wilder has the lesser chin and dodgier gas tank. He spent most of the 2nd and 3rd Fury fights staggering around the ring looking half drunk. AJ seems to be the far more capable of boxing competently for 12 rounds if required.

Of course it's all moot if Wilder lands on him. Reckon the betting value is with AJ though.