• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Bid for position" ODI draft (voting thread)

Pick the best 3 ODI XIs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think his was much more of a relative metric, but you're right that it was better. Some of us small brain people need something more straightforward though. :laugh:
I think in this case ranking by median bid (6th bid) maybe a straightforward yet relatively accurate reflection of everyone's relative advantages.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Drafter5th pick6th pickMedian pick
ataraxia232423.5
Mags343836
weldone394039.5
Michaelf7777777437056.5
kingkallis446856
JOJOXI456253.5
weeman27bob515251.5
Himannv587566.5
ankitj616362
honestbharani868786.5
Line and Length100107103.5

kingkallis

International Coach
It'll be interesting to see how similar the bidding strategies of the winning teams are - whether they're similar or very different because you can only have one good team for each style of strategy
Honestly speaking, I had no bidding strategy at all!

Weldy, Sam may share theirs.

Himannv

International Coach
Oh yeah, I did have a plan to pick ABdV if I got a position nearer to the top first up (I figured 4th pick was a reasonable one to aim at). Picked Kohli and Tendulkar so the plan flew out the window :laugh:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My bidding strategy was basically grab:
1 elite player preferably batsman/sobers/wasim/or one among the 2 elite keepers (ended up being Sobers),
1 semi-elite player (ended up being better than semi-elite with Gilchrist),
4 ATGs including two opening bowlers (Waqar, Marshall, Abbas, Rashid because of his additional batting),
1 to plug any potential shortcoming in side-balance from the first 6 (first 6 had 4 bowlers covered - so i went with a batsman pietersen),
and the last 4 ATVGs together to end up with a balanced team (think a top opener in amla, two late-order bashers including a 6th bowler in miller, maxwell, and the left-arm variety of johnson were perfect for the balance).

I looked at the test match draft bids to get an idea where to plug the bids number-wise to get who i want.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
DrafterAverage pick
Line and Length78.5
Himannv65.5
honestbharani65.0
weldone55.2
kingkallis63.0
JOJOXI59.2
ankitj61.5
Michaelf777777756.4
Magrat Garlick58.8
ataraxia54.7
weeman27bob53.3

I'm not sure this actually means anything useful
Can you post median too?

Edit: and if you have the data, chart for each drafters position for each pick just for kicks.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
weldone, sorry for the out of turn joke. I don't think kingkallis was aware of all the nuances.

Just for both of our sakes I've put weldone on ignore and will recuse myself of any action taken against him for a while

ataraxia

International Coach
I still think ataraxia had the best bidding strategy picking those first 6 players around the top for around 150k each. But in my estimate he made a slight error of judgement in not picking a gun pace bowler among his first 6 picks (those 6 picks were all spinner, allrounders and batsmen iirc).
My picks weren't the best mainly because I don't really care about ODI ATGs and I've never played an ODI draft before. :) Just thought I might play because the BFP draft format is really interesting.