• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better than Bradman?

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Will there ever be any batsmen better then Bradman?

Also what happens if a batsmen comes plays 20 tests averaging 100 and then retires :laugh:

will he be known as better then Bradman?

Mike Hussey came close right? his average was around 80 during his 20th test match

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Bradman had not existed then someone who scored as he did would basically be thought impossible, and for good reason.

The likelihood of another Bradman is probably somewhere very, very, very fractionally above zero.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah that too. At the current time, cricket (ie, the four\five-day game) appears in more danger of ceasing to be played than at any time in history - though when you know one and do not know another, as the vast majority of us do, those appearances could conceivably be deceptive.

Nonetheless, even if cricket continues to be played until Earth ends (that too is undoubtedly in more danger now than ever), I'd not be all that surprised if there was never another Bradman.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It rather depends on how long proper cricket continues to be played.
It'll need to be a while if Charles Davis's statistical analysis is anything to go by. In The Best of The Best Davis estimates a player of Bradman's quality comes along once in every 184,000 test batsman. (link)

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
^ but again if a new batsmen comes and averages 100 in the 20 tests he plays and then retires, would he be considered greater then Bradman? Hussey almost did that lol, but he didn't retire

Glacier

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It'll need to be a while if Charles Davis's statistical analysis is anything to go by. In The Best of The Best Davis estimates a player of Bradman's quality comes along once in every 184,000 test batsman. (link)
I don't know too much about baseball, basketball and golf but comparing batting average with goals per game for football is just completely wrong. The figure of goals per game is nowhere near as telling a stat as a batsmen or bowlers average. Firstly it only really applies to strikers, and so they don't really help us judge players like Maradona, Cruyff, Beckenbauer etc who could be considered the best ever in football. You can't quantify the skills of footballers into a stat like batting average.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
^ but again if a new batsmen comes and averages 100 in the 20 tests he plays and then retires, would he be considered greater then Bradman? Hussey almost did that lol, but he didn't retire
Nope I wouldn't say he was better then Bradman after 20 Tests unless he didn't have many not outs and he died tragically, if he just walked out of cricket after 20 tests over a 2 or 3 year period I can't see how he'd be considered better.

He'd need to play I dunno 50 plus tests to have Bradman's spot under threat.

pasag

RTDAS
For me it's never been about the number of Tests, rather the time in which they cover. Bradman (and Tendulkar for that matter) maintained their brilliant records over many years (both in three seperate decades iirc), a Hussey for example only did it for a few years even though a fair amount of Tests were played in that time. It's not about longevity rather seperating the purple patches from the real class.

Last edited:

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Davis made an error in his analysis. Bradman is by far the greatest batsman but he didnt master other aspects of the game to that extent. I guess one could say the same of Cobb et al (not Jordan he mastered most/all aspects of B ball). For that reason i would consider Bradman as the greatest cricketer but not the best if that makes ne sense.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Always considered Sobers the best, finest, greatest etc. (all the same thing AFAIC) cricketer of all-time personally.

Bradman obviously by light-years the best batsman.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who is this Better fellow?

And if the rankings are Better, then Bradman who is next? Better then Bradman then ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: Good spot, hadn't noticed that (which is unlike me TBH).

Someone fix the title FFS.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Someone fix the title FFS.
It's probably the one I hate the most, and it's spreading like wildfire on here. It's amazing how that seems to be picked up easier than the right word.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I tend to notice spelling mistakes straight away as well (as I did in this case) but because English isn't always the first language of the poster I ignore them just in case, because their English is infinitely superior to my Ancient Urdu.

Spot the equally unusual deliberate mistake in this post.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If someone plays his game as Viv and averages 70-75, then what? Say Sehwag somehow manages to finish with an average of 73. Then whom do you think is the better batsman?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I tend to notice spelling mistakes straight away as well (as I did in this case) but because English isn't always the first language of the poster I ignore them just in case, because their English is infinitely superior to my Ancient Urdu.

Spot the equally unusual deliberate mistake in this post.
Govorn. Expected better then that from Dicko.