• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better ODI batsman?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting is definitely the better bat, but I will take Kallis because of his bowling abilities. In the other contest, I will take Ganguly.

TumTum

Banned
I think what he was trying to point out was that openers generally have lower averages because they face the toughest part of the innings (the new ball).
I thought that's the easiest part in ODIs, when the field is up and the ball comes on nicely, also you have more of a chance to make a big score.

But I guess that's only for cricket today where the pitches r flat

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Ganguly and Anwar were both openers in ODIs. Anwar was opener in tests while Ganguly wasn't, so it can be argued Anwar's role is a bit trickier in the format.

I rate Ganguly quite highy, so I'm gonna vote Ganguly > Anwar. Ganguly had that ability to explode and rip an attack into shreds if the mood grabbed him, was arguably more destructive than Anwar. Anwar punished loose bowling very well, but Ganguly could tear apart good bowling on his day.

On the flip side, Ganguly often had that license to go beserk with Sachin at the other end and players like Dravid, Azhar, and...hmm. My mind runs blank on that. :p

smash84

The Tiger King
actually I had the opposite impression regarding how destructive they were. Anwar certainly scored his runs much faster than Ganguly in ODIs

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anwar was arguably more consistent but Ganguly from 98-2000 probably reached heights in ODI cricket that Anwar never reached.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
thought that the kallis ponting faceoff would have been a closer one. and was surprised that it wasn't. but then i checked their respective records and it certainly does seem that ponting is, deservedly, considered the better odi batsman.

regarding ganguly and anwar, i would have ganguly the marginally better, purely because of his destructive abilities (stepping out to hit the faster bowlers over the top was something that we was rather good at) though i rate anwar a more talented batsman overall.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He averages over 45. Sure he doesn't have the strike rate of a Sachin or Ponting to go with that average, but he's hardly ****.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not **** at all, but I feel he's still waiting for that defining ODI performance to come, which is a bit strange for a guy who's scored that many runs and hundreds.

abmk

State 12th Man
Bevan was one of the best ever at his role, but I'd take Ponting above him purely because I assign more importance to the role of setting up matches consistently, as compared to finishing them.. Bevan was a brilliant finisher, but 7/10 times, a top order consisting of the likes of Mark Waugh, Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Symonds, Steve Waugh etc. is going to get the job done.
Bevan , IMO ,is the best finisher in ODIs. Aus needed him plenty of times actually, not just to finish matches, but to rescue them for dire situations, which he did many times too ....Performance wise, bevan trumps Ponting by some margin IMO

Also steve was hardly great in ODIs, Hayden came into his own from 2001 onwards and symonds from WC 2003 ......

vcs

Well, it's an apples to oranges comparison anyway. Given the choice between Ponting and Bevan, I'd take Ponting (purely as a batsman).

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bevan , IMO ,is the best finisher in ODIs. Aus needed him plenty of times actually, not just to finish matches, but to rescue them for dire situations, which he did many times too ....Performance wise, bevan trumps Ponting by some margin IMO

Also steve was hardly great in ODIs, Hayden came into his own from 2001 onwards and symonds from WC 2003 ......
The 2007 line-up is still the best batting line-up I've seen in ODIs. Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Clarke, Symonds, Hussey, Watson. Not a bad bowling line-up either.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan was one of the best ever at his role, but I'd take Ponting above him purely because I assign more importance to the role of setting up matches consistently, as compared to finishing them.. Bevan was a brilliant finisher, but 7/10 times, a top order consisting of the likes of Mark Waugh, Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Symonds, Steve Waugh etc. is going to get the job done.
Hmm, fair enough. I just think Bevan's role was far more difficult in those situations. It's also not like he didn't score runs unless it was a dire situation. He was great even setting a score, not just chasing it. However, he has the kinds of innings most players would dream of playing one of, let alone as many as he has. There have been times I've been on the brink of tears watching Bevan bat...where he's gotten us to results we had no business getting to - comic book/fairy tale stuff.

vcs

Yeah, no doubt Bevan was brilliant. Ponting's longevity also goes in his favour. I guess I just prefer the really prolific top-order batsmen who churn out the numbers (runs, hundreds etc. at a very good SR). A guy like Bevan/Hussey is probably going to turn an already very good team into an unbeatable one.