• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Wicketkeeper Since 1990?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Russell, Healy and Latif come to mind.

ftr, I think the best pure keepers never played tests as they were ordinary with the bat.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Dinesh Karthik was superb keeper at the start of his career.But probably,he is way too 'active' that he makes mess of the catches. :P

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Parore was also under-rated i think.Both with bat & gloves. :(
Definitely underrated with the gloves - he was superb. But I don't think he was anything special with the bat.

And he's a douche, tbf.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
He used to bat at 8.So,not much opportunities.
To be fair, he used to bat at 8 because he was the 8th best batsman in the side. Also helps when your front line bowlers are guys like Chris Cairns, that can also bat in the top 7.

His FC record isn't that flash either.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Who are the best batsmen (while wicketkeeping) of the last 20 years or so? I think I shall have the following order:

1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Andy Flower
3. Kumar Sangakkara

I personally rate Sangakkara higher than the other two in batting alone. But this list is about batting while you're a wicketkeeper too. I personally won't argue if somebody keeps Flower ahead of Gilchrist, as I think they are very comparable as batsmen. Obviously, I don't rate Flower very highly as a wicketkeeper, but he was a world-class wicketkeeper-batsman for a substantial period.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd go for Jack Russell on the basis he had a relatively long test career (though as has been said not as long as it should have been) but tbh as a pure keeper I think James Foster is his equal
But not when he actually played his test cricket, surely. IIRC he dropped lots of chances when he played those series in 2001/02.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I remember seeing Gilchrist standing up to McGrath, and then stumping Craig McMillan. That was impressive.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But not when he actually played his test cricket, surely. IIRC he dropped lots of chances when he played those series in 2001/02.
I hadn't seen much of him before that series and as a result of his less than impressive showing there took no notice of him again until three or four years ago. Then when Essex turned up on Sky several times in quick succession he looked nothing like the bloke I remembered - he seemed to have reinvented himself and his keeping stood up to the quicker men was comfortably the best I've seen

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I hadn't seen much of him before that series and as a result of his less than impressive showing there took no notice of him again until three or four years ago. Then when Essex turned up on Sky several times in quick succession he looked nothing like the bloke I remembered - he seemed to have reinvented himself and his keeping stood up to the quicker men was comfortably the best I've seen
Fair enough. tbh when I was typing my previous post, I couldn't believe it was almost 10 years since he played test cricket. He's entitled to have improved since then,of course.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Dinesh Karthik was superb keeper at the start of his career.But probably,he is way too 'active' that he makes mess of the catches. :P
He got dropped from the reserve wicketkeeper position even due to his poor keeping in Srilanka.

While his batting improved,his keeping really deteriorated.

Borges

International Regular
Yup. As far as 'pure' keepers go, I'd place Jack Russel among with the all time greats. But he kept so, so much better in FC cricket than in test cricket.

Healy too was one of the very best ever, but I think Russel was even better.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
He got dropped from the reserve wicketkeeper position even due to his poor keeping in Srilanka.

While his batting improved,his keeping really deteriorated.
Yeah.Agree.And now,even his batting is not that good.

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
Meh, apparently the keeper with the most dismissals in test history barely merits a mention, sees off 7 other suitors, Jack Russell couldn't see off Alec Stewart, but he's the best 'keeper since 1990?