• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Wicketkeeper Since 1990?

Riggins

International Captain
Gilly. His batting overshadowed his keeping that is all. Gilly would still take spectacular catches and what not and he could walk in to any team just as a keeper.

If you want to say pick a keeper whose batting sucked, Then I would go with Mongia although he was a reasonable bat.
I really like this post. Really agree about Gilly and it made me lol. :)

Cruxdude

International Debutant
How do people here rate Mongia? I thought he was pretty awesome especially keeping to spinners on rank turners.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's amazing how wicketkeepers are pigeon-holed (as either a keeper who can barely bat or a batsman who can barely keep) early on in their careers, and then aren't allowed to change no matter how they improve. Chris Read probably the no.1 example of this.
To be honest I'd say Russell was more of an example. Almost as soon as he came into the side he was pigeon-holed as a top keeper but poor batsman, but as BB says he wasn't far behind Stewart in averages (and indeed until right towards the end of Stewart's career he averaged more) yet he was always the first man ditched for another bowler.

Wonder how much better we'd have been if we'd had Stewart and Atherton opening and Russell keeping?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Healy or Russell, not much in it either way.

Only seem him once, but Manou looked the dog's bollocks as a keeper when I did. He was so far ahead of Haddin and Prior it was staggering.
heh, yeah absolutely. Didn't take that many one-handed speccys mainly because his footwork and anticipation was so good he didn't need to.

Burgey

Healy... Was very very good for a very very long time. Hard as nails too.

Technically, rate Russell very, very highly. Agree Latif was very good too.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
How do people here rate Mongia? I thought he was pretty awesome especially keeping to spinners on rank turners.
He was really good.Probably the best India ever produced.But the fact is that his not so good batting overshadowed his brilliant glove-work.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That is an incredible insult to Gilchrist
Nah, it's probably spot on. Australia > Pakistan by such a massive margin in general that the Australian equivalent of Afridi's batting would probably be about Gilchrist's level. :ph34r:

Top_Cat

DWTA. Haddin ownz the 'suicidal shots at the most inappropriate times' role.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Healey

...closely followed by Rashid Latif and Adam Gilchrist...

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Essentially, Stewart never should have told anyone he could bat. Robbed us of a quality opener and a quality keeper...
I assume you mean Stewart never should have told anyone he could keep wicket? Very true, because at Test level he couldn't.

The best keeper is Russell by a distance, followed by Healey and Latif. James Foster is the best keeper at the moment but won't get in the Test team due to Prior's semi-competent keeping and vastly superior batting.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Just found this epic catch by Gilly. (1:38)

I assume you mean Stewart never should have told anyone he could keep wicket? Very true, because at Test level he couldn't.

The best keeper is Russell by a distance, followed by Healey and Latif. James Foster is the best keeper at the moment but won't get in the Test team due to Prior's semi-competent keeping and vastly superior batting.
Haha, yeah, that's what I meant.