• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test batsman having average < 40

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Such a nice thread!

I'll go with Stokes here looking at the number of impactful innings he has played despite the average. Also, Kapil for the same reason!

Victor Ian

International Coach
Is this a proxy for **** team? My initial reaction looking down the list was a whole generation of English mediocrity, and then most other players (a few obvious exceptions) drawing feelings of 'meh' regarding their teams of the time. I guess, to hang around and score centuries with a <40 avg, requires a shortage of competition for your spot.

Slifer

International Captain
Nothing better captures the utter mediocrity that was English cricket in the 90s than this.

MA Atherton and Nasser Hussain playing 200 tests between them despite averaging just 37.

I think a parallel now.would be Ajinkya Rahane getting a prolonged run in Indian test side despite mediocre return overall.
Pretty much sums up the current WI team. Especially where batting is concerned. It's the worst I've seen it ever!!