• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test batsman having average < 40

sunilz

International Regular
Stacking up ATGs won't win you the matches against ATG established sides. Players needs to complement each other. For example, the above team have players who have been frequently cleaned up by Warne and McGrath. Boucher struggled to keep to Murali. Vettori was great in Australia playing his role in NZ, but doesn't fit in that team.

Something like

Sangakkara
Shewag
Dravid
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Dhoni
Flintoff
Harmison
Muralitharan
Akthar

would have complemented nicely. However still they won't have the bonding of a usual team has.
Need Laxman and Pietersen against AUS somehow

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stacking up ATGs won't win you the matches against ATG established sides. Players needs to complement each other. For example, the above team have players who have been frequently cleaned up by Warne and McGrath. Boucher struggled to keep to Murali. Vettori was great in Australia playing his role in NZ, but doesn't fit in that team.

Something like

Sangakkara
Shewag
Dravid
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Dhoni
Flintoff
Harmison
Muralitharan
Akthar

would have complemented nicely. However still they won't have the bonding of a usual team has.
Murali can't bowl in Australia anyway, if we're going to fix that team Kumble would have been a better foil for Vettori.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali can't bowl in Australia anyway, if we're going to fix that team Kumble would have been a better foil for Vettori.
Didn't say he cannot in that super test. If Dhoni was there instead of Boucher would have picked up some additional wickets too. Boucher had no idea.

Shady Slim

International Coach
nothing better than logging on to cricket web dot com to post for the first time all week because i've been busy, to come to a thread about batsmen who have a sub-40 average, going to the last page and seeing the beginnings of a ****ing warne vs murali debate

to answer the thread however, i feel some distinction needs to be made in the question between modern batsmen and old timey batsmen when it comes to who's the best who averages 40, because of how totals and averages have inflated since the old timers. napoleon is a manlet but he was average height for his time, maybe a bit smaller, i don't exactly remember, but he wasn't the manlet we know him to be today. so he can't really be compared to the modern generals in a best short general contest or some shizz. same deal, what averaging a bit under 40 means, well, the stakes and upshot of that have radically changed since the old days.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
look i don't disagree but "society" wants us to think guys with heights that begin with a five aren't total manlets, and if we speak out against that oppressive quo we run the risk of a ban
Really? This is the first I've heard of a "height positive" movement to protect the feelings of lesser humans

jcas0167

International Debutant
I used to love watching Nathan Astle bat, such a clean striker. He still holds the record for fastest test double century, scored off 153 balls against England in 2002. Ended up with 11 hundreds and averaging 37.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't say he cannot in that super test. If Dhoni was there instead of Boucher would have picked up some additional wickets too. Boucher had no idea.
If not Boucher it would be have been McCullum not Dhoni in the Super Test. McCullum was picked in the original shortlisted squad; Dhoni wasn't.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
How would this team fare against AUS 1999-2007 or WI of 80s ? ?

I feel they have a very decent chance due to Imran +Miller+ Pollock + Jadeja + Shakib + Stokes.
Depends how you choose to rate the old timers. If you consider them as good relative to modern standards as they were in relation to their own, that team would obliterate Aus/WI. WG alone is worth pretty much the best two bats from either team.

They should probably be nerfed as a result of changing levels of competitiveness, and the answer depends on how much you nerf them.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Really? This is the first I've heard of a "height positive" movement to protect the feelings of lesser humans
Yeah, I've been spending my adult life disdainfully spitting on the heads of anyone under my own 7' height, and all of the subhuman scum have meekly accepted this as the natural order of the universe.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
ATG XI players averaging in the 30s with the bat
Grace
Trumper
Stewart
Hill
Miller
Shakib
Stokes
Imran
Jadeja
Pollock
Knott
I'd get rid of either Shakib or Stokes depending on conditions, move Trumper into the middle order, probably 5, open with Stewart and have Shrewsbury at 3.