• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test batsman having average < 40

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jaddu is the kind of batsman, if he can figure out how to play within himself and get a start, which means defending and leaving a lot early on and just scoring with nips and tucks off the legs etc, with his great eye, once he is in, he can bat big, I feel.
Could have said this about KP, his best innings were when he was cautious to begin with and exploded when he was set rather than trying to smash it from ball 1.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If Jaddu, Shakib and Stokes focused on just their batting and not bowling much i.e being a 5th or 6th bowling option, they will definitely average above 40.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Azhar Mahmood is a good shout. Can't believe he averaged only 30 with the bat in his career, which contained 3 superlative 100s and just one fifty.

Two of those 100s came in SA vs their best attack - Donald, Devilliers and Pollock in their prime. And the Durban 132 especially which saved Pakistan from the doldrums (89-5) and eventually won the test for them. Classical strokes with some muscle behind them. He resembled Inzy a bit.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Could have said this about KP, his best innings were when he was cautious to begin with and exploded when he was set rather than trying to smash it from ball 1.
Yeah Jaddu is obviously not as good as KP as a batsman but it is a method that works for certain types of players more than others. Glad Jaddu has identified he is one of them.

sunilz

International Regular
ATG XI players averaging in the 30s with the bat
Grace
Trumper
Stewart
Hill
Miller
Shakib
Stokes
Imran
Jadeja
Pollock
Knott
How would this team fare against AUS 1999-2007 or WI of 80s ? ?

I feel they have a very decent chance due to Imran +Miller+ Pollock + Jadeja + Shakib + Stokes.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

How would this team fare against AUS 1999-2007 or WI of 80s ? ?

I feel they have a very decent chance due to Imran + Pollock + Jadeja + Shakib + Stokes.
Pretty good I would have thought. That batdeep is ridiculous.

TheJediBrah

Having said that though, it is really purely hypothetical judging a team like this that never would play together based on the individuals. Even this side was thrashed by Australia in 2006:

Smith
Sehwag
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Inzamam
Flintoff
Boucher
Vettori
Harmison
Muralitharan

You can pack a side full of ATGs and there's no guarantee they will perform together to the required standard against an established team that has played and trained together for years

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
You can pack a side full of ATGs and there's no guarantee they will perform together to the required standard against an established team that has played and trained together for years
Stacking up ATGs won't win you the matches against ATG established sides. Players needs to complement each other. For example, the above team have players who have been frequently cleaned up by Warne and McGrath. Boucher struggled to keep to Murali. Vettori was great in Australia playing his role in NZ, but doesn't fit in that team.

Something like

Sangakkara
Shewag
Dravid
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Dhoni
Flintoff
Harmison
Muralitharan
Akthar

would have complemented nicely. However still they won't have the bonding of a usual team has.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'd have thought in ATG teams the assumption is made that they have played together and know each others games, such as keepers being able to keep to their new bowlers as well as they kept to whatever their real teams had, or batsman working well together in terms of rotating strike and knowing how each other runs, or bowlers bowling to create foot marks for the spinners, and captains utilising the players according to their captaining skills. Is this not the usual basis for an ATG team?