• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test batsman having average < 40

Window

U19 Debutant
One day, Jadeja is going to become the only cricketer with a sub 25 bowling average and 40+ batting average. So he will be out of this list soon.
He's gonna have a tough time averaging 40+ with the bat tbh. The England tour will be especially tough on his numbers I suspect.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jaddu is the kind of batsman, if he can figure out how to play within himself and get a start, which means defending and leaving a lot early on and just scoring with nips and tucks off the legs etc, with his great eye, once he is in, he can bat big, I feel. And the biggest change about his batting has been the fact that he has started to try and bat like he would in FC, get himself in a bit and give himself a chance. That, and the fact that he has worked on his power hitting for the IPL and is now coming good in that aspect as well, and being a fast runner between the wickets has kinda been the perfect storm for him as far as unlocking his batting abilities go. I hope the injury does not set him back much coz he looks set to enter his prime for the next 3-4 years in both disciplines, tbh.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mushtaq Mohammad fits the bill perfectly. 7 centuries in 57 tests. Pretty epic FC record. Just a tick below 40.

If we're going h4x then Arthur Shrewsbury and Warwick Armstrong have to be in consideration too.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Reading a thread from scratch that's already three pages long is outside of my attention span, but I doubt anyone has mentioned Keith Stackpole anyway.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
After all these years, Watling averages a meager 38 odd. I mean, watching him play such crucial knocks (most of his 100 should've been under pressure tbh), such an uphill skier who can't take dem easy runs. Perfect candidate for this thread, IMO.

Even Baz averages <39, and once you take the gloves out it swells to 42 odd IIRC.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
A host of Pakistan players from the 70's/80's whose average went below 40 :
- Mushtaq Mohammed (3,643 runs @ 39.17)
- Majid Khan (3,931 runs @ 38.92)
- Asif Iqbal (3,575 runs @ 38.85)
- Mudassar Nazar (4,114 runs @ 38.09)
- Mohsin Khan (2,709 runs @ 37.10)
- Wasim Raja (2,821 runs @ 36.16)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't expect Marvan to average 48.8 in FC.

Averages 43.2 opening.
41.4 at home and 45.2 away.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Alec Stewart would have been one of the best openers in the last 40 years if the Eng selectors didn't screw his career up.

ma1978

International 12th Man
A few come to mind.

Stokes is far more valuable than his average and I doubt he finishes his career below 40

Stewart has been discussed above

Majid Khan was before I was born but I've heard the old timers discuss how fantastic he was

And they don't have the numbers but on pure talent Ian Botham and Kapil Dev. Kapil's 129 in Port Elizabeth, spectacular