• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Sports Names

shortpitched713

International Captain
This is a thread to compile the best names of actual sportsmen, by how well the name corresponds to the sport they play. I'll get started.

Basketball: Tim Duncan - Reason: His name sounds like "dunking" a basketball.
Cricket: Marcus Trescothick - His surname, minus the r, has all the letters of the word cricket, and similar sounding syllables.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scott Speed.

It might actually be a ridiculous made up American racing driver name than Lightning Mcqueen.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I did think of Peter Bowler, but ironically he was mainly a batsman.

There's the England world cup winning footballer Alan Ball, of course, but my personal favourite is sometime Cambridge United (from their non league days) striker, Michael Gash, who, fittingly, wasn't very good.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I did think of Peter Bowler, but ironically he was mainly a batsman.

There's the England world cup winning footballer Alan Ball, of course, but my personal favourite is sometime Cambridge United (from their non league days) striker, Michael Gash, who, fittingly, wasn't very good.
There's Arthur Fielder.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rising Pune Supergiant. This technically counts because its named after the team owner (They're owned by the Rama Prasad Sanjiv Goenka group)

Also:

“There is no superstition behind calling ourselves Supergiant now,” the team’s spokesperson told HT.

“Last year when he called ourselves Supergiants, we were looking at four to five players in the squad who had supergiant abilities. While we were preparing for this IPL, we thought why just a few players, the entire team is supergiant. So, that is why we decided to go with Supergiant this time,” the spokesperson added.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...-luck-charm/story-0clQ2Z6J7Jup5huWM8ErbP.html