• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best pace trios (outside of WI of 70's and 80's)

watson

Banned
These combos spring to mind;

Lillee-Thomson-Gilmour

Lindwall-Miller-Johnston

Adcock-Heine-Goddard

McGrath-Gillespie-Lee

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The first time two true quciks played in the same Test team may well have been Gregory and MacDonald in 1920/21.
I always believed that was the case but when I was researching a feature on them discovered it wasn't. In 1893 against Australia England went into the match with two genuinely fast bowlers in Tom Richardson and Arthur Mold (he of the questioned action) backed up by Bill Brockwell who was pretty sharp as well. WG was England skipper and he opened the bowling with Richardson and Mold

In the 1894/95 series England again had three pace bowlers, Richardson, Brockwell and Bill Lockwood, although the skipper this time was Drewy Stoddard, and he followed the fashion of the time and generally opened up with Richardson and Bobby Peel's orthodox left arm spin

Flametree

International 12th Man
Bodyline : Larwood, Tate, Geary was it?

Invincibles : Miller, Lindwall, Johnston (and Toshack)

England vs Aus in the mid to late 70s :
Botham, Willis, plus any of Hendrick, Old, Dilley, Lever
vs
Lillee, Thomson, plus one of Walker, Gilmour or Pascoe.
Hell, even during WSC, the Aussie test xi still had Hogg, Hurst and Dymock.

SA : Adcock, Heine, Goddard in the 50's, Procter, Pollock, Goddard and Barlow on in the 60s, Donald, Pollock, Ntini (and Kallis); plus the current line-up isn't too shabby.

Pak : Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib

WI : Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop

Back to Aus : I prefer McGrath, Gillespie, Fleming or McGrath, McDermott, Reiffel to any combination with Lee or Kaspo...

kingkallis

International Coach
From our era :

Waqar Younis, Wasim Akram, Shoaib Akhtar
Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Ian Bishop
Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock, Fanie de Villiers
Glenn McGrath, Jason Gillespie, Brett Lee
Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander, Morne Morkel
Steve Harmison, Andrew Flintoff, Matthew Hoggard

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Did the pre isolation SA have any strong trios? Procter and Peter Pollock were playing together. Did they have a third partner?

Neil Adcock and Peter Heine - but nobody even vaguely quick in support I think.
I always believed that was the case but when I was researching a feature on them discovered it wasn't. In 1893 against Australia England went into the match with two genuinely fast bowlers in Tom Richardson and Arthur Mold (he of the questioned action) backed up by Bill Brockwell who was pretty sharp as well. WG was England skipper and he opened the bowling with Richardson and Mold

In the 1894/95 series England again had three pace bowlers, Richardson, Brockwell and Bill Lockwood, although the skipper this time was Drewy Stoddard, and he followed the fashion of the time and generally opened up with Richardson and Bobby Peel's orthodox left arm spin
Good digging that - although my reading suggests Brockwell was distinctly medium pace.

The selection and playing of two out and out quicks would have raised debate at the time.

Last edited: