• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best pace trios (outside of WI of 70's and 80's)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Has any other team or any other period produced truly great pace trios? WI of 90's had Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop, so they will be a good candidate. I also discovered that in a few matches Lindwall, Miller and Davidson played together (example 1, example 2). That would've been one hell of a trio! Any other such examples?

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
England would have had two of Tyson, Statham and Trueman teamed with Bailey in the 50s afew times, Peter Loader in the mix as well.

They also put out Farnes, Allen and Bowes (and I think 'Nobby' Clark, fast left arm) in a Test in the 30s.

The West Indies had Constantine, Martindale and Hylton - all quick - who played together.

It wasn't until the 70s that a 3 fast boewler attack was other than a rare tactic (Davidson and Bailey couldn't be called fast).

For many years one fast bowler was considered plenty. The first time two true quciks played in the same Test team may well have been Gregory and MacDonald in 1920/21.

Meridio

International Regular
Boult - Southee - Bracewell :ph34r:

McGrath - Gillepsie - Kasprowicz/Lee pretty handy too.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
not an out 'n out pace trio though...

Botham, Willis, Dilley
Waqar, Wasim, Aaqib
Simon Jones, Harmison, Flintoff
Lillee,Thomson, Walker
Donald, Schultz, CMathews (BMacmillan)

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Me, you and the next ***y fool to post in this thread :wub: We'll cut thru batting lineups like a hot knife through butter. On a more serious note. Did Pollock, Ntini and Donald operate together as a unit at any point in time?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't really mean express fast bowlers only. Fast medium and medium fast will do too if they were very good.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Wasim, Waqar and Imran.

Lindwall, Miller and Davo.

Lillee, Thommo and Maxy.

McGrath, Gillespie and Lee/ Kaspa/ Bichel.

Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop.

Trueman, Statham and Tyson.

Srinath, Agarkar and Ganguly.

Days of Grace

International Captain
England would have had two of Tyson, Statham and Trueman teamed with Bailey in the 50s afew times, Peter Loader in the mix as well.

They also put out Farnes, Allen and Bowes (and I think 'Nobby' Clark, fast left arm) in a Test in the 30s.

The West Indies had Constantine, Martindale and Hylton - all quick - who played together.

It wasn't until the 70s that a 3 fast boewler attack was other than a rare tactic (Davidson and Bailey couldn't be called fast).

For many years one fast bowler was considered plenty. The first time two true quciks played in the same Test team may well have been Gregory and MacDonald in 1920/21.

Davo was more than quick enough from the videos I have watched of him.

Lillee/Thomson/Walker
McGrath/Lee/Gillespie (not sure how many tests they played together)
McGrath/Gillespie/Kasprowicz

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Did the pre isolation SA have any strong trios? Procter and Peter Pollock were playing together. Did they have a third partner?

Also Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib will be worth a shout although Waqar was on the wane when Shoaib arrived.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Bond, Cairns, Nash

Unfortunately (well tragically for Kiwi fans) they only played 3 ODIs together (thanks Stats Guru) . Yet were fairly close in age.