• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI performances

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'm a Test Cricket fan all the way, however I thought I'd have a look at great ODI performances, since I can't remember any of them after 1 year :laugh:

I'll start with Viv Richards.....1987 vs New Zealand...came in with WI 3-50 and scored 119 runs off 113 balls....then took 5-41 off 10 overs...as well as captaining the WI to a 95 run win...this was the first occurrence of a hundred and 5 wkts in a ODI

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm a Test Cricket fan all the way, however I thought I'd have a look at great ODI performances, since I can't remember any of them after 1 year :laugh:

I'll start with Viv Richards.....1987 vs New Zealand...came in with WI 3-50 and scored 119 runs off 113 balls....then took 5-41 off 10 overs...as well as captaining the WI to a 95 run win...this was the first occurrence of a hundred and 5 wkts in a ODI
You make it sound like being an appreciating ODI's and Tests are meant to be mutually exclusive. Why the disclaimer?

aussie tragic

International Captain
..next great allround effort was again Viv Richards

1988 vs India...took 3-42 off 8 overs and then came in with WI 2-77 and scored 110* off only 77 balls ...as well as captaining the WI to a 6 wkt win...this was the first occurrence of an unbeaten hundred and 3 wkts in a ODI

aussie tragic

International Captain
You make it sound like being an appreciating ODI's and Tests are meant to be mutually exclusive. Why the disclaimer?
Because Test cricket is the only for that counts in the long-term :ph34r:

No I do like ODI as well when they are exciting, however I do find it strange that I don't really remember any great ODI performances and yet still recall great Test matches from the 1980's (oops, I even remember Rodney Hogg destroying England on debut in 1978 when I was only a young kid)

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
8-2 after 3 overs, Tendulkar smashed a 128 ball 141 to help India score 307 batting first against Australia in the Quarter Final of the 1998 Champions trophy.

Australia were cruising at 145-1 by the 25th over, when Joshi and Srinath struck. Still, at 194-4, in the 34th over, with Steve Waugh, Bevan and Martyn, Australia were still in, when Tendulkar decided to have another go at the Aussies, with the ball this time, and 14 overs later, Australia were bundled out for 263, Tendulkar returning figures of 4-38 from 9.1 overs including the prized scalps of Steve Waugh, Bevan and Martyn.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Aravinda de Silva, 1996 World cup final. Aussies were going great guns with Taylor and Ponting. Enter de Silva with the ball. Taylor skies a sweep. ponting misreads a big off break and bowled middle stump. Ian Healy done in the air and ball spins through the gate in on to the off stump. Takes 3-44 and Aussies are done for 247.

Then SL comes to bat. Kalu gets out pulling. The Jayasuriya run out 2 - 17. Hammers a Century to win the world cup.

One of the greatest due to the situation and the importance of the match.

stumpski

International Captain
Viv had a pretty good game against England in 1984 as well ... I was working that day, but I remember I was able to listen to the radio in the office (no day-nighters back then) and listening almost in disbelief.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty unimportant match but I remember this one by Ganguly, thought it was one of his best ODI knocks.

stumpski

International Captain
Pretty unimportant match but I remember this one by Ganguly, thought it was one of his best ODI knocks.
Good effort to bat through the 50 overs and score at a run a ball, but the NZ attack looks a bit ordinary ... I wonder why Vettori didn't bowl?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He managed to accelerate like crazy in the last 5-10 overs on a wicket where all the Indian batsmen were struggling and it made all the difference in the final result.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Wow, where did he pull this one from...

South Africa's DJ Callighan....I thought this was Daryll Cullinan when I first saw it, but no it was David Callighan in 1994 who opened the innings against New Zealand with 169* off 143 balls...and then came on as 7th bowler to take 3-32 off 6 overs...the only occurrence of 150+ and 3 wkts...

The funny thing is that his highest score before this match was 45* (which remained his 2nd highest score) and his best bowling was 2-15 (which also remained his 2nd best haul)

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Pretty sure that it's the highest ODI score for a Test side by a batsman who never played Test cricket.