• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielder After Rhodes????

Who is the best fielder after Jonty Rhodes???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spinksy

Banned
Why isn't Hussey in the poll? He is an exceptional fieldsman in my opinion and many people would've voted for him.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
most of the posts n votes r in favour of Symonds.........

bit i think Kaif is better than him.............

remember the catch he took in 2004 vs Pakistan ,,,,,,,when PAK was chasing India's 349

he jumped over Hemang Badani to take the catch....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You'd have to throw Tillekaratne's name there as well. Best fielder I have seen in front of the wicket who fields close to the bat in the 90s. He has the highest number of catches taken per match by a non-wicker keeper as well. Used to take blinders at short leg and silly-point positions.
Close catching - Hashan Tillekaratne, no contest at all. The man was electric. Outfied and 30yd circle fielding - Mahanama
Yeah, remember Tillekaratne now hactually. He was superb (and a part-time wicketkeeper too).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Inzy caught plenty - excellent slipper. Hopeless outfielder, but in Tests when you can stand at slip all day (and average 50 with the bat) - who cares?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think you are under rating the two things that made Jonty stand out.. His anticipation and his speed across the turf. I have seen all 3 practically all through their career and I still don't think Ponting and Symonds have the pace of Jonty across the turf. I think Ponting anticipates almost as well as Jonty but I don't Symonds is in that level yet. He is brilliant when he gets to the ball, but Jonty was juz that split second earlier into his move that a lot of times, he didn't have to dive when other fielders would have had to. He just got to the ball earlier, having read it that little bit earlier than others would.

Get the feeling Jonty's brilliance is under rated around here. :)
Well I still rate Jonty the best fielder I've ever seen, so I wouldn't say I'm underrating him here.

I just argued versatility, with regards to maybe Symonds is possibly the best all-round fielder I've seen, rather than just simply fielder. However if he's poor in the slips as Prince EWS mentioned, then maybe he's not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I recall a couple of occasions Rhodes fielded in the slips - he didn't drop anything, but he never looked right, and he always seemed to be wanting to wander off to cover.

Perhaps he just thought it was a waste of his skills, but it's always stuck in my mind. Rhodes was never a slipper.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not denying that you're right, but when has he fielded in the slips and been poor, because my memory escapes me.
Against India last summer when Hayden was out, he found himself in the slips and dropped a couple. Not conclusive evidence by a long shot, but it still backs up my original stance to some degree.