• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielder After Rhodes????

Who is the best fielder after Jonty Rhodes???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Even if Rhodes was the best ever fielder it's a fairly curious list of choices for next best. The best English outfielder was Alan Ealham and Ross Edwards was just as good as Rhodes in the covers in his much shorter career.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Symonds, Jonty and Ponting are all the best I've seen.

I'll argue though that Symonds can do close to what Jonty and Ponting did in the ring, but is a better outfielder.

Whether that makes him a better fielder is up for debate, but it definitely makes him more versatile.
I think you are under rating the two things that made Jonty stand out.. His anticipation and his speed across the turf. I have seen all 3 practically all through their career and I still don't think Ponting and Symonds have the pace of Jonty across the turf. I think Ponting anticipates almost as well as Jonty but I don't Symonds is in that level yet. He is brilliant when he gets to the ball, but Jonty was juz that split second earlier into his move that a lot of times, he didn't have to dive when other fielders would have had to. He just got to the ball earlier, having read it that little bit earlier than others would.

Get the feeling Jonty's brilliance is under rated around here. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Even if Rhodes was the best ever fielder it's a fairly curious list of choices for next best. The best English outfielder was Alan Ealham and Ross Edwards was just as good as Rhodes in the covers in his much shorter career.
I thought the thread title meant quite literally "After" Jonty Rhodes, in the sense that the best fielder in the world after Jonty called it a day.

I don't think it means that Jonty is the greatest ever or that these guys are the second greatest ever. I guess it just means that JOnty was the best of his era and now, after his retirement, the guy is asking who is the best now.

And for my money, it is Ponting. His versatitlity as a fielder is what clinched it in my mind.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I thought the thread title meant quite literally "After" Jonty Rhodes, in the sense that the best fielder in the world after Jonty called it a day.

I don't think it means that Jonty is the greatest ever or that these guys are the second greatest ever. I guess it just means that JOnty was the best of his era and now, after his retirement, the guy is asking who is the best now.

And for my money, it is Ponting. His versatitlity as a fielder is what clinched it in my mind.

It seems not too many read it that way with Randall, Bland, Gower, Richards, Penny etc etc being mentioned.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
its great debate about best fielder.. i think thats why the stats should include run outs..
ie direct run outs or assisted (fielder + keeper/bowler)

Protean

State Regular
From what I've seen Symonds and de Villiers both spectacular. Sybrand Engelbrecht was amazing in under-19 WC and when he came in to sub for the Cobras at the end of last season he took a phenomenal catch too, look forward to seeing more of him.

MrHat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Border's a very under-rated groundfielder, lethal from midwicket and always delivered under pressure. Not sure he fielded at slip much but by probably by choice as I think his catching was exemplary aswell. Gotta throw in the Chappell's, their combination in the cordon was feared and many ex players talk of never seeing Greg drop a catch.

The Windies were strong in the 80's early 90's (never saw Lloyd's era), their presence was quite intimidating and they hunted as a pack. Nowadays they have moments of brilliance but there is a different feel about them. Bravo takes the alot of freakish catches he is definitely up there.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The best close catchers ever were the likes of Eknath Solkar, Garry Sobers, Ian Botham and Mark Waugh.
You'd have to throw Tillekaratne's name there as well. Best fielder I have seen in front of the wicket who fields close to the bat in the 90s. He has the highest number of catches taken per match by a non-wicker keeper as well. Used to take blinders at short leg and silly-point positions.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka: close-catching - M Jayawardene?; outfielding - Mahanama
Close catching - Hashan Tillekaratne, no contest at all. The man was electric. Outfied and 30yd circle fielding - Mahanama

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are we missing Keith Arthuton? He was angry with journalists when he was referred as "Black Jonty". He wanted Jonty to be called "white Arthuton"!

But, he was one of the best fielders I have seen. Even better than Roger Harper.