• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever ODI bowler

Best ever ODI bowler

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howe_zat

Audio File
Was Warne a very good ODI bowler??? I don't recall too many of his ODI exploits that well. It might be that his test record over shadows his ODIs.
Warne was pretty good in ODIs but not a patch on his Test performances. He barely played ODIs in the last 5 years or so of his career, with Brad Hogg being the incumbent performer.

smash84

The Tiger King
That's unbelievably close. Can we not agree that we're splitting hairs here, and you'd pick one depending on what type of bowler he is and the role he has in your side?
I would say Garner comes out marginally better in this analysis. However Wasim played 258 ODIs more than Garner. Probably a more telling sign of the times than anything else but still 98 ODIs is a small sample for my tastes.

But I must say that Garner does come out on top in the peer analysis.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Joel Garner

8 matches | 7 wickets @ 32 a piece in Asia [ UAE + Pakistan ]
Now we know why Wasim should be rated better then Garner.

The ultimate test is to bowl on the flat tracks and produce results as Wasim did for his long career as a fast bowler from subcontinent.

A lot of people don't account for all the cricket that Wasim played in subcontinent when comparing with other bowlers who have had favorable bowling conditions at their homes.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two semifinals actually, '96 and '99.

While World Cups are obviously the biggest games, I think non-WC ODI performances tend to get dismissed too easily at times. Not much doubt in my mind that all the names nominated here are better ODI bowlers than Warne.

smash84

The Tiger King
A lot of people don't account for all the cricket that Wasim played in subcontinent when comparing with other bowlers who have had favorable bowling conditions at their homes.
True that. It is not easy bowling fast in the sub-continent or Sharjah.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Now we know why Wasim should be rated better then Garner.

The ultimate test is to bowl on the flat tracks and produce results as Wasim did for his long career as a fast bowler from subcontinent.

It's interesting to note that whilst in Tests Wasim fared better at home it is the opposite in ODIs.

Was Warne a very good ODI bowler??? I don't recall too many of his ODI exploits that well. It might be that his test record over shadows his ODIs.
You're a Pakistani...do you not remember the 99 WC? Warne's ODIs feats are probably overshadowed by his Tests since he retired much earlier than when he did overall.

Both in 96 and 99 his performances were amazing. Warne was the type of player more likely to go for a few runs but more likely to change a game. At the highest stage, few compare.

When you account for the weaker sides; Warnes overall figures are pretty much like Murali's. He is definitely in the discussion and based on his slip fielding, tactical nous and batting he gets on my team overall.

YouTube - Shane Warne awesome spell, 10-4-29-4 vs South Africa - 1999 World Cup Semi Final
YouTube - Shane Warne (Australia) 4-33 vs Pakistan at Lords, 1999 World Cup Final

Pretty sure you can find his performance against the Windies in 96 if you look hard enough.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
It's interesting to note that whilst in Tests Wasim fared better at home it is the opposite in ODIs.

You're a Pakistani...do you not remember the 99 WC? Warne's ODIs feats are probably overshadowed by his Tests since he retired much earlier than when he did overall.

Both in 96 and 99 his performances were amazing. Warne was the type of player more likely to go for a few runs but more likely to change a game. At the highest stage, few compare.

When you account for the weaker sides; Warnes overall figures are pretty much like Murali's. He is definitely in the discussion and based on his slip fielding, tactical nous and batting he gets on my team overall.

YouTube - Shane Warne awesome spell, 10-4-29-4 vs South Africa - 1999 World Cup Semi Final
YouTube - Shane Warne (Australia) 4-33 vs Pakistan at Lords, 1999 World Cup Final

Pretty sure you can find his performance against the Windies in 96 if you look hard enough.
Yeah...how can we forget the drubbing in the 99 WC final.....

Anwar's change of grip and a collapse....

smash84

The Tiger King

Warne's ODIs feats are probably overshadowed by his Tests since he retired much earlier than when he did overall.

Didn't know that about Wasim though that he was worse at home in ODIs than in tests. But it is no secret that it is very difficult to bowl well on sub-continental or Sharjah pitches in ODIs. And Wasim was very good in these places.

I was actually looking for the 1996 WC semi-final b/w windies and Australia but couldn't find it. I wanted to see that ball again where Steve Waugh got rid of Lara. An absolute peach of a delivery I remember and Lara was batting so well.

I guess Warne was just so good in test matches that I really don't recall too many of his ODI exploits. Had forgotten about the 99 WC. But I agree that Warne was a player for the big stage. And he brought so much to the side. It was a treat to watch him captain the Rajasthan Royals. One of the best captains that cricket never had.