• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsman of the Last 10 Years

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lara's under-rating, as such, through statistical analysis, can largely be explained by the "Battle of the Test Innings" thread that we saw, and the volume of entries he had in there.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
P.S. When I saw this thread, I thought it said "Best Batman of the last 10 years" - my reply was going to be "Definitely Christian Bale"....:laugh:
No Way I wrote that! thats what happens when you rush I guess:laugh:

Mods, anyway you can change the title to 'Batsman' rather than 'Bataman'

Cheers :oops:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
Okokokok, i'll change it.

1.Hayden
2.Smith
3.Lara
4.Tendulkar
5.Law
Was not laughing at your favourite batsman’s, I like three of them immensely. I thought what you said about Aravinda was rather amusing though.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Goughy said:
Im sure many of you have read this already, but I have not seen it mentioned.
This was originally from the UK Wisden Cricketer and I read it in South African Sports Illustrated.

I thought it was relevant given the votes currently going on.

The theory was that averages, emotions and memories are not the best ways to subjectively rationalize who was the best batsmen.

They set 10 criteria that players were ranked in and then the list was produced.

The 10 Criteria (each of equal weighting)
  • Score Ratio- Batting Average divided by that of their contemporaries
  • Failure Rate- % of Innings under 20
  • Conversion Rate- % of innings greater than 20 converted into 100s
  • % of Match Centuries- % of all centuries in matches he played that were made by that individual
  • % of Batsmens Runs- % of total runs scored in a game that were made by that individual
  • % of Own Teams Runs
  • Strike Rate
  • Top Scorer- % of games in which he was top scorer
  • Conventional Averages
    [*]% of Centuries in Victories
That's the one part I don't agree with. It's not the batsman's fault if his team can't win a match.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Goughy said:
Its part of it but just because someone has an opinion does not make it right and there has to be a way to attempt to cut through all the crap to attempt to find an answer.

Thats what the atricle attempts to do. It does not say who you should like or want to watch but break it down.

I mean if I said Vaughan was the best batsman it would be my opinion but I would be wrong. I may think I was right, but just because its my opinion does not make it correct.

BTW I dont
Fair enouigh. I just personaly dont see the point in searching for the very best player through stats alone. And I think 99% of people would agree that Lara is a better batsman than Hayden. Showing that in depth statistical evidence is pointless.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It's like pick the batsman you want to be declare as best and then forget everything about runs scored and start building up stupid criteria where he can score above others. How else in the world can a batsman like Cullinan be ahead of Dravid and Kallis ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
It's like pick the batsman you want to be declare as best and then forget everything about runs scored and start building up stupid criteria where he can score above others. How else in the world can a batsman like Cullinan be ahead of Dravid and Kallis ?

To be fair, the person who put Cullinan did say it was his 'favorite' and not 'best'.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
To be fair, the person who put Cullinan did say it was his 'favorite' and not 'best'.
No, the original list put Cullinan above Dravid as the best.
Its because of the original scoring system that it happened but Cullinans career far better than most give him credit for and he was a dominant player (which the figures show). Dont let him being Warnes bunny make you think him as only an average player.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
My choice would be

1. R Dravid
2. R Ponting
3. J Kallis
4. M Hayden
5. B Lara
6. S Tendulkar
7. M Yousuf

What are your reasons for putting Dravid over Ponting (not even going to get into Lara and Tendulkar at #5 & #6).

I absolutely love Dravid, but I can't put him ahead of Ponting as hard as I try to.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
Graeme Smith > Sachin Tendulkar?

Interesting.
I was thinking of putting Sachin down, but I only base my ratings on the players Ive watched as daft as it sounds, and yes I know he's a legend, but having only seen him in three tests (With a combined run total of about 20) its not all that fair. And Ive always rated Graeme Smith

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There are plenty of better batsmen than Mohammad Yousuf in the last decade IMO. Yousuf is in the same league as guys like Damien Martyn and Graham Thorpe, and people like Steve Waugh and Inzy are certainly better.

He's just in very good form at the moment, and seems to love playing against England. He averages in the 20s against Australia I believe.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Had a rethink from my previous post & after long though this is my top 10 batsmen in order over the last decade:

1. Tendulkar
2. Lara
3. S Waugh
4. Ponting
5. Dravid
6. Inzamam
7. Hayden
8. Gilchrist
9. Kallis
10. Flower

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Had a rethink from my previous post & after long though this is my top 10 batsmen in order over the last decade:

1. Tendulkar
2. Lara
3. S Waugh
4. Ponting
5. Dravid
6. Inzamam
7. Hayden
8. Gilchrist
9. Kallis
10. Flower
that's a pretty good list, that would probably be my top 10 too, though maybe not exactly in that order....