• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Asian Test Team of All Time

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Sehwag
Gavaskar
Sanga
Sachin
Younis Khan ( Pretty underrated)
MS Dhoni
Imran Khan
Wasim
Kumble
Murali
Waqar

One could make a case for Ashwin against Kumble.But I went with Kumble cos of his 700 haul.
Interesting choices there, M.S as a wicket keeper in all time best Asian Squad! If one chooses not to play Sangakkara as a keeper, still, for me, there are better choices at the test level...

Younis Khan over Rahul Dravid! That would be quite a good poll here, like a decade ago that comparison would have heavily been on Dravid's side, but has Younis Khan towards the end achieved the levels of Dravid or even surpassed him? I don't personally think so, but an interesting one to have a debate, no doubt...

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah no way I'm playing Sanga anywhere but 3.

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Sanga
Tendulkar
Miandad
Shakib
Imran*
Engineer+
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Gavaskar
Merchant
Dravid
Tendulkar
Sangakkara +
Hazare
Imran
Kapil/Kumble
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

Gob

International Coach
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Sangakkara +
Tendulkar
Miandad
Shakib
Imran *
Wasim
Waqar
Akthar
Muralidaran

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Interesting choices there, M.S as a wicket keeper in all time best Asian Squad! If one chooses not to play Sangakkara as a keeper, still, for me, there are better choices at the test level...

Younis Khan over Rahul Dravid! That would be quite a good poll here, like a decade ago that comparison would have heavily been on Dravid's side, but has Younis Khan towards the end achieved the levels of Dravid or even surpassed him? I don't personally think so, but an interesting one to have a debate, no doubt...
I wanted to pick a middle order bat.I am of the opinion that Sanga did marginally better than David as a no.3 though its a close call.

Himannv

International Coach
Surprised that so many people seem to rate Sanga ahead of Dravid, who was one of the best number 3's in the world.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised that so many people seem to rate Sanga ahead of Dravid, who was one of the best number 3's in the world.
Sanga just kept piling up a ridiculous amount of runs into his 15th year in test cricket. Not much in it but Sanga achieved way too much in his final few years to ignore.

Younis v Dravid is a very even contest,but I'd take Sanga over both.

OverratedSanity

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Sanga
Tendulkar
Dravid
Miandad
Sarfraz +
Imran
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

Sarfraz has been the best Asian keeper-bat during my lifetime bar Sanga and I want Sanga at full capacity at number 3. Sachin and Sehwag to bowl part time spin.
Sarfraz is such a bad keeper though. Even this new and improved version, although a bit less sloppy is average st best.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, just go for Engineer or someone. Find it very hard to choose from Asian keepers of the past. Perhaps Prasanna is a good choice after all.

Daemon

Nothing wrong with Sanga really. Even assuming a reduced batting output as a keeper, he'd still comfortably be the best keeper batsman. Kept well for ages to Murali and regularly stood up to Vaas with good effect as well.

Just leave him at 6 and Dravid at 3.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I'm influenced by his being one of my father's favourite players when my dad used to watch a lot of county cricket, but here goes with a surprise at number 6....

Gavaskar
Merchant
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Javed Miandad
Mushtaq Mohammad
Imran Khan
Kirmani *
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muralitharan

Burgey

Prasana Jayawardene was an awesome gloveman. Not sure how well he would sit compared with others in the running as keeper, but his glove work was exceptional when I saw him.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Second xi

Sehwag
Saeed Anwar
Dravid
Younis Khan
Hazare
Kapil Dev
Mankad
Jayawardene *
Kumble
Fazal M
Shoaib Akhtar

watson

Banned
01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Hanif Mohammad
03. Kumar Sangakkara
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Javed Miandad
06. Vinoo Mankad
07. Kapil Dev
08. Imran Khan
09. Syed Kirmani
10. Wasim Akram
11. Subhash Gupte

Last edited:

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
I wanted to pick a middle order bat.I am of the opinion that Sanga did marginally better than David as a no.3 though its a close call.
1. No probs with Sanga being there, u picked Dhoni as a keeper, how do u explain that?
2. u picked younis khan and not dravid, do u think younis as a batsman better than dravid? I would like to know the reasons...

kingkallis

International Coach
My Asian XI

Sunil Gavaskar /
Saeed Anwar /
Kumara Sangakkara /
Sachin Tendulkar /
Javed Miandad /
Shakib Al Hasan / o
Imran Khan (c) o /
MS Dhoni + /
Wasim Akram o /
Waqar Younis o
Muttiah Muralitharan o

I have picked Dhoni over Bari or Kiri because I do not have any significant proof that they were WAY BETTER wicket-keepers than MSD.

kingkallis

International Coach
Second Best Asian XI

Vijay Merchant /
Virender Sehwag /
Rahul Dravid /
Younis Khan /
Aravinda de Silva /
VVS Laxman /
Kapil Dev o / (c)
Wasim Bari +
Anil Kumble o /
Shoaib Akhtar o
Fazal Mahmood o

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I like Shakib and all, but I cant fathom him being in an Asian all time XI in the top six when he averages 28 vs Australia, 25 vs England, 26 vs India and 20 vs SA.