• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI asks Cricket Australia for more tests

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, definitely.

Watson's reverse swing will be vital. I just hope next time he's threatening to steal a win away from India Ponting takes him off again and bowls White and Hussey.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep great moment.

Loved Clarke's hand signal to Lee that he won't be able to bowl, because they're behind in the overrates. Lee's confusion topping it off.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pfft! Oz should be at home preparing for the Ashes

The only reason the odis were scheduled were because they are a massive money spinner and both boards are greedy

The only reason this has come up is because the BCCI has finally realised that India will lose their No.1 ranking unless they actually play a few tests

Schedule 5 tests somewhere down the line and forget the band-aid solutions IMO

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

The only reason the odis were scheduled were because they are a massive money spinner and both boards are greedy

The only reason this has come up is because the BCCI has finally realised that India will lose their No.1 ranking unless they actually play a few tests

Can't see India and OZ playing out a 5-Test series ever again, tbh.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Tbh, I couldn't care less about the ulterior financial motives of both the boards, I just want to see more test cricket.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned

Care to explain how India not playing any Aus tests will take away their no.1 rankings? Or please stop making stupid claims.

And 2 tests money spinners as compared to the 4 one days sacrificed?

Lol about Bcci 'waking up' to the truth. You speak as if it's some evil act that BCCI is doing here, yes it is perhaps selfish, but how in the hell can BCCI be sure that they'll ace the series? There is equal chance of them losing or do you think Aus is a walkover? :laugh:

Further selfish or not, they have invited the no.3 team and not no.9 team so that they can roll them over. To take initiative and schedule two series against the World no.2 (where it could've actually resulted in India losing no.1 status had SA held on another 2 overs), and no.3 shows there is more to it than just the money.

Besides the thinking that 'they should be preparing for the Ashes' is what irks me. As if series with others are a means to it. Wake up and smell the coffee dude, Should there be no massive upheavels it will be a No.3 vs No.5 matchup.

Or do I smell excuses for reluctance to play test champions in their own backyard? ;-)And that perhaps since the SA series, their bowlers will face some competition that'll show how good they really are against a class side perhaps? :p

Last edited:

andyc

Care to explain how India not playing any Aus tests will take away their no.1 rankings? Or please stop making stupid claims.
If you look at social's post, he wasn't saying India had to play Tests against Australia to stay top, just that they had to play Tests. Not sure if it's true or not, but it definitely seems like you got the wrong idea with that part of the post.

Spark

Global Moderator

Lol about Bcci 'waking up' to the truth. You speak as if it's some evil act that BCCI is doing here, yes it is perhaps selfish, but how in the hell can BCCI be sure that they'll ace the series? There is equal chance of them losing or do you think Aus is a walkover? :laugh:

Further selfish or not, they have invited the no.3 team and not no.9 team so that they can roll them over. To take initiative and schedule two series against the World no.2 (where it could've actually resulted in India losing no.1 status had SA held on another 2 overs), and no.3 shows there is more to it than just the money.

Besides the thinking that 'they should be preparing for the Ashes' is what irks me. As if series with others are a means to it. Wake up and smell the coffee dude, Should there be no massive upheavels it will be a No.3 vs No.5 matchup.

Or do I smell excuses for reluctance to play test champions in their own backyard? ;-)And that perhaps since the SA series, their bowlers will face some competition that'll show how good they really are against a class side perhaps? :p
This was a pretty good post until the end, where it became pretty bad.

Nothing and I mean nothing compares to the Ashes.

Teja.

Global Moderator

Australians value the ashes more than any series, like us Indians value an Indo-Pak series(a flat track slugfest being an exception) over any other series.

social

It's pretty simple

If India play no tests, they gain no ranking points

If others play tests and keep winning, they gain ranking points

Eventually, someone else will take over at no. 1

Night follows day and all that

Sir Alex

Banned
If you look at social's post, he wasn't saying India had to play Tests against Australia to stay top, just that they had to play Tests. Not sure if it's true or not, but it definitely seems like you got the wrong idea with that part of the post.
Ok. Even if India goes ahead with the 7 One days, and play no tests at all, how're they going to lose out on the rankings? At the moment, only SA looks any likely to topple India without playing a series against them, and again that requires them to play and win one or two series against the top 4 teams to do that.

Unless India fails to win any series between now, and the Ashes, I don't see how they'd be toppled by any team. The coming winter series against SA might be a title clash however. But I can't see Aus regaining no.1 anytime soon if they continue to play the no.7s and no.8s. So for them also, it's a great chance to become number 1 as a series win over India would give them a huge boost in ranking points.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

See, I don't mind if all England and Australia care about is for the upcoming Ashes. The less attention paid to series vs. India prior to the series, the more likely India will catch them off guard. :p

Thirdman1

Banned
Australians value the ashes more than any series, like us Indians value an Indo-Pak series(a flat track slugfest being an exception) over any other series.
Speak for yourself. I value a series against SA and OZ more than any other side.

Sir Alex

Banned
@spark and Teja,

I am aware of the rich tradition and importance behind the Ashes and I respect it as a contest hugely because it is perhaps the only 5 test series now.
But it makes no sense when someone posts rubbish like 'Let's not play any test cricket but stay at home and prepare for Ashes', it's not as if Aus will be playing a tight schedule till the Ashes. Actually they have only the 2 Pak tests in Eng in about 10 months preceding the Ashes. So that logic from social made no sense whatsoever.

@social,

Not enough justification mate there. India can afford to play it safe and retain it's no.1 rank, without playing anything, till the next FTP scheduled series, which is the series in SA. So it makes no sense from a conservative angle to schedule any series and probably jeopardise our rankings before that. So kudos to BCCI for taking this risk, and setting a welcome precedence for other nations. Test cricket has never got
more attention than now since perhaps the late 80s (before one day cricket took over), thanks to us becoming no.1, so Bcci might just want to utilise that. Nothing wrong in that as it is a win win situation for all.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Nah, it was never a good post tbh. It misrepresented completely what Social said.