• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Infamous

burr

State Vice-Captain
Asif. Whenever I see pics of him as often as not he's smiling. This would seem to indicate he's either a wuckfit, doesn't care what people think or (my guess) still doesn't think he's actually done anything wrong despite an impressive body of evidence to the contrary.

Deep down I suspect Adam's mad Uncle Roy knew he was a ****.
I don't suspect his deep levels of introspection proved particularly comforting to his disfigured wife.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Asif. Because I already would have been campaigning for him in this thread had he never bowled a ball. Spot fixing the icing on the cake really.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
HAHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHHA YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That picture is ****ing brilliant. You have outdone yourself LHC. WAFG

the big bambino

International Captain
Oh come on. Has to be Asif How many chances does he get? Even now his ban isn't permanent. At least CW should punish him to extent of his crimes.

Ok Gilchrist branded his wife with an iron. At least he didn't shoot her dead like Les Hylton did his.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Gilchrist - If only to set up the most fitting final possible.

The despicable, wife-beating, hot-headed bloke who you can see is a **** from seven miles away v. the sartorially suave, manipulating, holier than thou douchebag.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Semi-final 2 Results:

Roy Gilchrist - 11
Mohammad Asif - 6

Fun fact: Gilchrist tied with Azharuddin in Round 1, whom Asif probably would have beaten.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Pakistan spared the ignominy of winning this thing, despite having a plurality of Round of 16ers, quarter-finalists and semi-finalists.

In any case,

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Battle of the Infamous: Final

After five months and 838 posts, we've reached the ninth circle of cricketing sociopaths, nutjobs, fixers, chuckers, profiteers, racists, trolls, pugilists, ****olders and most of the world's commentators.

Have fun.

Roy Gilchrist (West Indies)

Crimes:

- Needlessly destructive with ball and personality
- Profligate and deliberate use of beamers
- Picked up a stump and hurled it at a Lancashire league batsman's head, hitting him
- High-profile sending home by Gerry Alexander after Gilchrist allegedly pulled a knife on him
- A few violent tendencies
- ...culminating in branding his wife's face with an iron
- Began coaching career by being invited by the BCCI to India to help Indian batsmen play fast bowling

"A tragedy born of the interaction between a flawed individual and a malformed society, an almost Greek inevitability as man and system proceeded to their inevitable and final collision." - Former Jamaican prime minister Michael Manley

"Your wife is a sympathetic woman, and more than you deserve. I hate to think English sport has sunk so far that brutes will be tolerated because they are good at games." - The judge at his domestic violence hearing[/QUOTE]

"[The batsman] was then bombarded by chatter from the close-in fielders who told him (some apparently out of genuine concern for his well being) that he might have acted unwisely, because Gilchrist was now bound to get riled up, and by disrespecting the notoriously volatile pacer by needlessly hitting his first ball to the boundary, he might have placed his very life in jeopardy." - Garfield Robinson

"Tales of atrocity, some perhaps arising from the proverbial tendency to give a dog a bad name, continued to emerge about his violently over-reactive attitude to batsmen and his unsparing use of the bouncer. Even charity matches were not free from his ferocious assaults." - Wisden obituary[/QUOTE]

Wasn't he that West Indian nutcase that thought the beamer was a legitmate delivery, bounced people in charity games and skulled a guy with a stump during a game?
Dude... Roy Gilchrist was an angry, angry man. Probably the most vicious quickie the World has ever known.
Branded his wife's face with an iron, says it all really. Gilchrist, the complete ****.
He almost killed a guy who's claim to fame was that he had the same name as me :laugh: :laugh:

Gilchrist was a super fast bowler who was more than a bit violent. Wanted to kill the batsman with his beamers if he was hit. Didn't think twice about chucking them. Some guy :unsure: :unsure:

When I was a kid at club cricket, I heard from my seniors that batsmen preferred to throw away their wickets in a hurry rather than face him. Some big names were thrown around along with those allegations.

His reputation was HUGE.
After reading about the Iron incident, I think I will have to change my opinion on who the worst person to have played cricket is. Gilchrist
Must have made for an awkward dressing room team mate.
After reading this it's intregued me... and I don't mean our Pakistani forum-member who uses the name as his screenname...I mean the West Indian seamer who was something bordering on a disgrace to the game.
And the final, damning, guilt by association:
I had a few beers with him in the mid 90's.

Hansie Cronje (South Africa)

Crimes:

- All the characteristics of a ****, except the warmth and depth
- Protagonist of the most spectacular match-fixing scandal in cricket's history
- Looked a little too suave in leather jackets for his own good
- Bringing down Herschelle Gibbs and Henry Williams with him
- Chucked a stump through the umpire's door after Mark Waugh was given a match-winning life
- Confession starts at 2:07
- Transcript of Henry William's testimony against Cronje (some hilarious ****ups by the translator)
- Bookies: How we did it

"I have not been entirely honest." - Cronje in a 3am phone call to Ali Bacher, 13 years ago to the day

"Of course the team decided against taking the bribe, but even so, it hadn't been an immediate and strong reaction to an activity totally abhorrent to the notion of sport." - Herschelle Gibbs on the initial offer

"I was busy preparing and finishing in the bathroom, and I came from the bathroom into my room. I saw Mr Cronje in our room with a big smile on his face. He was busy talking to Gibbs. I joined the conversation, and Mr Cronje said that somebody phoned him, he did not mention any name. There's a certain amount of money that they will give to us if we throw the game." - Henry Williams to the King Commission

"It wasn't even enough to cover my legal expenses." - On the size of his bookie payments

"If you look at my entire life, how I played, how I trained, losing didn't come easy to me." - Hansie doesn't take the easy way out

"Since that day, in a moment of stupidity and weakness, I allowed Satan and the world to dictate terms to me rather than the Lord." - Cronje revealing Lucifer's terrible shot selection

"You bet it has Mark, my money's definitely on them for sure, 7 for 635, they'd be odds on the Australians. New Zealand I'd wager will have a devil of a time trying to score that many. The result of this match pretty much a foregone conclusion really, and that's how I like them Mark. Yes Mark, it's a safe bet they would be ****ting themselves, I'll give you the tip. Selectors are gambling on some of the new players finding form, and I know a couple of senior players desperately needed to fix their games." - Billy Birmingham, The 12th Man

"Cronje once even agreed on $15,000 for a fix." - Osman Samiuddin

“He always had an adventurous part of him that was inquisitive. Playing cricket year in year out, living in hotels and airports I think becomes tedious and boring after a while. Maybe a bit of boredom set in and maybe this was something a bit interesting.” - Frans Cronje, brother of Hansie

"Even the testimony last Thursday of Cronje, the captain of the 'rainbow nation' so mesmerised by pots of gold, proved anti-climatic. Those expecting some sort of South African Moriarty at the centre of a web of deceit were instead confronted by the shambling shell of a man, mortified by his weakness for 'easy money' and still strangely oblivious to the extremity of his disgrace." - Gideon Haigh during Cronje's trial

I still say given South African racial history that the white Afrikaaner captain dragging two young coloured players into his dastardly schemes is one of the most despicable acts in any professional sport.
The sheer sanctimoniousness of the man invokes nausea, even beyond his actual crimes against the game that he was supposed to love.
He looks like a scrotum and his testimony never stops making me want to vomit.
even the design of the leather jacket betrayed what a tedious **** he was
Cronje was a shocker because of his Perfect Genetleman St.Hansie persona.
The religious hypocrisy aspect just tips the scales and, whilst he is most assuredly as dead as Jacob Marley, it should probably be noted that if he wasn't too fecking mean to buy a ticket for a passenger plane he'd never have been on the cargo aircraft that crashed in the first place.

&, althpough I'm sure it's a tragedy for his family, his death did at least spare the wider cricketing community the emetic redemption story where the beetle-browed client prostrated himself before his god and was re-embraced unto the heaving Afrikaner bosom.
as much as a **** Cronje is, I won money on that Test Match:p
For me, the main source of bitterness was that. It was sometimes hard to be a SA supporter (especially a non-white one,) you were surrounded by people who disliked the team yet you still had faith in this guy, his pious image of righteousness, the certainty in your heart that you may lose but this team and captain would never, ever give up without a fight. He was *the man*

And then the news broke in India, my uncle called us up just before school and told us to turn on the TV, he'd always said someone's going to fall from grace soon so he was almost reveling in it. Now, I'm of Indian origin but that mattered little. Who were those (probably corrupt & overweight) Indian cops to say those horrid things?

He'd never do that, our Hansie, pure as the driven snow he was. He did do it though and it became more and more apparent after every passing hour, but that hope was still there. Hansie still denied it and for me, that meant it was still nothing more than lies. Then he said he did it and that was that.

I'm still a big Proteas fan and always will be but SA cricket has never recovered from that day. He shattered the image of the sport, he sold us out for a frakking leather jacket and a meagre handful of silver.
Finally, some perspective:
Never mind the tragedy of Cronje's death, it's a darn shame he didn't play more ODIs than he did.

Last edited: