• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Cricketers

BoyBrumby

Englishman
And the winner is....

Well that's yer lot then. By a margin of 8-5 CW's verdict is that Sir Richard Hadlee is the greatest fast bowler to draw breath. Congratulations to him!

FWIW I'd have voted for Curtly, I don't think there was much Hadlee could do that he couldn't & Ambrose was appreciably quicker & far more hostile too, but such is democracy! :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Battle of the Englishmen

Ok, due to popular demand (i.e. Jamee & Jono) next up from Brumby Productions™ (company motto: "Apathy is our...er, yeah, whatever") is

The Battle of the Englishmen

I think 32 players seems about right. For the purposes of the thread "Englishman" embraces anyone who has played tests or ODIs for England, so if there are any Tony Grieg or Robin Smith advocates out there feel free to nominate.

I've started off with a list of 10 players who choose themselves:

WG Grace: 1098 test runs @ 32.29, 9 test wickets @ 26.22
SF Barnes: 189 wickets @ 16.43
Jack Hobbs: 5410 test runs @ 56.94
Herbert Sutcliffe: 4555 test runs @ 60.73
Wally Hammond: 7249 test runs @ 58.45, 83 test wickets @ 37.80
Sir Leonard Hutton: 6971 test runs @ 56.67
Jim Laker: 193 wickets @ 21.24
Fred Trueman: 307 test wickets @ 21.57
Ken Barrington: 6806 test runs @ 58.67
Ian Botham: 5200 test runs @ 33.54, 383 test wickets @ 28.40

so I need 22 more Englishmen for the battle to be joined. I guess every player should be seconded too to avoid any insane (i.e. Rikki Clarke) choices... :p

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Geoff
Willis
Tyson
Knott
Larwood
Bedser
Jardine
Gooch
Wardle
Stewart
Underwood
May
Cowdrey
Compton
Gough
Grieg
Hendrick
Gower
CB Fry
Flintoff
Verity
Rhodes
Hirst

There is a list of 23. Some may need explaining like Hendrick, Stewart, Gough and Wardle.
Hendrick- Was an exceptional bowler, good height, pace, bounce and movement but oft injured
Stewart- IIRC best batting average of any England keeper and then add in what he did opening the batting eg the 2 100s in a game vs WI
Gough- Over 200 Test wickets so deserves to be there
Wardle- Great bowler and great average but low profile

Just of the top of my head to make a contribution. Im sure I have probably missed someone very obvious off.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Does Ranjitsinji count as an English player ?

Anyways my list (in addition to the names already said earlier)

Nasser Hussain
RanjitSinji
Greame Hick
Arthers
Alan Lamb

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sanz said:
Does Ranjitsinji count as an English player ?

Anyways my list (in addition to the names already said earlier)

Nasser Hussain
RanjitSinji
Greame Hick
Arthers
Alan Lamb
For the purposes of the thread, yes! :)

Ok, The Baconator & Goughy both agree on Sir Geoffrey, so he joins the original 10.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
More secondings:

Fred, because we need a 20th century lad
Gooch, long and eventually illustrious career
Deadly, last English spin legend
Compton, brylcreem boy
Jardine, most inventive captain
Knott, best wicketkeeper
Tyson, legendary couple of seasons (and plagued worse by injuries than Simon Jones...)
Cowdrey, 114 Tests and a heck of a lot of runs

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
More secondings:

Fred, because we need a 20th century lad
Gooch, long and eventually illustrious career
Deadly, last English spin legend
Compton, brylcreem boy
Jardine, most inventive captain
Knott, best wicketkeeper
Tyson, legendary couple of seasons (and plagued worse by injuries than Simon Jones...)
Cowdrey, 114 Tests and a heck of a lot of runs
All duly noted. 21 now entered.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Illingworth should maybe be there for his captaincy and trouncing the Aussies as maybe should his spearhead John Snow