• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Cricketers

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I second Willis, Hussain and Gough

I nominate Trescothick, the 11th all-time top run scorer for England. Even though I advocated his dropping four days ago :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok we're now up to 28. A 28 which includes Allan Lamb & Nasser Hussain, but not some of the more illustrious names of the past. Hmm.

I'm going to break my neutral stance & nominate Ted Dexter & Eddie Paynter, 'cos I think they're at least worthy of consideration.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
C'mon people.
Can we not get Verity, Rhodes, Snow, Larwood, Statham, Wardle or May seconded.

Interesting that guys like Graveney,Lohmann, Briggs, Woolley etc have not been nominated and pioneers like Bosanquet have been ignored.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Battle of the Englishmen update

Ok, we have 30 confirmed starters, who are as follows:

WG Grace
SF Barnes
Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Wally Hammond
Sir Leonard Hutton
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman
Ken Barrington
Ian Botham
Geoffrey Boycott
CB Fry
David Gower
Andrew Flintoff
Graham Gooch
Derek Underwood
Denis Compton
Douglas Jardine
Alan Knott
Frank Tyson
Colin Cowdrey
KS Ranjitsinjhi
Allan Lamb
Alec Bedser
Les Ames
Bob Willis
Nasser Hussain
Darren Gough
Ted Dexter
Harold Larwood

We need 2 more for battle to be joined. The following have all been nominated, so require a seconding to join the battle. All nominations by Goughy unless otherwise stated:

Statham (The Bacontaor), Wardle, Stewart, May, Grieg, Hendrick, Verity, Rhodes, Hirst, Hick (Sanz), Atherton (Sanz), Vaughan (Marc), Illingworth, Snow, Brearley (Sanz), Trescothick (GeraintIMH), Paynter (me)

Or feel free to nominate anyone unjustly ignored. :)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nasser Hussain is on the list but there is no Graham Thorpe, ****ing outrageous.

Also no love for Robin Smith?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TT Boy said:
Nasser Hussain is on the list but there is no Graham Thorpe, ****ing outrageous.

Also no love for Robin Smith?
Such is democracy. :wacko:

Do I take it you are nominating Thorpey & Robin?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Second Wilfred Rhodes.

More wickets in first-class cricket then anyone else, and he could bat.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
grecian said:
Second Wilfred Rhodes.

More wickets in first-class cricket then anyone else, and he could bat.
Excellent. We now have a quorum. I'll make the draw & post the first battle in due course. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok. Time to get this show on the road I think. I've made the draw totally at random, which inevitably means some very big names will fall in the first round. I'll announce the battles on a daily basis to keep an element of surprise in the draw.

First up, two legends; one living one sadly otherwise:

Battle of the Englishmen: Round1, Battle 1

CB Fry: 26 tests, 1223 runs @ 32.18 (2 centuries, 7 half-centuries)

vs

Sir Alec Bedser: 51 tests, 714 runs @ 12.75 (1 half-century), 236 wickets @ 24.89 (5 wickets in an innings 15 times, 10 wickets in a match 5 times)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A tough one for me this. Bedser clearly did more at Test level but post war cricket never interested me as much as the Golden Age and despite not everything attributed to CB Fry being true he certainly was a renaissance man.

CB Fry, vastly more interesting and culturally significant. Interesting that Im voting for a guy guilty of my most hated cricket sin, chucking