• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting against the best (since 2000)

Flem274*

123/5
Supporting what Uppercut said, until the retirement of Bond, O'Brien and the injury of every half decent bowler, bowling has been our strength this decade, especially on our own decks. The lack of a top three has been the downfall of the side, not the bowling.

FWIW, I'd agree with the stats that apart from Australia, SL and SA are the hardest places to bat in, for contrasting reasons.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Sir Alex

Banned

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Sir Alex

Banned
@ vic

The former. These 4 nations have been touring better than other countries. So it's fair to say the hosts who have the best record against these 4 are the toughest places to tour.

@ stephen,
Agreed. Waugh was insanely good in the mid nineties. Particularly had great time against windies I guess. He easily was the best batsman till about 97 when Sachin started to peak.

@ burgey,
Yes, very few have played in all three periods like Sachin, Jayasurya, Inzy, lara are the names that come to mind first. The point I wanted to emphasise is that Sachin being consistently at among the top in all 3 lists.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
@ vic

The former. These 4 nations have been touring better than other countries. So it's fair to say the hosts who have the best record against these 4 are the toughest places to tour.
Sir Alex said:
Assuming england, australia, india and south africa were the better tourists, which I think is a fair assumption during this period,
Not sure whether those four nations are a fair assumption for that period, TBH.

Wins and losses overseas between Top 8 nations in the period that you specified.

Flem274*

123/5

Sir Alex

Banned
Not sure whether those four nations are a fair assumption for that period, TBH.

Wins and losses overseas between Top 8 nations in the period that you specified.
Ha fair enough.

Still doesn't change the top 4 nations which were most difficult to score against at home.

Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Zimbabwe ahead of new zealand england etc. Interesting.

New zealand's lowly average at home is a shocker for me. Always had the illusion they were awesome at home.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ha fair enough.

Still doesn't change the top 4 nations which were most difficult to score against at home.

Zimbabwe ahead of new zealand england etc. Interesting.

New zealand's lowly average at home is a shocker for me. Always had the illusion they were awesome at home.
Well... when you just look at against SA

we were 3rd best against Aus.