• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Auction draft II - ODI

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
My team so far-

S Gavaskar

M Clarke
K Pietersen
M Amarnath

Brad Haddin
A Flintoff
D Vettori

Reserves

1) T Chappell

I am concentrating on building the whole squad here,unlike some who just want to pick the best 11.
I think a good squad is more important in the case of injuries or when players tire.And even gives more tactical flexibilty.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't see anything abnormal there. Everyone will admit (I'm sure, even you) that Daniel Vettori is a much better player in any form of the game than someone like Roger Harper. And just for the sake of debate, if you take statistics on the face value then also there is not any difference between their ER's (considering the eras they played in) and between their batting averages. 31 is an acceptable average for a spin bowler, while 34 is a shade above that. A difference of 3 points between bowling averages is not something very minute. Add to that their longevity as ODI players which is a point almost always overlooked while analysing statistics.

700,000 is not even a good price as per standards of this thread, and if I had to take Vettori in my team (I would do that if I missed all of Murali, Saqlain, Warne, Kumble, Qadir, Hogg, Harbhajan and probably Shakib) I would have paid him something as little as 700,000 and play him in my XI. As per Harper, I would have never kept him in my playing XI (as I'm sure I would get a better spinner than him) and it doesn't make sense to me to waste anything much more than $1 on a reserve player.
Condescension aside, you're taking things at face value. Scratch below the surface. Harper had a 13 year long career that overlapped with the careers of many of the great WI quicks. He had absolutely no chance of playing as many games as Vettori has for that very reason. He isn't as good a player as Vettori IMO, but to pretend that there's all that much of a difference between the two is naivety.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Virender Sehwag (RHB, 34.25 @ 103.51, ROB, 41.45 @ 47)
Shane Watson (RHB, 40.64 @ 84.29, RFM, 27.87 @ 34.4)
Vivian Richards (RHB, 47 @ 90.20, RAS, 35.83 @ 47.80)
Mark Waugh (RHB, 39.35 @ 76.9, RM, ROB, 34.56 @ 43.3)
William Porterfield (LHB, 33.14 @ 65.90)
Chris Cairns (RHB, 29.46 @ 84.26, RFM, 32.80 @ 40.6)
Brett Lee (RHB, 16.30 @ 80.44, RF, 23 @ 29.2)
Roger Harper (RHB, 16.13 @ 73.58, ROB, 34.31 @ 51.7)

Himannv

International Coach
Team so far:

1. Geoff Boycott
2. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Jonty Rhodes
6. Shakib al Hasan
7. Robin Singh
9. Andy Roberts
10. Joel Garner
11. Muthiah Muralitharan

My innings just got anchored :D

For once, nice names in the upcoming round.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
1. Graeme Smith (149 ODI, 5613 Runs @ 40.67)
2. Stephen Fleming (280 ODI, 8037 Runs @ 32.40)
3. Herscelle Gibbs (248 ODI, 8094 Runs @ 36.13)
6. Brendan McCullum (171 ODI, 3569 Runs @ 29.01, 189 Ctch, 13 Stmp)
7. Lance Klusener (171 ODI, 3576 Runs @ 41.10, 192 Wickets @ 29.95)
8. Imran Khan (175 ODI, 3709 Runs @ 33.41, 182 Wickets @ 26.61)
9. Ian Harvey (73 ODI, 715 Runs @ 17.87, 85 Wickets @ 30.31)

13. Pommie Mbangwa (29 ODI, 34 Runs @ 4.85, 11 Wickets @ 103.63)

pskov

International 12th Man
Noor Ali is very talented and could well be Afghanistan's Tammim or Morgan. At this stage of his career I'm obviously not going to have him in my XI though, unless something goes drastically wrong.

Brian Lara
Rohan Kanhai+
Justin Kemp
Wasim Akram
Bob Willis
Saqlain Mushtaq
Dennis Lillee

Noor Ali

pskov

International 12th Man
1. Graeme Smith (149 ODI, 5613 Runs @ 40.67)
2. Stephen Fleming (280 ODI, 8037 Runs @ 32.40)
3. Herscelle Gibbs (248 ODI, 8094 Runs @ 36.13)
6. Brendan McCullum (171 ODI, 3569 Runs @ 29.01, 189 Ctch, 13 Stmp)
7. Lance Klusener (171 ODI, 3576 Runs @ 41.10, 192 Wickets @ 29.95)
8. Imran Khan (175 ODI, 3709 Runs @ 33.41, 182 Wickets @ 26.61)
9. Ian Harvey (73 ODI, 715 Runs @ 17.87, 85 Wickets @ 30.31)

13. Pommie Mbangwa (29 ODI, 34 Runs @ 4.85, 11 Wickets @ 103.63)
Not opening with Gibbs and having Fleming at 3 or 4? That's the way I'd go.

With Gibbs, Smith, McCullum, Klusener and Imran your batting is pretty explosive. It'll be interesting to see how much you've got left to fill out your bowling though.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not opening with Gibbs and having Fleming at 3 or 4? That's the way I'd go.

With Gibbs, Smith, McCullum, Klusener and Imran your batting is pretty explosive. It'll be interesting to see how much you've got left to fill out your bowling though.
Batting lineup to be fixed once entire squad selected.

Finances are fine, Mbangwa saved my budget. I'm all about selecting a good First XI, you don't judge a great team based on the players in reserve.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Got Laxman for a relative steal IMO (paid three times more for Sangakkara anyway). :)

Nick Knight
Michael Vaughan
Kumar Sangakkara
Andy Flower
VVS Laxman
Sir Garfield Sobers
Ravi Shastri
-
Shane Warne
-
-

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Absolutely thrilled to have gotten Javed and I got him for a releatively good price..

IMO, he is as good as any ODI batsmen... OF ALL TIME!!!

XI shaping up nicely now.. Really happy with the choices for next round too... AB, Ponting and Miandad is a pretty awesome middle order too.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Batting lineup to be fixed once entire squad selected.

Finances are fine, Mbangwa saved my budget. I'm all about selecting a good First XI, you don't judge a great team based on the players in reserve.
Yes you do.

Having a good bench strength is pretty important . Injuries,drop in form and tiredness are part and parcel of sport and therefore all the best sides in history have had decently good bench strength.
And i guess that is the point of selecting a squad and not a 11 in any case. You do not replace Imran Khan with a Pommie Mbangwa in a crucial game and get away with it.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He isn't as good a player as Vettori IMO, but to pretend that there's all that much of a difference between the two is naivety.
I said just that. I meant (I'm quoting you) "He isn't as good a player as Vettori" and that's why Vettori might have been acceptable in my playing XI, while Harper surely would not have been. Still, Vettori would've been among the worst players in my XI (had I chosen him), so I would have paid him around 700,000; and since the only way I could choose Harper is as a reserve so I won't waste any money on him.

Vettori has a case for coming among best 10 ODI spinners of all-time, where Harper surely doesn't. And this is regardless of the 'difference between the two', that was my point.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yes you do.

Having a good bench strength is pretty important . Injuries,drop in form and tiredness are part and parcel of sport and therefore all the best sides in history have had decently good bench strength.
And i guess that is the point of selecting a squad and not a 11 in any case. You do not replace Imran Khan with a Pommie Mbangwa in a crucial game and get away with it.
I guess no. The reason was that this thread didn't have any format unlike the test thread (which had different rounds for spinners, wicketkeepers, batsmen etc.). So, had this thread been 11 rounds long, keeping the balance of the side right would have been really tough and dependant on chance.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Team so far:

-
-
Ricky Ponting (c) - 12895 runs @ 43.12 @ SR 80.1 - 148 Catches
Javed Miandad (vc) - 7381 runs @ 42 @ SR of 67 - 7 wkts @ 42 w/ ER of 4.1 - 71 Catches - 2 Stumpings
AB De Villiers (wk) - 3603 runs @ 44 @ 89 SR - 63 Catches (Protea keepers don get many stumpings ;) )
-
-
Paul Strang - 1090 runs - 22 batting avg - 66 batting SR - 30 catches - 96 wkts - 33 bwlg avg - 4.36 ER
Richard Hadlee - 1751 runs @ 22 @ SR of 76 - 158 wkts @ 21 w/ ER of 3.3 - 27 catches
Jason Gillespie - 289 runs @ 13 @ SR of 79 - 152 wkts @ 25 w/ ER of 4.2 - 10 catches
Ray Price - 73 wkts @ 35 @ 3.88 ER

Joginder Sharma - did he ever play ODIs?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, got my 2nd and last Drinks and Towels carrier.

Team so far:
Sanath Jayasuriya (Devastating Opener, 5th Bowler Spin)
Gary Kirsten (Opening Batsman)
Steve Waugh (Middle-order, 5th Bowler Pace, Captain)
Mark Boucher (Star Wicketkeeper, Lower-order Hitter)
Shaun Pollock (Star Opening Bowler, Lower-order Hitter)
Anil Kumble (Spin Bowler)

Drinks and Towels Carriers:
Hrishikesh Kanitkar ($3?, $4?, I don't remember)
Prosper Utseya ($2)

My game starts now.

Last edited:

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Delighted to get Abbas. Paid a bit to get him but I wanted to reserve my final bench player for the final round.

Team so far:
1.Matthew Hayden
3.Zaheer Abbas
4.Mahendra Dhoni
5.Graham Thorpe
7.Kapil Dev
8.Adam Parore
9.Ajit Agarkar

12.Hitesh Modi

My batting Lin-up is one of the best going around. Just need to get another top class pacer to partner Dev and I'm set