• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Atul Sharma

Whats going on?

• Total voters

Howsie

International Captain
Um just bowling in a game, we were on and of because of rain. Pretty much when my front foot landed my foot slipped forward and then the spikes dug into the pitch which hyper-flexed my knee or something like. And then my leg pretty much snapped, I was only 17 at the time and it happened 18 months ago.
So how long were you out for. Because I remeber you at Under 17's and you were pretty ****ing quick.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Um just bowling in a game, we were on and of because of rain. Pretty much when my front foot landed my foot slipped forward and then the spikes dug into the pitch which hyper-flexed my knee or something like. And then my leg pretty much snapped, I was only 17 at the time and it happened 18 months ago.
You managed to snap the biggest bone in the leg?! That. Sucks.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's me alright. Just adding some humour to the cynics here as it gets tedious to read the sceptics. :sleep:

I don't blame them though. Atul's story is unique and it tests everything people have come to accept as normal.
be that as it may, you just have to understand that there are a few here who enjoy attempting stupid sarcasm at anything "Indian"..... :p

Have people told you about the ignore lists yet? :)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Atul Sharma first over prediction
100MPH 98MPH 102MPH 105MPH 103MPH 96MPH 91MPH 94MPH 99MPH
6-----------4----------wide-----4---------dotball----1---------wide----4-------4

and out of the attack. 0/25

Howsie

International Captain
Theres some pretty sweet "leg snap" videos on youtube..makes it look pretty easy really.
I found one with a guy breaking his femur and let me tell you they are not easy to break. Howise must put a lot of force through his bowling action becuase femurs are suppose to be impossible to break almost.

YouTube - Ouch - Broken Femur

It's pretty sick, it would of hurt like hell.

SockMock

Cricket Spectator
6-----------4----------wide-----4---------dotball----1---------wide----4-------4

Didn't the IPL stop the 'predict what happens in the over and win' contest thingie?

Ponty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Hey we'd take that!!!!!!

It means at least he played a game....8-)

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Ian i know your patience has probably reached its saturation point by now on questions regarding Atul..but i just have to ask you this. I have seen the video you posted where we see Atul bowling from a shortened run up. From those it appeared as if he doesn't have a completely round arm action like Malinga or Edwards..however towards the end of that clip we see him bowling off his full run up and it appeared as if he had a completely round arm action..i was quite confused when i saw that.Could you clarify this? We have seen pace bowlers with varying amounts of round arm action like Waqar,Thompson,Fidel and Malinga..so my question is whether Atul is completely round arm when he is bowling off a full run-up?

Ponty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ian i know your patience has probably reached its saturation point by now on questions regarding Atul..but i just have to ask you this. I have seen the video you posted where we see Atul bowling from a shortened run up. From those it appeared as if he doesn't have a completely round arm action like Malinga or Edwards..however towards the end of that clip we see him bowling off his full run up and it appeared as if he had a completely round arm action..i was quite confused when i saw that.Could you clarify this? We have seen pace bowlers with varying amounts of round arm action like Waqar,Thompson,Fidel and Malinga..so my question is whether Atul is completely round arm when he is bowling off a full run-up?
Decent observation. Atul is not really round arm. He can do that and can deliberately do that if he needs to. He has been trained to also bowl WITHOUT crossover steps in his run up as well.

We have worked through some different scenarios where he uses different muscle groups to create pace. That's why he can bowl 'normally' as well as 'slingy' and each has it's merits. We have worked on him using his lower half to drive out and the top half - each independently. It is when he slots everything together that the highest speeds are achieved. But suffice to say he can bowl 3 or 4 different ways technically speaking, some of which will be easy to spot and others subtle to the naked eye.

Off a full run he will look to have his arm at 'about 11 o'clock' - rather than '10 o'clock' like Malinga. If you get too high it's harder to drive the hips in a linear way to target which is how the power is generated.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hey we'd take that!!!!!!

It means at least he played a game....8-)
No need for the roll eyes. I'm just assuming he's going to be a very fast amateur bowler in his first Cricket match ever, if it were in IPL.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So the Royals season ends with one more game, unless they make the semis. I doubt they'd try anyone new there, and would probably go with the established stars.

So it's next season then, when we do this 'will he, won't he' dance again, or will there be any cricket in the meantime?

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Myself and Ian "Ponty" have conversed via You Tube on Atul Sharma. I think we both understand and realize where the other person is coming from.

A few things which will help in regards to Atul information which I haven't thus far seen on the internet:

* Atul's ARM SPEED was clocked at 100mph+. However he hasn't been clocked in training (landing the ball). Ponty believes speed guns are too unreliable, though I mentioned the Stalker line (especially the top end sports guns) are accurate to 99.9% up to 150mph. It'd be cool to see how fast Atul gets off a full run up, I estimated (and Ian independently agreed) around 82-85mph off of 6-paces.

* He has 2 main run-ups- a 30m "conventional" one and a 12m "javelin" run-up, and as mentioned previously, he has 4 variations.

* He is 5'11". I assumed he was ca 6'1" from the vid, though there was nothing to really compare his height with. This isn't really important, but it's more information than is available on CricInfo or even the Royals' site.

------------------------------------

The fact remains there is a ridiculous lack of credible information on the internet on Atul Sharma which leads to threads like this. Ian feels he & Atul have nothing to prove, which is fair enough, though I'm sure the huge majority of people will be skeptical on his capabilities as a bowler (or even consistent speed) until we see it.

I've read the interview in SPIN, and it's sad what happened to his legs. I don't think a couple of his quotes were the smartest, though they could've come out differently than intended.

Polo23

International Debutant
I'm interested how he can have mastered 2 runups, and have 4 variations to his bowling style but it is claimed he hasn't played cricket in so long because it took an immense amount of effort and time to completely remodel his bowling style. Perhaps if he was out on the field playing once he had mastered 1 bowling style then we may have actually seen him play already.