• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Atul Sharma

Whats going on?

• Total voters

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm interested how he can have mastered 2 runups, and have 4 variations to his bowling style but it is claimed he hasn't played cricket in so long because it took an immense amount of effort and time to completely remodel his bowling style. Perhaps if he was out on the field playing once he had mastered 1 bowling style then we may have actually seen him play already.
I'm skeptical of the number of run-up permutations too.

The best (and consistently fast) bowlers of all time have been those who have "replay" actions (Lillee, Thomson, Holding, Trueman, Hadlee, Waqar, Wasim, Roberts, Marshall etc) and were able to bowl variations with minimal change to the action.

I haven't seen anything written about Atul being the BEST bowler in the world but apparently he has good control (from Ian's mouth) but I still think the top batsmen will eventually work out his action(s) unless he's able to further develop them and be able to bowl AT LEAST a stock delivery & slower ball with no change to the action. Malinga being the perfect example.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
TBH, most quicks have different run-ups they can use.
Yet the greats were able to bowl 2 different deliveries with no notable change to the naked eye which was my point.

Guys like Gough aren't a patch on the Holding's of the world IAH.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hate to be the one resurrecting this thread, but:
The subject of Atul Sharma came up and Ian informed me that due to a difference of opinion the professional relationship between the two had been ended, Ian doesn't know who is coaching Atul now. When I asked Ian why Atul didn't play for Rajasthan Royals in the recent charity game, he replied that as far as he'd been able to find out it was because Atul still hadn't recovered from injury. Ian thought this was quite worrying because it's been around 16 weeks since Atul sustained the injury and that's a very long time.

Ian said that coaches come and go and that going forward what Atul really needs is to start playing some cricket.

When quizzed about Atul's future Ian stated "He has a long way to go and a great deal of work to do, so whoever coaches him has a job on his hands. Practice is one thing, playing is quite another and supporters get suspicious if a player never plays. I just hope he's not afraid to play. The thought of something is often better than the reality so people can be keen not to spoil an illusion. Only by playing will he prove himself - one way or the other."
-Source

SockMock

Cricket Spectator
Atul Sharma in Man's World magazine

Man's World, an Indian lifestyle magazine, had a detailed piece on Atul Sharma in their last issue.

“When Atul first met with me I had him teach me some basics of bowling and he showed me some videos to give me an idea (of what he was looking for). From there we assessed Atul’s goals, strengths and weaknesses and set out on a plan to get more power from Atul’s run-up into his bowling, with a real focus on increased use of his legs and hips to give his shoulder more speed,” says Gorski, whom we contacted via e-mail. “Atul was a very good student, as he came to our first meeting after much study and reading of articles on javelin that made him understand what I was suggesting to him.”

The link:

Man's World :: The Making Of The World's Fastest Bowler

Note: It should not surprise anyone if shoulder injury becomes a recurring issue with Atul. The injury is common to javelin throwers.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FWIW, he was injured during fielding practice. Not that it matters if he is AWOL with a debt to Ian Pont. :laugh:

I don't think he is even in the RR squad anymore.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Just to close the chapter on Atul Sharma for everyone who has shown interest.

I would like to apologise to everyone here for what has appeared to be someone who has tricked everyone over his intentions - including me.

Apart from disappearing owing me money, fans also know that Mr Sharma did not play in the IPL and the Rajasthan Royals confirmed he never showed up, nor did he sign a contract with them. He has vanished.

I do not wish to be associated with Mr Sharma and fully regret being taken in by someone who even calls himself ''Conman'' on Skype.

Any unhappy fans can ask Mr Sharma himself (+919821330812, atulsharma11@aol.com) why he did this to Indian cricket supporters. Good luck getting a response.

I am happy this person is out of my life but sad it cost me a lot of money and heartache in the end. I will never trust people again.

This is Ian Pont's ost on Indian cricket Forums.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
CW to secure another fast bowler to the forums, imo.

BTW, recommend people check out the thread on ICF, with the guarantee that it will be one of the more bizarre things you would have read on the internet.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
As is often the case with one party doing all the talking, I don't think we're getting the whole story here. As a senior coach, isn't Pont supposed to be the one being solicited by the Rajasthan Royals with a contract for his ward, rather than the Royals directly approaching a nobody like Sharma without references? There's no logical explanation for Sharma taking a powder over money issues, especially if he was as good as Pont built him up to be. An IPL contract would have taken care of that.

Jakester1288

International Regular
As is often the case with one party doing all the talking, I don't think we're getting the whole story here. As a senior coach, isn't Pont supposed to be the one being solicited by the Rajasthan Royals with a contract for his ward, rather than the Royals directly approaching a nobody like Sharma without references? There's no logical explanation for Sharma taking a powder over money issues, especially if he was as good as Pont built him up to be. An IPL contract would have taken care of that.
Yeah, I agree. There is something we don't know here, something we are missing.

I think Sharma was a dud anyway. If he did bowl that fast, he just sprayed it around wildly and would never get wickets, except for the occasional jaffa. Still, I was interested to see him, and am interested to hear why this has come about.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, his IPL contract would be for like $25,000 USD, not exactly the moon.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ian Pont may have been shown up as foolish, unprofessional and irresponsible. He may have been trying out an experiment which needed a lot of money, and found a guinea pig for it. He may have built it up in some places as some kind of breakthrough experiment in fast bowling in some time. Then we find that his ward has disappeared mysteriously, then this talk of him running away with money. He even goes on to reveal his ward's phone number and email ID, so that an angry section of fans can terrorise him.

Has this coach no control over collections? Was he not aware that his ward couldn't cough up the money? Had he no backup? He's left several aspects blank, and now he's trying to cover up.

Is that even the Atul Sharma that we are talking about? Some other unfortunate person may be an unintentional victim of a massive hateful spam wave.

Has anyone ever heard Atul's side of the story?

Hang on, is this ICF from Cricketnetwork.co.uk? Most of what is posted there should be taken with a pinch of salt. A whole lot of biased posts, even twist news, and often no sense of logic. There was even a phase where forum members posted under duplicate IDs (there are many) with names of cricketers. It is a renegade forum. Someone may be impersonating Ponty there.

pasag

RTDAS
Ian Pont may have been shown up as foolish, unprofessional and irresponsible. He may have been trying out an experiment which needed a lot of money, and found a guinea pig for it. He may have built it up in some places as some kind of breakthrough experiment in fast bowling in some time. Then we find that his ward has disappeared mysteriously, then this talk of him running away with money. He even goes on to reveal his ward's phone number and email ID, so that an angry section of fans can terrorise him.

Has this coach no control over collections? Was he not aware that his ward couldn't cough up the money? Had he no backup? He's left several aspects blank, and now he's trying to cover up.

Is that even the Atul Sharma that we are talking about? Some other unfortunate person may be an unintentional victim of a massive hateful spam wave.

Has anyone ever heard Atul's side of the story?

Hang on, is this ICF from Cricketnetwork.co.uk? Most of what is posted there should be taken with a pinch of salt. A whole lot of biased posts, even twist news, and often no sense of logic. There was even a phase where forum members posted under duplicate IDs (there are many) with names of cricketers. It is a renegade forum. Someone may be impersonating Ponty there.
Indian Cricket Fans