• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Atul Sharma

Whats going on?

• Total voters

James

Cricket Web Owner
Someone may be impersonating Ponty there.
That would be my take too as his post shown here is very unprofessional, especially giving Atul's phone number and email address.

I imagine it's someone just having a laugh.... 8-)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well, his IPL contract would be for like $25,000 USD, not exactly the moon.
If Pont was expecting Atul to pay out a fee of more than $25,000 by waiting tables, he certainly had it coming to him. He'd have been pretty foolish to get into a situation of being owed more than what a cricket contract could pay out.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The news has dried on ICF, does anyone on CW have any more information or shall I, try, as everyone else has, to let the myth go.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I call bull****. The same sort of rubbish was printed about Munaf Patel before he was seen in public. As noted by SS, the fastest baseball pitchers of all time, themselves genetic freaks with specific techniques geared towards getting the ball as far as humanly possible over the mound, don't throw as fast as this guy apparently.

And what's this crap about keeping him away from prying eyes? The fastest-travelling news in the cricketing world is someone who bowls quick so for absolutely nothing to be known about this guy other than the word of a coach? Find it extremely unlikely and will be surprised if this is anything more than hype.
Haha i'll take you on for an avatar bet on that mate..if you're interested.IPL starts on April 17th,thats 23 days from now.
What's the bet exactly? That he can bowl 100mph+? If so, you're on.
I was talking about him existing and clocking above 90 mph..well lets settle it to 95 mph?
Well he clearly exists so there goes that.

But I reckon even 90mph will be pushing it. To be fair to you, avatar bet for a month if this guy plays IPL and clocks above 90mph.

Fully expect him to not play amid claims of injury or 'he's not ready'. As you said, the IPL is pretty soon so shouldn't he have some match practice by now? Going to be raw if he plays!

EDIT: Actually, add 5mph to the speed since they're playing it in South Africa. haha
Ok you're on.
Well Lambu?

In some ways, this isn't such a strange cricketing episode. Before the internets, it wasn't uncommon for ridiculous claims to be made about a new quick only for them to disappear. But this guy was a bit out of the box; training specifically to bowl without playing a match? That's weird.

At least we saw Drago in action.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A question about javelin as fast bowling prep (something I looked into 9 years ago) that Sharma is supposed to have done.

I was just reading Mark Vermeulen' cricinfo bio. He was tall, athletic and former national junior javelin champion. Why the **** did he bowl offspin?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
No.

EDIT: Well, there are some news clips from a while ago from Indian TV on Youtube if you just search "Atul Sharma". They are from a while ago though. There was also a clip involving the Rajasthan Royals CEO (IIRC) mentioning that he was a very talented player and does feature in their plans. Modi mentioned him briefly on twitter after being asked by someone but quickly deleted his generic response that he was talented but needs to get down to playing. So some stuff, but absolutely nothing substantial.

Pont did say though that Sharma has deserted him and owes him a good deal of money.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I really like the idea of having a javelin-like bowling style, it makes sense in a lot of ways. But this thread is just frustrating and lol.