• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif, Aktar in Doping Charges

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
this is shocking, a lot of crazy stuff have happened with in the Pakistan camp of late. Hopefully Akhtar and Asif are cleared and are back soon since i would hate for them to get banned.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Scaly talking sense, scary. If only he'd cut out trying to insult Pakistani supporters at every opportunity.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A bit on Asif who was injured though no where like Warne not long ago from a media report:

Asif, who plays for Sialkot in the domestic league, picked up another injury while playing in the Mohammad Nissar Trophy against Uttar Pradesh last month. The shoulder injury was said to be not too serious but he was asked to abstain from bowling for a week.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
WRT Warne I personally think the circumstantial evidence is pretty damning. The chain of events goes something like:

-Warne dislocates shoulder before World Cup that he has already said will be his swansong in ODIs & puts his participation in real doubt
-?
-Warne makes quicker than expected recovery from dislocated shoulder & is able to take part in World Cup
-Warne ingests diuretic
-Warne pinged for said diuretic

Now the "?" may or may not have involved taking something like an anabolic steroid that is known to speed recovery, but frankly I find it rather more plausible than the whole "wanting to look slim on telly" excuse. For mine potentially the only thing that separates Warne from Asif & Ahktar is the efficacy of his masking agent, which is why I'd advocate a similar ban.
Yeah I hold a similar view as well. Its all a bit sus, and it really is hard to accept the weight management excuse.

Also, was there any trace of a masking agent on Asif or Akhtar? Wouldn't they want to try and cover it up?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
The Scene Of The Crime:

Akhtar: Hey Pssssssss Asif, come here yaar.

Asif: What, what is it, and no I don't want to skip practice and watch the new Bollywood hit Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, if that is what you're trying to ask me.

Akhtar: Hey c'mon yaar, Shahid said it was very good!

Asif: Uhhh I don't know, remember last time we skipped and watched Hum Tumhare Dil Ke Darwaze Mein Hai.

Akhtar: Listen, I got a new kind of weed, and will give you if you come.

Asif: Uhhh I don't know, why don't you take Inzi with you.

Akhtar: No man I don't have the money for samosas and popcorn.

Asif: Okay okay I'll come. But only if I get a sample of that new weed right now.

Akhtar: Okay here you go!

Asif: Mmmmmmmmmmm....this stuff is awesome, where did you get it from?

Akhtar: Listen stop asking all these questions, let's go before Inzi and Bob catch us.

Asif: I doubt they are catching us anytime soon.

Akhtar: HAHAHAHA (pretending to have gotten the lame joke).

*Inzi passing by talking to the Media*

Inzi: Yea a boyz played well. They bowl well, bat not good.

Media: Good Luck at the Champions Trophy!

Inzi: Yea is Darrel Hair not there so good is all. Thank is you.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
You can't treat a masking agent and a steroid differently. Intent or long-term usage cannot be proven in people taking illegal drugs, for all we know the steroid was a one off for Asif and Warne had been taking a masked steroid or whatever for months and had done it before and so Warne was far worse. If we give weaker punishment for masking agents then cheats are obviously going to take masking agents so they'd get a weaker ban if they got caught. It is unfair to presume that Asif deliberately took a steroid to aid his return from injury and then not presume Warne took a steroid or whatever that was masked, both should be presumed as they would be in most other sports bodies covering doping offenses. Obviously if Asif proved someone maliciously spiked his drink or whatever then it would be different, but in all likelihood it'll be unproven whether Asif took the steroid deliberately, same with practically everyone ever caught.
Warne unlike the Pakistan team, is tested any number of times during the year. I know he is not the brightest player ever, but surely he would have known that he would have been caught for a masking, or steroid offence sooner rather then later.

I also hope the B sample is clear, this is yet another bad day for cricket. But if it is not (a clear B sample) I think they should be given two years.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If they are found guilty, then there is no doubt that both have to receive 2 years. The ICC has got to step up to the plate and show every other player that they won't tolerate drugs otherwise they will be setting a lenient prescedent. Which wouldn't surprise me considering how hopeless they usually are.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tim said:
If they are found guilty, then there is no doubt that both have to receive 2 years. The ICC has got to step up to the plate and show every other player that they won't tolerate drugs otherwise they will be setting a lenient prescedent. Which wouldn't surprise me considering how hopeless they usually are.
It's up to PCB because it was out of competition

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Neil Pickup said:
How often do B samples turn out negative? It doesn't look good.

I wonder if we'll see the same 'national honour' lines of argument being trotted out any time soon?
that is seriously ridiculous. If they did take performance enhancing drugs on purpose, then they deserve all kinds of ban and more. But you are jumping the gun way too early here... It is almost like kicking a person in the nuts when he is down. For all we know, it may have been taken to recover faster from an injury. Still deserves punishments and bans, but it is not like cheating and therefore ruining the name of your country.

Heck, it may have even been Warne's mum who told them to take this so that they can get slim. :p

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
that is seriously ridiculous. If they did take performance enhancing drugs on purpose, then they deserve all kinds of ban and more. But you are jumping the gun way too early here... It is almost like kicking a person in the nuts when he is down. For all we know, it may have been taken to recover faster from an injury. Still deserves punishments and bans, but it is not like cheating and therefore ruining the name of your country.

Heck, it may have even been Warne's mum who told them to take this so that they can get slim. :p
That's the main reason it's taken by sportsmen and women isn't it? I severely doubt Asif and Aktar have osteporosis or breast cancer.

It's illegal because it damages the body in the long term, not to mention giving an unfair advantage.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
honestbharani said:
The next person who uses that gets their head done in.

Matt79

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:

No - its exactly like cheating. I don't think the "I'm only taking it to get over an injury" rationale is any different from "I want to get bigger muscles". Both aims are the same - you're introducing unnatural chemicals, or unnatural levels of naturally occuring chemicals, into your body to produce an unnatural result. Its the very definition of cheating - you're attempting to procure an unfair advantage over your competitors. It disadvantages people who aren't willing to break the rules to aid their recovery - and those people have every right to want to adhere to the rules as nobody knows what the long term effects of this stuff is. I'm afraid the 'it was only to get back in time for the CT' excuse is just a rationalisation.

And I did the Warney's mum bit 4 pages ago! :)

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
With Warne I have to concede that given how absolutely stupid he is in regards to just about everything except playing cricket, it IS possible he thought he was just taking a diet pill. Particularly given his well publicised vanity and sensitivity given his physical appearance (ie. storming out of a press conference when a reporter made a fat joke about him, going to Advanced Hair, etc). Of all the rubbish excuses thrown up, its one of the more plausible, simply because its stupidity accords with what we know of Shane's off-the-field style.

That said, I don't really care why he took it, he took it. He deserved everything he got and probably more. If he's ever caught again, he deserves a life time ban.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Can I also say how disappointing and disgusting Imran and Miandad's comments about this have been. I mean sure, stick up for your team and country over Oval-gate, but to come out and criticise the PCB for: a) conducting drug tests, b) not timing those drug tests so they don't interfere with big tournaments like the CT, c) not sweeping the results under the carpet, and d) not having stopped this from happening earlier (though how they coulds give a, b and c is a mystery), shows that they have become jokes and need to pull their heads in because its them, not the PCB that's damaging Pakistan's image.
:( :mad2: :mad:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ I agree with this rudy *** candy *** above me :p

Great posts Matt.

EDIT: I can't believe the kiddy word for faeces is censored.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Matt79 said:
No - its exactly like cheating. I don't think the "I'm only taking it to get over an injury" rationale is any different from "I want to get bigger muscles". Both aims are the same - you're introducing unnatural chemicals, or unnatural levels of naturally occuring chemicals, into your body to produce an unnatural result. Its the very definition of cheating - you're attempting to procure an unfair advantage over your competitors. It disadvantages people who aren't willing to break the rules to aid their recovery - and those people have every right to want to adhere to the rules as nobody knows what the long term effects of this stuff is. I'm afraid the 'it was only to get back in time for the CT' excuse is just a rationalisation.

And I did the Warney's mum bit 4 pages ago! :)
Completely agreed.