• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

(As an England fan) The Worst Ashes You've Seen

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No, I'd have been thirteen, so have some memories of it. The most enduring being our inability to dismiss SR Waugh until the third test (if memory serves).

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
If the three debutants make their bows at Sydney how many will that bring us to?

11 who played at Bris, Stokes, Panesar, Bresnan & Bairstow have featured from memory so far, so 18? That's an awful lot for a tour.

I think this is up/down there in the worst Ashes series I can recall. The uniformity of direness has made it so. Even in 06/07 we had a couple of double tons at Adelaide.
Sounds slightly mad, but there were a few highlights in that series. Collingwood at the Gabba, KP and Collingwood at Adelaide, Cook at Perth. I'm sure we took like 7 wickets in a session at Perth too (IIRC), but in the end we were just overwhelmed by a greater team.

This series (apart from Stokes at Perth) has been horrible from bottom to top.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If the three debutants make their bows at Sydney how many will that bring us to?

11 who played at Bris, Stokes, Panesar, Bresnan & Bairstow have featured from memory so far, so 18? That's an awful lot for a tour.

I think this is up/down there in the worst Ashes series I can recall. The uniformity of direness has made it so. Even in 06/07 we had a couple of double tons at Adelaide.
As an Aussie this is the worst I've seen from England since the 90s. After Brisbane it's just seemed so easy. Almost makes me want to count all runs scored after Adelaide as massively soft.

Include the last test in England with Kerrigan/Woakes and there's 2 more.

Mark68

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yes 1989 was a shocker as Boycs would say. Captain misery putting us well and truly to the sword.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1989 was probably the worst as we were totally uncompetitive throughout - but the next seven series were pretty grim as well

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have to confess, nearly seven weeks or so since Brisbane and I'm still shocked at what England has produced this series. I didn't think they were all that, but did think them a solid, professional, experienced outfit.

I thought we may win this series on our turf, because of depth in bowling and because we just needed one or two blokes to catch fire with the cue to support Clarke - something more likely to happen at home in a slightly inexperienced side than away.

While England hasn't bowled as well as the home series, tttt the attack hasn't been terrible - they've taken enough early poles to have Australia in strife enough times to win the series. It seems, though, that England as a unit has completely lost the ability to go up a gear with the bat.

There have been a number of times they've been in a decent position, but a combo of good bowling and this strange becalmedness and lack of intent means they don't advance the game. So they'll be 60-70 odd overs into their innings and might be three or four down, but it's 3/140 or 150 odd. Lose a couple of poles and it's all out 200 stuff.

It's a bit like when I started playing golf and wouldn't hit my driver because I couldn't control it. Bloke I was playing with said "if yer gonna be in the ****, you may as well be in the **** 60 yards further along the hole."

Seven majors later and I still thank him :ph34r:

I know we all have a giggle here about #intent, but lack of it has seriously hurt England this series. It's been coming for a while with how they've batted over the past couple of years, but it's really bent them over this tour.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
1989, for precisely the reasons given by Burgey.

There are parallels with the current series - England the holders and probable favourites, an unheralded Aussie team on the back of a really poor period, and a complete an utter thrashing handed out to the Poms.

But somehow this isn't quite as horrific as that. Partly because it happens at night and we don't have to watch. Partly because England is a more professional outfit now and there doesn't seem a realistic prospect of a repeat of the misery years of the 90s. And maybe partly because I have a bit more of a sense of perspective these days. I'm nearly as old as Burgey after all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It being at night makes this worse than a home defeat for me. At least I have not been absolutely shattered for no good ****ing reason when I watch us play turd at home

Bunch of ****s, seriously

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, you're right, when you stay up to follow it there's a terrible physical and emotional investment involved. It's enormously better to be hallucinating with tiredness when elated (2010/11) than when depressed (1990/91; 1994/95; 1998/99; 2002/03; 2006/07).

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Boundaries are not the only way to score. Manipulating singles along with drop and run seem to be a lost art at times. Not sure if its s T20 legacy but fmd it's annoying when a top 6 batter can't find 1s.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Bah, you Brits can stop your complaining about how tough this is!! When it's all over you get on with your merry lives............I'm left behind enemy lines and have 18 months to look forward to of being reminded about it every day!!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bah, you Brits can stop your complaining about how tough this is!! When it's all over you get on with your merry lives............I'm left behind enemy lines and have 18 months to look forward to of being reminded about it every day!!
Mate Burgey has my phone number it's no different :ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
2006/07 at least had the benefit of Pietersen's shining light beginning to come through.

There just hasn't really been anything similar in this tour. Obviously if England win here on the coattails of a big Stokes century it will help redeem the tour a bit for England but right now only Stuart Broad has had a half decent tour. And Broad being an established player means that the fans can take very little solace in that fact.

uvelocity

International Coach
1989 was the greatest. first cricket series i ever watched, would go to bed with us going well, and wake up to us going even better. pulled so many sneaky excuses to stay up a bit later

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah this has been a lot worse than 06/07. Even a win here doesn't really alter that fact unless we absolutely destroy them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The Aussie attack is certainly not 2nd rate.

Batting line-up as a whole? Possibly. They're getting there but still a lot of questions. Wasn't an awful statement from GFL IMO.