• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England The Real Deal?

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Some bowling averages from start of 2009 onwards:

Jimmy Anderson: 26.70
Tim Bresnan: 28.28
Chris Tremlett: 25.36
Steve Finn: 26.92
Graeme Swann: 26.89

...that's a pretty fearsome bowling lineup at the moment. As good as Bresnan is he has the highest average of this lot.
Would u elaborate which series played where do these figures include so as to get a better idea?These truly look very good for an attack in this batsman dominated era.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Would u elaborate which series played where do these figures include so as to get a better idea?These truly look very good for an attack in this batsman dominated era.
Two series against the WI (7 matches, though the away series was played on some shocking roads, 4 draws in a row); home & away Ashes series (10 matches); home & away to Bangladesh (4 matches); home to Pakistan (4 matches); away to South Africa (4 matches) and the first 2 games of this series vs SL.

Bun

Banned
Two series against the WI (7 matches, though the away series was played on some shocking roads, 4 draws in a row); home & away Ashes series (10 matches); home & away to Bangladesh (4 matches); home to Pakistan (4 matches); away to South Africa (4 matches) and the first 2 games of this series vs SL.
In other words, nothing in the subcontinent, which per conventional wisdom is where bowlers go to die.

Dissector

International Debutant
Some bowling averages from start of 2009 onwards:

Jimmy Anderson: 26.70
Tim Bresnan: 28.28
Chris Tremlett: 25.36
Steve Finn: 26.92
Graeme Swann: 26.89

...that's a pretty fearsome bowling lineup at the moment. As good as Bresnan is he has the highest average of this lot.
If you look at their records against Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka, the three decent batting lineups they have played against in that period, it is pretty average though. Tremlett averages 25 in 5 tests but the others are all above 30.

And they haven't played in the sub-continent where Sri Lanka's batting in particular is much more formidable than away.

Flem274*

123/5
Bowlers certainly die in the subcontinent, but they die elsewhere as well *cough* Napier *cough*. If you know what you're doing there (Zaheer, Vaas, Kapil, Srinath, Pakistani bowlers, the spinners) then you have as good a chance as any.

Spark

Global Moderator
If you look at their records against Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka, the three decent batting lineups they have played against in that period, it is pretty average though. Tremlett averages 25 in 5 tests but the others are all above 30.

And they haven't played in the sub-continent where Sri Lanka's batting in particular is much more formidable than away.
They just played 5 Test matches in Australia where in ten innings they kept us to only scoring 300+ twice, and 320+ once...

Howe_zat

Audio File
In other words, nothing in the subcontinent, which per conventional wisdom is where bowlers go to die.
It's unsuited to our bowlers, so we're yet to face that challenge. But it's not as though it's the worst place for bowlers in general.

Bowlers certainly die in the subcontinent, but they die elsewhere as well *cough* Napier *cough*. If you know what you're doing there (Zaheer, Vaas, Kapil, Srinath, Pakistani bowlers, the spinners) then you have as good a chance as any.
Quite. Some of the tracks England have played on in the WI and in Australia have been just as dead as anything served up in the subcontinent recently.

Howe_zat

Audio File

I'd like to see how many other attacks have managed to average under or around 30 in Australia lately.

Incidentally, those three very good batting lineups have been shot out for 98, 133 and 84 respectively.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Are England the Real Deal?

Nah, India are. :cool:

Really well written though and England are favs obv.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This thread has basically become people that have watched a lot of England lately saying they're good and people who have looked at their statistical record over the past few years saying they're not so good.

Teja.

Global Moderator
This thread has basically become people that have watched a lot of England lately saying they're good and people who have looked at their statistical record over the past few years saying they're not so good.
England has an awesome record over the last 2-3 years too though. Up until Oct last year everyone thought Australia was on par with the other top 3 and it was a four way race to the top. England completely annihilated them away from home. England's batting records are ****ing immense over the last 2 years as well along with having arguably the best bowling attack in the world. Anyway you look at it, England has been an outrageously good team over the last two years.

Can India come close to replicating later this year in Oz what England did in the Ashes? I don't think so.

England to win the coming series 3-1 or 2-0, IMO.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
England has an awesome record over the last 2-3 years too though. Up until Oct last year everyone thought Australia was on par with the other top 3 and it was a four way race to the top. England completely annihilated them away from home. England's batting records are ****ing immense over the last 2 years as well along with having arguably the best bowling attack in the world. Anyway you look at it, England has been an outrageously good team over the last two years.

Can India come close to replicating later this year in Oz what England did in the Ashes? I don't think so.

Quoting for epic pwnage after the series...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Wouldn't disagree with you there, but i would say that if the series we are playing against each other was about to be played in India then i would certainly be backing India as the England attack is unproven in the subcontinent, that may also change though after this winter with playing SL and wherever Pakistan end up playing.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
i agree with jono that england's batting is actually their strength. but what impresses me most about the team is their ability to fight back from terrible positions and win the majority of the important moments. they don't know when they are beaten and that is mightily impressive.

the windies attack comparison was only made by me since the stats connected to the number of times teams were bowled out for sub 100 scores was brought up, which i thought could be a red herring. again, i might be totally wrong...and would be happy to be so!

but interesting discussion this.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bangbatters unfortunately are a permanent exclusion in CW lingo mate.
Doesn't matter, you said England hadn't played in the subcontinent, which wasn't true.

And the pitches we played on in the West Indies series makes Ahmedabad look like a minefield, so I'm not really sure what your point was.