• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England The Real Deal?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Trouble is the ATG India batting has Sehwag and Laxman who have both got averages in the 30's against England so we don't fear them and with Ghambir + the 6th bat who have never played in England before that means a lot depends on Tendulkar and Dravid who both have excellent records here (both average over 60) but are getting on in years.

Not so fearsome a line up now is it.
You don't fear Sehwag? No offence but what ****ing planet are you on? He's the most dangerous player in world cricket and could potentially take us to the cleaners..

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You don't fear Sehwag? No offence but what ****ing planet are you on? He's the most dangerous player in world cricket and could potentially take us to the cleaners..
It was tongue in cheek to all those Indian fans who are downplaying various members of our side. If people can't see that they are on a ****ing different planet or just totally gormless.:laugh:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Trouble is the ATG India batting has Sehwag and Laxman who have both got averages in the 30's against England so we don't fear them and with Ghambir + the 6th bat who have never played in England before that means a lot depends on Tendulkar and Dravid who both have excellent records here (both average over 60) but are getting on in years.

Not so fearsome a line up now is it.
If Dilshan can score 193, then I can't see why Sehwag can't.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd take both too. Actually, if one were to pick a composite Anglo-Indian test XI who'd be in it?

I'd go for:

Sehwag
Cook*
Trott
Tendulkar
Laxman
Bell
Prior+
Swann
Zaheer
Tremlett
Anderson

No Pietersen or Dravid.
Looks about right.
I'd go for Dhoni though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'd take both too. Actually, if one were to pick a composite Anglo-Indian test XI who'd be in it?

I'd go for:

Sehwag
Cook*
Trott
Tendulkar
Laxman
Bell
Prior+
Swann
Zaheer
Tremlett
Anderson

No Pietersen or Dravid.
Agreed. Only real debateable decision would be Dhoni v Prior, under the basis of both being good batsmen but Dhoni possesing a brain.

Dissector

International Debutant
I would definitely have Dhoni as the wicketkeeper/captain. Would perhaps have Gambhir over Cook too.

Spark

Global Moderator
No way would I have Gambhir over Cook, I think only Tendulkar himself can make a case for being picked over Cook atm as a batsman. The guy is in ridiculous form. Last knocks are something like 103, 96, 110, 180-something and 80-something.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think Dhoni and Prior are interchangeable. Both high-quality bats and decent glovemen.

After that, Brumby has nailed it. No argument that tries to exclude Cook from the side is based on any kind of logic.

Dissector

International Debutant
Sure he has been great in the last 7 months but he was pretty woeful last summer and franly this SL attack in English conditions is rubbish. I would like to see how he does against Zaheer on a seaming track or against the Saffies next time round. Over the last few years I think he and Gambhir have performed similarly.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sure he has been great in the last 7 months but he was pretty woeful last summer and franly this SL attack in English conditions is rubbish. I would like to see how he does against Zaheer on a seaming track or against the Saffies next time round. Over the last few years I think he and Gambhir have performed similarly.
It's amazing how people forget. At the Oval last year, a horribly out-of-nick Cook was batting in bowlers' conditions against probably the best attack in the world at that time. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't really that solid, but he went and scored a hundred anyway.

Same thing in Durban '09. He literally refused to score on the off side until he'd made three figures.

Cook probably would have dug out of Shawshank in 30 years with a plastic spoon.

Well all of a sudden he's been given a rock hammer, and look what happens.

flibbertyjibber

I'd argue that Cook would be the choice for a series in England and Ghambir in India. Not a bad compromise.

Will be fascinating to see how Ghambir does against the moving ball and how he deals with the short stuff on this tour.

vcs

I'd go for:

Sehwag
Cook*
Trott
Tendulkar
Laxman
Bell
Prior+
Swann
Zaheer
Tremlett
Anderson

No Pietersen or Dravid.
That's a :drool:worthy team. Would have Dhoni, can't blame Indian fans for being a bit biased in his case.

flibbertyjibber

Wouldn't have a problem if Dhoni was picked ahead of Prior in a combined team, both decent glovemen and destructive batsman. Not a lot to choose between them really.

benchmark00

Dhoni definitely over Prior.

Prior still has huge technical deficiencies with the bat. Could drive a truck through that gate.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dhoni definitely over Prior.

Prior still has huge technical deficiencies with the bat. Could drive a truck through that gate.
True, but it's hard to get around his three centuries to Dhoni's none in the last year. Been much more prolific lately, which is why I'd have him in.